What made you come back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
To all of those like me, what brought you back to homebrewing?

I started brewing in college with my roommate. Graduated, but still brewed with my buddy. I moved, started my career and brewing went to the back burner. Hell, I started growing my own hops, but still did not get back into brewing.

What eventually brought me back to brewing and the plethora of knowledge on this forum:cross:, was getting that fresh can of Julius from Treehouse after waiting in line for a few hours. Since then, I knocked the dust off the equipment I still had, bought some new stuff and finally began brewing again. Now, all I want to do is produce something that is close to those famous NEIPAs.

So that is my story, what's yours?:rockin:

I took roughly a year off near the end of last year (3 years of homebrewing) before getting into homebrewing more than ever the past two months.

Two things worked together that led to my time off: I was frustrated after getting an infection (my second) in a beer I'd planned for a local contest, and I accepted a job around that time and knew I'd be moving in a few months. I didn't want to be responsible for moving fermenting beer several hours up the coast.

I recently moved to a much smaller area. The local homebrew club seemed like a nice way to get out and meet people, so I've been going to meetings. At the same time, I made friends with someone in a similar boat (moved here at the same time) who was into homebrewing. I started looking at Mad Fermentationist/Oldsock's blog for more of his non-sour stuff and decided to give it another go. My first batch in a year (coffee stout) is my best non-sour beer ever: clean, balanced, quaffable, delicious! I included in my notes that my friend used my first and last name to express how good it was ("Jonathan Doe, this is incredible!")... I took that as a good sign!

So basically, I've meet people in a small community through homebrewing, am re-invigorated after two excellent batches in my comeback, and have a nice set-up. I've been reading much more, have learned a lot, and am more passionate about this than ever.

TLDR: Frustration w/ quality + moving made me stop... new local community brought me back... more reading and good results got me hooked.

I started brewing about '96. I was in the Army. I was reassigned, etc, etc and finally landed in retirement. The fine progressive State of Alabama was leaning forward as the second to last State in the US to make homebrewing legal in 2013 so I decided to jump back in.

I stopped brewing in 1996 because I couldn't solve some problems that I was having. Research and calling suppliers was no help. In 2011, I decided there's enough information available (like Homebrew Talk, and other sources) that I could get back into it. Never specifically identified the original problem, but the process works now.

I started with a Mr Beer kit in 1995 which was nasty. Then I got an amber kit (True Brew) and brewed for like 5 years. Then... I divorced and moved.

Around 2009 I began to brew again and in 2012 decided to go all grain and I haven't looked back since!

I've never went away. I've done a few batches a year since starting. This year is my 10th.

What has really got me brewing a lot is kegging and going all-grain. Hopefully this year I can expand production even more. My goal is to brew more, buy less/none.

I started brewing back in 2000. Was fresh out of college, in an apartment, attempting to do extract kits. Basically was making garbage. Did about 6-8 brews if I remember correctly. Got tired of moving all my equipment and gave it away.
Fast forward to about 3 years ago and I started getting into drinking good beers. Everyone would always ask if I home brewed, and I always replied that I didn't want to get involved with that again. Then about 2 years ago we moved into a bigger house, with downstairs kitchen area. I went to a beer exchange where there was a home brewer with samples. I tasted his, and said if I can make something that good I'll give it a try. Plus paying $40+ for a case of good beer was getting old. Started reading here on HBT and I haven't bought but one case of beer in the past year. 100% making my own. :mug:

Brewed from 2010 till 2013. Then I moved three times in four years, living in apartments. New job kept me busy also. Now bought a house with lots of room. Looking to go all grain. Gotta fill up this space.

I just started a little over a year ago..

Side track: I used to do model rocketry- A LOT as a pre-teen and teenager. Then left the hobby during military span..Got curious about it again a couple years after getting out..Got hooked and started doing it again- now they got bigger and more powerful and more expensive..They had a term for returning rocketeers..They would be referred to as BARs or Born Again Rocketeers..So, I guess a returning brewer would be a BAB, Born Again Brewer? :p Lil bit of fun! LOL

Latest posts

Back