What is your Favorite IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I brew mostly light bodied session beers. Cream Ales, Pale Ales, and some Ambers and Browns in the fall. I have recipes dialed in. I am ready to master the American IPA. Why try to reinvent the wheel when it's probably been mastered by the great brewers here. Please include the link within HBT...

What is the best American IPA recipe posted on HBT?

You need to decide what you like to taste as the IPA group is large and varied!:)

When I saw this thread on the "Newest Threads" sidebar, I thought the first response would be a copy and paste of one of Yooper's recipes..

It really depends on what kind of IPA you like. Piney, tropical, citrusy, etc. What I've learned in my experience with brewing IPAs: Have a simple grain bill, mash low, add some simple sugars around 15 mins to dry it out and hop it to hell toward the end of the boil (and dry hop). Experiment with different hops. Figure out which ones you like the most.

Previously I asked, "What is the best American IPA recipe on HBT?" Only a few brewers replied so apparently that was too much pressure.

I am frequently asked if I brew an IPA. It is not my favorite style so I don't want to take 3 or 4 batches to dial in my own recipe. The time has come to brew it, so I'll soften my request...

Please share a link to your favorite American IPA recipe on HBT.

(Don't feel too modest to share a link to your own recipe.)

Ground work: base malt and either sugar only or just a bit of crystal. Bittering charge and then the rest of your hops under five minutes. Start with c hops and go from there. Personally, Nelson Sauvin, citra, simcoe, Galaxy, and mosaic are great aroma and flavor hops to use.

Thank you for the replies...

IPA is not my favorite style. I am frequently asked if I brew one. Rather than taking the usual 3 or 4 batches to really dial in my own recipe I was hoping to find a popular recipe that has been brewed by many and well regarded. As there are currently 625 recipes posted on HBT I was hoping to get some opinions. Apparently asking which American IPA recipe was considered the best was asking too much. So...
What is your favorite American IPA recipe posted on HBT?

OK, I haven't brewed any yet, but as far as ones I've put in my recipe book (file) I have gotten from this site, with author in parantheses if known:

Stone Ruination Clone (Yooper)
Stone Double Ruination Clone
Ballast Point Sculpin Clone
Darth Vader IPA
In A Galaxy Far, Far Away IPA
Pentacle IPA (Pascal's 5 Hop IPA)
Amarillo Hop Burst IPA
American Rye IPA
Westbrook IPA clone
Bell's Two-Hearted clone
Bierinsel Black Imperial IPA

...and I have many more just bookmarked.

:ban:

Maybe not a super traditional IPA... but you can't go wrong with an Arrogant Bastard clone from the CYBI threads. It won't break the bank on hop costs and it is darn tasty.

Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone...
It looks like a good recipe. I really enjoy Citra as aroma hops. Some say Citra gives some off flavors (cat pee) when used for bittering.

Having brewed this how would you describe the flavor and aroma?

I pick up a lot of cat pee with late additions of citra as well, but I'm a non-citra lover except in small amounts in dryhopping.

I like citrusy American IPAs with a ton of hops but not tongue-numbing bitterness so my tastes are probably different than others.

There are West Coast IPAs that will take the enamel off your teeth, while some East Coasts IPAs are not even that hoppy, and some middle America IPAs are in the middle as to bitterness and hopping.

It's really hard to give an idea of a great recipe that we love since it's hard to know what you're looking for. I like all styles, but can't really give a suggestion until we know what it is you'd like to create, or emulate, for your own.

Yeah, sorry but this thread is just like your other one. It's hard to guide you when we don't know what you like (aside from it's not really your style).
I can put you in the direction of the Heady Topper clone thread (sorry, don't know how to include the link, but just search for it). That's MY favorite ipa recipe on HBT. But it's a west coast style and perhaps that's really not your thing. Or it's not your friends thing, whomever you're brewing for.

Answer this question: when you taste an ipa do you want to most be hit with:
1-a huge citrus/piney taste
2- a balance between hips and malt
3- mostly malt, with some sweetness added by the caramel/crystal malt?

Those first two recipe replies were exactly what I was asking for...I brewed it and I liked it. So I'm not asking what IPA recipe you think I will like. IPAs are not my favorite anyway. I want to see what the bitter hop heads are brewing. I am a member of two local Homebrew clubs. I am known for my delicate subtle beers, light cream ales and pale ales. No one expects me to brew an IPA. So I want to knock them out with an awesome IPA but would rather not have to drink 3 or 4 mediocre ones before I get it dialed in...so I'm asking...

