what kind of hose do you use on our kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I just got in my 10 gallon mega pot and am wondering what does every one use on your kettke for the drain ( on the ball valve)? I don't want to have to remove it every time but also dont want it to melt.

I use quick disconnects to eliminate the melting problem. Most hoses will melt if the flame touches them. Silicone is pretty high temp so you could potentially leave it on.

Thanks!! Out of all the people on this board I guess your the only one that uses any type of hose lol

Probably not much more to say on the topic.

I actually use braided nylon hoses and really only use them for water transfers now.

I keep thinking about silicone hoses but they are pretty pricey.

True. You don't happen to have any Mcmastter-carr part numbers do you?

My ball valve is 1/2"

The cheapest place i've found to buy silicone tubing is from morebeer. If your ball valve didn't come with it you will also need a hose barb.

I just got in my 10 gallon mega pot and am wondering what does every one use on your kettke for the drain ( on the ball valve)? I don't want to have to remove it every time but also dont want it to melt.

I use the high temperature hose sold at Northern Brewer, but do have to take it on and off so that it doesn't get burned. The fact is that when the barb is hot, the hose comes on and off instantly with very little effort.

Silicone is the way to go. To me, I don't know what happens to vinyl when it gets very hot so I won't take a chance. The silicone tubing from Morebeer is $2.10 per foot for 1/2" and it is rated to 500* F and food grade. To me it's worth the extra expense.

Silicone hose shouldn't melt if you leave it on. But really, if you're just using it to drain the kettle after the boil, I'd just put a barb on your valve and slide any old hose onto the barb when you're done with the boil. If you've got a stand where you're moving hoses around, e.g., if you have a pump, then you'd want some QDs, and the silicone hose is the tits.

I use the high temperature hose sold at Northern Brewer, but do have to take it on and off so that it doesn't get burned. The fact is that when the barb is hot, the hose comes on and off instantly with very little effort.

This point is important. Whatever you do, if you move hot wort, you need to secure the hoses with clamps and be sure to check them each brew session.

Nothing would ruin your day more than a boiling hot wort shower.

mcmaster.com quick disconnects
Barbed 1/2 Female 6739K64
Male 1/2 pipe thread 6537K93

I've been using common 5/8" ID braid reinforced vinyl hose for years without problems. The end fittings are nylon garden hose thread x barb. All hoses have female connectors and all equipment has male connectors. The nylon fittings stay relatively cool to the touch. I like that a lot. I could not justify the expense of the silicone hose and QD's. Someday I will probably go that way, just not there yet.

I've just been on a anti-plasticizer kick lately. I know I can't get away from it completely but I ferment in glass, keg in stainless. The plastics that do touch my beer are HDPE, PET or silicone. I also try to only buy PET water bottles now. Polypropylene is ok too (So #1,#2,#5 are all safe) I know I'm being paranoid, but can't hurt. I guess all that is left is the polycarbonate autosiphon.

This point is important. Whatever you do, if you move hot wort, you need to secure the hoses with clamps and be sure to check them each brew session.

Nothing would ruin your day more than a boiling hot wort shower.

mcmaster.com quick disconnects
Barbed 1/2 Female 6739K64
Male 1/2 pipe thread 6537K93

Thanks for part numbers!! Ordered both and some silicone tubing aswell to call it complete.

Thanks to all for all the help info :mug:

Back