What Kind of Carbs in Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Save me some Googling.

Beer is made from a solution in which starch has been converted to sugar. Yeast eats the sugar and makes alcohol.

Beer still has carbohydrates. What are they? Must be unfermented sugars, right?

The web says a typical pint of beer has something like 18 grams of carbohydrates. A 12-ounce Coke has 39, so about 52 per pint. A&W root beer comes in at 44, so 59 per pint. Interesting.

And pop doesn't make women better looking.

Most of the carbs in beer are dextrins. Low molecular weight carbohydrates that most brewer's yeast stains can't ferment.

And depending on yeast strain, there can also be a considerable amount of maltotriose (a trisaccharide sugar) left.

For most folks, probably all of it is broken down. I can say my hazies do not cause me any discomfort at all and they allegedly are laced with the maltotriose that London III can't process.

"Humans can digest trisaccharides with the help of specific enzymes produced in their digestive system. Trisaccharides are complex carbohydrates composed of three monosaccharides linked together. The most common trisaccharides in the human diet are sucrose (table sugar), maltose (found in germinating grains), and raffinose (found in beans and cabbage).

To digest trisaccharides, the human body produces enzymes called trisaccharidases. These enzymes break down the trisaccharides into their component monosaccharides, which can then be absorbed and used as energy. The main trisaccharidases produced by the human body are:

• Sucrase: This enzyme breaks down sucrose into glucose and fructose.
  • Maltase: This enzyme breaks down maltose into two molecules of glucose.
  • Isomaltase: This enzyme breaks down isomaltose, a type of trisaccharide found in some plants, into glucose and fructose.
In some cases, individuals may have difficulty digesting certain trisaccharides due to a deficiency in the corresponding trisaccharidase. This can lead to symptoms such as bloating, gas, and abdominal pain. In such cases, individuals may need to avoid or limit their intake of foods containing the problematic trisaccharide."

Beer contains certain oligosaccharides chains of two to ten sugars. Because our bodies lack enzymes needed to break these sugar chains into forms that can be metabolized, these sugars pass on to the lower intestinal tract where anaerobic bacteria feast away on them. And as they do, these bacteria produce a gas with a distinctive odor.

In the mashing process, enzymes present in the barley break down starch from the grains, producing mostly glucose, maltose, and other oligo- and polysaccharides such as sucrose, stachyose, verbascose, and raffinose. After the resulting wort is hopped and yeast is added, the smaller saccharides are fermented to produce alcohol. In general, saccharides larger than a three chain sugar are not fermentable. However, they will contribute to the caloric value as well as to the overall flavor of the beer, its ability to form a head, and ultimately, flatulence.

So clearly, it is impossible for beer to make us fat.
It is mostly the high caloric content of alcohol making you fat, aided by the carbs in beer able to be absorbed by the body.
One can fit in a Swedish saying here: Hä ä int körva de bli tjock av, hä'ä är sås'n.(with dialectal pronounciation, since my version of Swedish is probably comparable to a to really thick northern rockies cowboy accent)

meaning roughly: it ain't the sausage maki'n em fat(women), it's the sauce.)

Back