What is your House beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irish Dry Stout is my favorite. I alternate runs of it with something else I want to try, or something seasonal, usually a German beer, like a Kolsch, Schwarzbier, Altbier, or Oktoberfest. Also, I will do a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout late fall for Thanksgiving-Christmas.

While I brew toward the seasons and have a fair number of beers I brew repeatily, I have two that are always on tap. An English cider and a Special Bitter. 89% Maris Otter, 8% Med Crystal, 3% Dark Crystal, some Black malt for color, and EKG hops. Its a crowd favorite.

Of course!
I full volume BIAB and squeeze like it owes me money. Most of my batches are 3g, but I have blown this up to 5G and it juuuuuust manages in my Mash & Boil unit.
65% 2 row
25% rye malt
7.5% munich
2.5% crystal rye
~12ibu tettnang or mittelfruh at 60
~8ibu tettnang or mittelfruh at 15 (I prefer tettnang at each addition, but have done both interchangeable.)
34/70 yeast fermented at 50, raising up after a few days to 66ish, then back down as low as I can get (about 50) until I package.
Alternatively, Nottingham yeast at 66 throughout. Much easier and similar end product.
Shooting for 1.051 OG, usually finishes between 1.008-1.010 to give me around 5.2-5.5% abv.

I've gone as high as 35% rye, but I really like the addition of the crystal rye (and the added color) and it seems to allow me to lower the overall rye %. Its a hard flavor to nail down, but it goes over really well in my circles. But it gets squirrelly in a hurry. Without the crystal rye, I would probably bump the rye to 30% and drop a bit of 2 row. If I want it to look more menacing, I toss a pinch of special carafa 2 towards the end of the mash.
I got around to making this. Used your recipe as the base but had to make a few adjustments to what I had on hand. Nonetheless it's great. And my first time using a lager yeast! Though I fermented lik an ale. So drinkable though!

Attachments

• 20220807_133535.jpg
    20220807_133535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I have 2 beers that have been requested often and really praised, both of which took some time to really learn and perfect. One is a honey wheat and the other is a jalapeño blonde. However I’ve also made a smoked version I call my BBQ beer that was phenomenal and may well have taken over the request list.

My problem is that my wife and I mostly desire something super hoppy.

Thanks to "Brew Better Beer" by Emma Christensen, I've been focusing on her American Pale Ale and American Brown Ale recipes. From my taste/point of view the former is a tastier less hoppy version of SNPA and the later is a smoother version of Moose Drool. I keep these two beers going in rotation exclusively and only make small adjustments now.

I just discovered what will be my house beer based on the Claw hammer supply Negra Modelo recipe
I used Mt. hood hops (what I had on hand) and Cellar Science Baja yeast. This yeast gave it more character/flavor.

HB on the left, original on the right
View attachment 813850
Love me a dark Mexi lager! That looks good. Though I'm surprised they don't use any corn in their recipe.
I have several "house" beers I brew regularly, but a couple that come to mind are a kellerbier (amber style), which I love to make because you can essentially tap the beer a week or 2 after kegging instead of lagering for a long time. I also have a best bitter, Irish Red, black IPA, schwarzbier, and Vienna lager I make regularly. I rotate between about 10 or 12 recipes throughout the year.
I brewed a dark Mexi lager back in November as well that came out stellar. I had a few friends over and we did a side-by-side with Negra Modelo and everyone's preference was the homebrewed version stating it had a tad more malt/roast character that was preferable and wasn't as sweet. My recipe was as such:
5 gallons
El Teporocho
7 lbs 8.0 oz​
Pilsner (Briess) (1.2 SRM)​
Grain​
65.22 %​
2 lbs​
Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)​
Grain​
17.39 %​
1 lbs​
Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)​
Grain​
8.70 %​
8.0 oz​
Vienna - GoldPils (3.5 SRM)​
Grain​
4.35 %​
4.0 oz​
Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM)​
Grain​
2.17 %​
4.0 oz​
Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM)​
Grain​
2.17 %​
1.00 oz​
Liberty [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)​
Hops​
17.1 IBU​
1 Pkgs​
Mexican Lager (Omega #OYL-113)​
Yeast-Lager​

Attachments

• Negra Modelo vs El Teporocho.jpg
    Negra Modelo vs El Teporocho.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@beersk
The real NM had a touch more roast than mine. I would up the chocolate malt a tiny bit if I wanted to make it closer. I'm leaving it as is as it tastes great. NM tasted bland compared to mine.

This was my first time using Baja yeast. I look forward to using it some more. I started drinking this when it was 6 weeks old.

@beersk
The real NM had a touch more roast than mine. I would up the chocolate malt a tiny bit if I wanted to make it closer. I'm leaving it as is as it tastes great. NM tasted bland compared to mine.

This was my first time using Baja yeast. I look forward to using it some more. I started drinking this when it was 6 weeks old.
Great. Honestly, the recipe I posted above is way better than Negra Modelo in my opinion. I wouldn't change a thing about it either. I love Negra Modelo, I get it almost every time I go out for Mexican, which is pretty often, but I'd take my version any day over Negra Modelo. It's probably bias though but that Omega Mexi lager yeast is really good stuff. Didn't care for the helles I made with it, but the other beers, which were light Mexi lager, dark Mexi lager, and schwarzbier were all exceptional.

Seems like Cream of 3 Crops is hitting our taps more often. To the original recipe I add 1lb of sugar and 1/2 oz of Simcoe for 5 mins in the boil.

Back