What kind of equipment should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomvalois

Reaction score
Most of the beginner equipment kits I see online come with ale recipe kits. I am hoping to brew Czech-style pilsners (like Budvar, Krusovice, etc). Will the beginner equipment sold with the IPA kits work for lager recipes, as well? Or do I need need to buy different equipment?

The big thing you need for lagers is the ability to control fermentation temperatures around 50°F (10°C.) The easiest way to do this is with a refrigerator or freezer (that will hold your fermentation vessel) + temp controller (Inkbird ITC-308, or similar.) Other than that, the brewing process uses the same equipment as ales. You may eventually want to go with low oxygen brewing, as that is popular with lager brewers. But LO is an advance methodology that you shouldn't worry about until you have the basic process well under control.

Brew on :mug:

The big thing you need for lagers is the ability to control fermentation temperatures around 50°F (10°C.) The easiest way to do this is with a refrigerator or freezer (that will hold your fermentation vessel) + temp controller (Inkbird ITC-308, or similar.) Other than that, the brewing process uses the same equipment as ales. You may eventually want to go with low oxygen brewing, as that is popular with lager brewers. But LO is an advance methodology that you shouldn't worry about until you have the basic process well under control.

Brew on :mug:
Thanks for your prompt response.

A cheap used mini fridge (most will fit brew 5 gal buckets. And a $30 temp control on Amazon.

Fermentation temp is very important. Especially for lagers

If you do ale like an IPA.... as a beginner, use some kveik strain yeast like dried Voss. Then you don't worry about fermentation temperature or making starters. Just dump 1 packet and you're pretty much set. Those kits usually ship with US05 or something that needs a controlled environment.

I wish kveik yeast was around (like it is now) when i started out. Fermentation temperature ruined a lot of batches in the beginning

Last edited:
Crawl, Walk, Run.

Most starter kit’s come with an ale recipe because they are easier to brew and get a good result, even when you make mistakes, which you will. Learn the basics, understand the process, then advance.

Home brewing is a hobby of patience with a lot of work cleaning. Start simple, you may not like this hobby.

More beer is running a special right now on their Deluxe brewing kit and I swear they must be taking a loss on it just to get People Brewing. Go to their site and check out their kits. They even have a note about being out of the plastic fermenters so they will offer $100 off the stainless steel conical which even has a couple dollar option for electric temp control. It's simply on the border of free. I think that system comes for like $350 complete even with a copper immersion chiller. It's an absolute steal. A buddy of mine just bought one.

Latest posts

Back