What is your favorite local beer (besides Homebrew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad0Walker

Reaction score
Some of us are more lucky than others but I am just now reaping the benefits of the Dallas brew scene taking off in the last few years. I live about 40 miles north of dallas We've got
Peticolas - Velvet hammer and "sit down or i'll sit you down DIPA"
Community - Mosaic IPA and Minivan Wheat Wine
Deep Ellum Brewing - IPA
Lakewood Brewing -Hop Trapp, and Temptress
Franconia(mckinney) - All about german tradition Kolsch and Winter wheat.
Martin House(ft worth) - Rubberneck Red and Imperial Texan.

There are many more breweries but these are currently my favorites that are very good examples of some of the great stuff north Texas is doing with craft beer. We may have been a little late to the party but we have some great stuff.

Im from the bay area and the beer scene is taking off here (alongside the preexisting wine scene). A new local brewery, Altamont Beer Works, makes some good beers. I personally feel as though some are too hoppy, however some of the less hopped ones are extremely balanced and very delicious. One of their beers, Rich Mahogany, is great!

Anything from Frey's is amazing, especially Backwoods Brigade and Whack Truck McDonkey. Unfortunately they don't have a tasting room yet, only growler fills or one of the local pubs will sometimes have one tapped, and a select couple styles are available in bottles here and there.

Union has some really good brews as does Brewer's Art, but I don't get to Baltimore too often.

I'm in Seattle, there's mediocre to great beer everywhere. Two places are standouts for me and deserve more attention.

Reuben's Brews is a year old place opened by a long time homebrewer that's making lots of great stuff, especially hoppy beers and beers with rye. I've heard that they are brewing a special batch of Blimey That's Bitter (Pliney the Younger inspired triple IPA) for the Washington Beer Fest, be sure to sample it if you get a chance especially if you can get it out of a cask. They only have a 5bbl brewhouse without any room to expand so it's tough to get their beer.

I'm also a fan of Sound Brewery across Puget Sound in Poulsbo. They've been brewing great Belgian styles with a Pacific Northwest flair.

Chicago area here, just about anything from Revolution (particularly Anti-Hero and A Little Crazy) and Half Acre. I always keep some Daisy Cutter on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like White Rajah IPA & Four C's APA from The Brew Kettle over in Strongsville. Great lakes in Cleveland has a few good ones I like,Like Commador Perry IPA,Rye of the Tiger to name a couple.

I used to really enjoy Troegs Nugget Nectar, but for some reason the past 2 years it hasn't had the same "wow" factor. Kinda blends in anymore, meh.

Victory's Hop Ranch and Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Insidious are up there for me right now.

Wisconsin has the fabulous New Glarus Brewery (I have some of their Berliner Weiss in the fridge right now). They make an awesome hefeweizen and an equally awesome Oktoberfest in addition to lots of other really, really good brews. And they have what they call the "Thumbprint Series" where they do beer geek stuff like the Berliner Weiss, a wild sour ale, a Dubbel, and all sorts of other weird and fun stuff.

And there's Lakefront (which is actually on the riverfront) which has good beers and a fun tour, the Ale Asylum, and a couple brewpub/gastropub places like Vintage Brewing and Hinterland.

Damn near anything from Surly.
Abrasive, Darkness, and Pentagram are among my favorites.
Rainmaker from Steel Toe Brewing
Oar Lock Stout from Excelsior Brewing
Let it Ride IPA from Indeed Brewing

The Twin Cities area really is getting some great breweries

I have exactly one brewery within a 50 mile radius of where I live in South Dakota: Crow Peak Brewing in Spearfish. They've got a solid lineup but my favorite is probably Mjollnir Spruce Brown Ale, which is only available seasonally. For their year round brews (of which there are only three) Pile o Dirt Porter and Canyon Cream Ale are both really good. And the third year rounder, 11th Hour IPA, isn't bad, just not to my tastes as much as the others.

How local is local?

I'm in the SF Bay Area (East Bay). So not too far from me are Drakes, Lagunitas, 21st Amendment, Russian River... and a handful of smaller ones. A little further away... North Coast Brewing, Stone Brewing.

Except for a few oddballs, I pretty much like all of it! Some of my favorites are:
Monk's Blood by 21st Amendment
Old Rasputin by North Coast
Pliny the Elder (and Younger) by Russian River
Denoginizer and Hopocaypse by Drake's
A Little Sumpin Sumpin, Sumpin Wild, Sumpin Extra by Lagunitas

Cincinnati's brewing scene has taken off in the last few years. Some of my current favorites:

Rhinegeist - Sabre-Tooth Tiger
Blank Slate - Fork in the Road
Madtree - Axis Mundi

Deep Ellum Brewing - IPA

Velvet Hammer and Temptress are my favorite local DFW beers hands down. You've totally missed on the other Martin House beers with River House and There Will Be Stout! Some of the smaller guys on the outskirts of town aren't as good the breweries you've listed. I don't see some of them lasting too long.

