What liquid to use in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
What liquid should be used in an airlock? Depending on where I looked and who I talked to, I've heard/read to use tap water, distilled water, santitizer, or vodka. I'm currently using a San Star solution in my air lock.

I just use water, sometimes vodka. I do not see any reason to use a sanitizer in the airlock. Especially in a fermenter, it is way to easy to get it sucked into the brew.

Star San is fine.

Personally I would only use that or vodka, but distilled/tap water may be fine too. But for the minor minor cost I personally wouldn't take even the slightest risk with water.

All of those will work. If I am using a freezer as a fermentation chamber, I use vodka. It does not freeze and I don't worry about it getting sucked back into the fermenter if the air pressure changes.

Star-san too! Considering the miniscule amount needed to fill the air lock, why not !

On a similar note, I have had a water bath/swamp cooler go all kinds of nasty with just water in it, I add a small amount of bleach to it now to be safe !

I always keep a bottle of cheap, bottom-shelf vodka on hand for this purpose. I have never had a contamination problem, even when letting cider sit in the carboy for more than a year. I do check and retop with vodka if necessary every three months or so.

I just use water, sometimes vodka. I do not see any reason to use a sanitizer in the airlock. Especially in a fermenter, it is way to easy to get it sucked into the brew.

Unless the airlock is overfilled, it will not suck the liquid back into the brew, just as it does not push liquid out of the airlock when gas is escaping.

I also just use StarSan...I would bet that just about any neutral liquid, as has been suggested is fine...water, StarSan, vodka... none would cause any problems sucked back in small amounts.
I've always wondered whether or not the alcohol would eventually evaporate out of vodka in an airlock...?
Out of curiosity, the OP should set this thread with a poll...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

When I started brewing I asked my LHBS that too and he suggested a few things I could do. I went with Vodka because on the off chance I spill some in, it's a pretty neutral flavor and It wouldn't ruin my beer. (Same would go for star-san considering the dilution but I didn't think of that at the time). I prefer the antiseptic properties of Vodka over just plain water, but water is still cheaper than bottom shelf vodka.

I toss my S-airlock in the Star-San bucket during the brew session. When it comes time to grab and use it, it normally has close to the right amount of liquid in it just from sitting in there.

Back