New/old member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richkev

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi from Fairhope, AL. It's been awhile since I was last active here, so I thought I'd re-introduce myself. I've been a member here since 2007, but I haven't been brewing for the last 5 or 6 years. I started extract brewing in 1999 after finishing my graduate work and quickly moved over to all grain. I used converted coolers for years and then cobbled together pots and eventually went to BIAB, for the convenience. I quit brewing once my kids got to an age where I wanted to devote all my time to them. But, time to start brewing again. I'm looking at the AIO systems and am about to pull the trigger soon. I'll only be doing 5 gallon batches and am looking to make my brew day quick and convenient. This has always been a knowledgeable community and great to share information. Looking forward to getting back in the saddle.

Hi from Fairhope, AL. It's been awhile since I was last active here, so I thought I'd re-introduce myself. I've been a member here since 2007, but I haven't been brewing for the last 5 or 6 years. I started extract brewing in 1999 after finishing my graduate work and quickly moved over to all grain. I used converted coolers for years and then cobbled together pots and eventually went to BIAB, for the convenience. I quit brewing once my kids got to an age where I wanted to devote all my time to them. But, time to start brewing again. I'm looking at the AIO systems and am about to pull the trigger soon. I'll only be doing 5 gallon batches and am looking to make my brew day quick and convenient. This has always been a knowledgeable community and great to share information. Looking forward to getting back in the saddle.
Which AIO are you looking at?

Which AIO are you looking at?
It's a surprisingly hard decision! There are things I like and dislike about each one, but these are the units I'm trying to narrow down: Blichmann breweasy, Ssbrewtech svbs, Brausupply unibrau, Spike Solo, and the Clawhammer. I'm only brewing 5 gallon batches from now on and I definitely want 240, which they all offer...I see you are using the svbs. I have to hand it to Ssbrewtech. That thing is almost a work of art. How are your brews going?

It's a surprisingly hard decision! There are things I like and dislike about each one, but these are the units I'm trying to narrow down: Blichmann breweasy, Ssbrewtech svbs, Brausupply unibrau, Spike Solo, and the Clawhammer. I'm only brewing 5 gallon batches from now on and I definitely want 240, which they all offer...I see you are using the svbs. I have to hand it to Ssbrewtech. That thing is almost a work of art. How are your brews going?
Man I love my SVBS. It IS a work of art. Very solid. I can't find any faults with it.

The one thing that has been a disappointment is the efficiency. I am getting 50-60%. I believe that has more to do with the nature of BIAB and my process (water/grain ratio, etc). Not sure yet. I just put the new efficiency into BeerSmith and it adjusts the grain weight accordingly, so not really an issue.

I was a little concerned, going from 10g batches to 5g. However, it's much better now! I'm making all sorts of beers and brewing a lot more often. Good times!

Richkev, did you pull the trigger on a system? I find myself in a similar place as you -- getting back into the hobby after a break and wanting to go electric. I'm mostly focusing on modular systems (Breweasy Classic/Compact, Clawhammer, Unibrau, etc.) in the 5 gallon batch size so I'm trying to hear what systems others are using and liking.

Richkev, did you pull the trigger on a system? I find myself in a similar place as you -- getting back into the hobby after a break and wanting to go electric. I'm mostly focusing on modular systems (Breweasy Classic/Compact, Clawhammer, Unibrau, etc.) in the 5 gallon batch size so I'm trying to hear what systems others are using and liking.
Not yet. I'm moving my daughter to an apartment in a couple of weeks, so I'm waiting until that's done. It's amazing how much stuff girls can accumulate. I'll have a lot more room in the house once that's done. I still haven't settled 100%on which system I am going to buy, but I am leaning heavily toward the Clawhammer. If you haven't seen his videos, you should check out The Homebrew Challenge on YouTube. He starts out using the Breweasy, moves to the Unibrau, and then to the Clawhammer system. He shows quite a bit of his brewing in every video. Quite entertaining. I am curious as to what Spike is about to upgrade in the Solo, also. That might change my mind. I'll let you know when I finally make up my mind.

Not yet. I'm moving my daughter to an apartment in a couple of weeks, so I'm waiting until that's done. It's amazing how much stuff girls can accumulate. I'll have a lot more room in the house once that's done. I still haven't settled 100%on which system I am going to buy, but I am leaning heavily toward the Clawhammer. If you haven't seen his videos, you should check out The Homebrew Challenge on YouTube. He starts out using the Breweasy, moves to the Unibrau, and then to the Clawhammer system. He shows quite a bit of his brewing in every video. Quite entertaining. I am curious as to what Spike is about to upgrade in the Solo, also. That might change my mind. I'll let you know when I finally make up my mind.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've watched one of his videos just introducing the Clawhammer System but I'll check out the Home Brew Challenge series. Do let me know when you settle on one -- I'll do the same.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've watched one of his videos just introducing the Clawhammer System but I'll check out the Home Brew Challenge series. Do let me know when you settle on one -- I'll do the same.

Good luck with the move!
Will do, and thank you. I will definitely be settling on something within the next 2 months. I'm ready to get brewing again and it'll be nice to get a bay of my garage back, for myself. All of these AIO's do what I want, which boils down to ease of use. I just need to make a decision.

Latest posts

Back