Some of us are more lucky than others but I am just now reaping the benefits of the Dallas brew scene taking off in the last few years. I live about 40 miles north of dallas We've got
Deep Ellum Brewing - IPA

There are many more breweries but these are currently my favorites that are very good examples of some of the great stuff north Texas is doing with craft beer. We may have been a little late to the party but we have some great stuff.

Right on, just add:
FOUR CORNERS - EL CHINGON (so much better than the really good Deep Ellum IPA, imo
Deep Ellum - Dreamcrusher DIPA
Lakewood - Till & Toil Saison

Baltimore area. I really like Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus and Red Brick Station's Gunpowder Pale Ale.

I used to really enjoy Troegs Nugget Nectar, but for some reason the past 2 years it hasn't had the same "wow" factor. Kinda blends in anymore, meh.

Victory's Hop Ranch and Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Insidious are up there for me right now.

same... my favorite is still hopback.

Anything by pretty things & jacks abbey

I live in the Dallas area so I'd say:

Community - Mosaic IPA
Deep Ellum Brewing - Rye Pils, IPA

At the moment I am in Houston attending TechEd 2014. Here I'd have to say:

Karbach Brewing - Hopadillo IPA

Toppling Goliath - Dechora, IA

Not really that local, but still from Iowa and gets distributed down to Des Moines.

Ridiculously great beer, have loved every single one of their Hop Patrol Series. My favorite is PseudoSue which is an all citra APA that rivals, some say surpasses Zombie Dust.

The Dallas people do have some nice breweries around there.

I'm from OKC, and craft beer is definitely on an up swing here in OKC as well as Tulsa. Got to say may favorites are Roughtail IPA, COOP's Gran Sport Porter and Anthem's Gold One. Really looking forward to trying more from Anthem they are a new brewery in downtown OKC. Roughtail's specialty beers are fantastic. They're Hoptometrist and 1st Anniversary Ale are pretty damn good. Good stuff finally being brewed in Oklahoma.

Too hard to keep up with the Chicago beer explosion but Metropolitan is a go to, nothing but tasty lagers.

Nebraska Brewing - Hop God
Borgata - Pils
Thunderhead - Golden Frau
Infusion - Prom King Black IPA

I havent gotten a chance to try anything from four corners yet. I'll definitely try that, going to be hard to beat mosaic IPA from community

From Austin I really like the one they call Zoe and alteration from hops and grain. Every beer they make is fantastic. Circle brewing's envy is great. There are a ton of great beers in Austin. Velvet hammer is easily my favorite beer in Dallas, though I enjoy most of the beers from peticolas. Deep Ellum IPA I agree is tasty, though I had it at the brewery and it was less stellar than times I've had it since then. Martin house didn't blow me away, but I went before they collaborated with the toadies, although I will say their imperial red was the best beer I had from them. Tried anything from rabbit hole? Heard great things about their IPA and other beers.

Southern Oregon Brewing has quite a few great beers, but their Pin-up Porter is amazing.

We have a great brewery the next town over called English Ales. They make a black prince porter that we really enjoy. One of the reasons we started brewing some nice dark porters lately!

The Dallas people do have some nice breweries around there.

I'm from OKC, and craft beer is definitely on an up swing here in OKC as well as Tulsa. Got to say may favorites are Roughtail IPA, COOP's Gran Sport Porter and Anthem's Gold One. Really looking forward to trying more from Anthem they are a new brewery in downtown OKC. Roughtail's specialty beers are fantastic. They're Hoptometrist and 1st Anniversary Ale are pretty damn good. Good stuff finally being brewed in Oklahoma.

Forgot Black Mesa's ESB...awesome awesome beer.

Sours from Cascade Brewing in Portland. I had a great honey ginger lime sour tonight. I asked for a taster 1st as I am always skeptical of any beer with that much going on ( like a rookie home brewers cherry chocolate coffee stout), but it was solid.

The closest to me that I'm aware of or have tried would be St Arnold. And the Endevour is incredible.

South Mississippi here.

Southern Prohibition is my favorite. I'd kill for their Hipster Breakfast Stout recipe.

Keyword: "Local".

At Infusion brew pub in Omaha, NE, "Olsons Amber Ale" is wonderful. It's my local idol at the moment and the goal for my homebrew. ...hehe. hahahaaahaha, yeah, I'll be brewing that good soon. hahahahaha

Latest posts

Back