What is your favorite American IPA recipe on HBT?

Those first two recipe replies were exactly what I was asking for...I brewed it and I liked it. So I'm not asking what IPA recipe you think I will like. IPAs are not my favorite anyway. I want to see what the bitter hop heads are brewing. I am a member of two local Homebrew clubs. I am known for my delicate subtle beers, light cream ales and pale ales. No one expects me to brew an IPA. So I want to knock them out with an awesome IPA but would rather not have to drink 3 or 4 mediocre ones before I get it dialed in...so I'm asking...

What is your favorite American IPA recipe on HBT?

Here is my DIPA. I don't really brew single IPA. Just sessions and DIPAs.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.20 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.32 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 14.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 13.50 gal
Estimated OG: 19.924 Plato
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 189.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
17 lbs                Great Western 2-Row (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        44.7 %        
17 lbs                Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)            Grain         2        44.7 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         3        3.9 %         
4.00 oz               Apollo [17.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           4        81.4 IBUs     
2.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        5        -             
2.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           6        12.8 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Boil 15. Hop           7        18.7 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Northern Brewer [10.30 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop           8        11.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           9        14.1 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Centennial [8.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  3 Hop           10       9.0 IBUs      
2.50 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Steep/Wh Hop           11       18.1 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Northern Brewer [10.30 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop           12       10.6 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Simcoe [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30.0 Hop           13       13.7 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         14       -             
2 lbs 8.0 oz          Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)         Sugar         15       6.6 %         
2.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days     Hop           16       0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Dry Hop  Hop           17       0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days      Hop           18       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days     Hop           19       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Dry Hop  Hop           20       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days      Hop           21       0.0 IBUs

I mashed too low last time and it finished at 1.005. Tasted fine but I want to drop the abv from 10% down to 9% and that will require a little bit higher FG to maintain the body. This was sorta based on one of the enjoy by DIPA recipes from stone. I just used hops that I keep on hand to finish things. I pitch this at 1 mil cells/ºP. Ferment at 65 until krausen drops and then ramp to 68 to finish. It is done fermenting in about 5 or 6 days.

Apparently a Forum Admin unified my threads. Whoever did so please change the Title to "What is your favorite IPA recipe?" I got so few responses to "What is the best IPA recipe?" that I made a new thread. That was very confusing.

Thanks for the reply. Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone...
It looks like a good recipe. I really enjoy Citra as aroma hops. Some say Citra gives some off flavors (cat pee) when used for bittering.

Having brewed this how would you describe the flavor and aroma?

It's really citrusy. A lot of grapefruit. The bitterness balances it out well. I've never picked up "cat pee." People say the same about simcoe hops too and I've never experienced "cat pee" with them either. The Heady Topper clone is awesome if you want a DIPA. I just ordered the kit for it from Farmhouse brewing. Came with everything you need plus the yeast for $50.

I'm not an IPA pro, but what I have learned is that you want a simple grain bill. You want to mash low. You want to add a lot of hops late...whirlpool, dry hop, keg hop. I'm a fan of First wort hopping in general. While this might not give the bitter punch "hop heads" are looking for, it tastes damn good. Smooth, rounded, firm... (I promise I'm not talking about boobs)

Next thing, if you want to blow the minds of your fellow club members, is to serve it super fresh. I'd say this is set your CO2 to 30PSI and shake the hell out of it 3 days before bottling and serving territory. The amazing in you face aroma goes away REALLY fast.

So, of course, fermentation needs to be super clean. You can't have stuff that needs to be "conditioned out" because your hop flavor and aroma will condition out right along with the rest of it. Being a delicate beer guy I'll assume you're good on this point.

