What kind of beer did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkeegan86

Super Bit Brewing
Reaction score
I set out to make a certain style but after two weeks of fermentation and tasting a sample I'm not so sure. How would you classify this recipe?
recipe: 5 gallon batch
• 90 minute 3 gallon boil
• 9.15 # Maris Otter LME
• 3.15 # Rye LME
• 2 # Light DME
Steeping Grains 30 minutes at 160
• 1 # Roasted Barley
• 1 # Crystal 80
• 1 # Coffee Malt
• 2 oz Nugget (60 min)
• 1 oz Fuggle (15 min)
• 2 packets Safale US-05
Thanks

A super rye RIS? Looks like a Russian Imperial Stout with way too much rye added to the base style.

Rye is generally supposed to be a max of 10% of the grist (and shouldn't be in a traditional RIS at all), and yours is at 18%+.

1.121 was the OG around 1.040 after my last reading a few days ago. My intention was a rye scotch ale, but flavor wise it definitely seems to be a stout. But when I first sampled, like a week in, it had scotch ale characteristics. Now it feels more like a stout.

Not uncommon for a Roggenbier to have a higher rye percentage than that. But yeah, for American-styled rye beers, that's a pretty good hefty dose of rye. Rye RIS is definitely what you've got there.

1.121 was the OG around 1.040 after my last reading a few days ago. My intention was a rye scotch ale, but flavor wise it definitely seems to be a stout. But when I first sampled, like a week in, it had scotch ale characteristics. Now it feels more like a stout.

I think a lb of roasted barley will pretty much turn anything into a stout, plus you've got the lb of coffee malt to boot, so rye stout sounds right. I've got no problem with the amount of rye, I've seen recipes for rye stouts and porters in the 15-20% range, I've used 20-30% in rye pales and IPA's. I actually think it sounds pretty good. Probably could do with some aging. Please report back!
:mug:

Edit: Actually, what brand LME is it? It may only be about 20% rye with the rest base and some crystal. You may be under 5% rye in that case.

It's maillard's and I just read that its only 20% rye.
Edit addition; I'm going to age it for a month or so in secondary before I bottle it.

Latest posts

Back