Here is my DIPA. I don't really brew single IPA. Just sessions and DIPAs.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.20 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.32 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 14.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 13.50 gal
Estimated OG: 19.924 Plato
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 189.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
17 lbs                Great Western 2-Row (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        44.7 %        
17 lbs                Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)            Grain         2        44.7 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         3        3.9 %         
4.00 oz               Apollo [17.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           4        81.4 IBUs     
2.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        5        -             
2.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           6        12.8 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Boil 15. Hop           7        18.7 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Northern Brewer [10.30 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop           8        11.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           9        14.1 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Centennial [8.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  3 Hop           10       9.0 IBUs      
2.50 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Steep/Wh Hop           11       18.1 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Northern Brewer [10.30 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop           12       10.6 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Simcoe [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30.0 Hop           13       13.7 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         14       -             
2 lbs 8.0 oz          Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)         Sugar         15       6.6 %         
2.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days     Hop           16       0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Dry Hop  Hop           17       0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days      Hop           18       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Chinook [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days     Hop           19       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Dry Hop  Hop           20       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days      Hop           21       0.0 IBUs

Thanks for the recipe...there it is again Columbus hops.

What is it about the Columbus hops that makes them so popular?

It's really citrusy. A lot of grapefruit. The bitterness balances it out well. I've never picked up "cat pee." People say the same about simcoe hops too and I've never experienced "cat pee" with them either.

I agree about Simcoe hops. I have used them and I have not noticed the cat pee aroma. I have used Citra for aroma and don't pick it up there either. Maybe we are just not sensitive to it or we like the smell of cat pee? :cross: Hahaha I hope not!

I like citrusy American IPAs with a ton of hops but not tongue-numbing bitterness so my tastes are probably different than others.

I agree with you Yooper. I'm also from Michigan (troll). Bell's Two Hearted and Darkhorse Crooked Tree are so good up front but make me cringe when I swallow the bittering but I want to impress my IPA addicted Homebrew friends so I'm up to it.

They are pungent and dank. Some people love that. Some hate it.

Hate it personally but is the Columbus dankness essential right now?

I'm not an IPA pro, but what I have learned is that you want a simple grain bill. You want to mash low. You want to add a lot of hops late...whirlpool, dry hop, keg hop. I'm a fan of First wort hopping in general. While this might not give the bitter punch "hop heads" are looking for, it tastes damn good. Smooth, rounded, firm... (I promise I'm not talking about boobs)

Next thing, if you want to blow the minds of your fellow club members, is to serve it super fresh. I'd say this is set your CO2 to 30PSI and shake the hell out of it 3 days before bottling and serving territory. The amazing in you face aroma goes away REALLY fast.

So, of course, fermentation needs to be super clean. You can't have stuff that needs to be "conditioned out" because your hop flavor and aroma will condition out right along with the rest of it. Being a delicate beer guy I'll assume you're good on this point.

I agree. I'm going to time it so it's ready just before the next meeting.

I see Columbus hops in many of the popular American IPA recipes. I was drinking some IPAs at the local brew pubs and started noticing that flavor and couldn't put my finger on it and somebody said "dank". Yeah a little earthy/musty to me.

Is that dank flavor important to an excellent American IPA right now?
What is your favorite American IPA recipe?

Just recently made my take on zombie dust. Did a little research. Made a few changes. It is awesome. Great tropical fruity citrus mango flavor from hops. Surprisingly malt keeps it steady. And not a palate bruiser either. Only 6% abv and IBUs are nice and easy. Although beersmith calculates over 70 IBUs after whirlpool hops- it's more like a 50 IBUs feel. Going off by memory right now:

OG- 1.065
FG- 1.015

80% pale malt
8-9% munich
3-4% carafoam/ Carapils
3-4% crystal 60L
3-4% melanoiden

columbus and Simcoe - FWH- 35-40 IBUs
.5 oz citra-15 min-7-8 IBUs
.5 oz citra-10 min-5 IBUs
.75 oz Citra-5 min-5 IBUs
.75 oz citra- 1 min
.25 oz Amarillo and simcoe-1 min

Simcoe- .25 oz, Amarillo- 1 oz, Citra- 1.75 oz @ flameout- whirlpool/hop stand for 20 minutes

Dry hop- 2.5 oz citra, .5 oz Amarillo, .25 oz simcoe for 5-7 days

WLP007 ( dry English)

Mashed at 152

Minor water treatment- calcium- 75, SO4- 160, Cl-30, Mg-5, Na-12

Ferment 62-65 for first 2 says, climbed to 67-68 afterwards

Just recently made my take on zombie dust. Did a little research. Made a few changes. It is awesome. Great tropical fruity citrus mango flavor from hops. Surprisingly malt keeps it steady. And not a palate bruiser either. Only 6% abv and IBUs are nice and easy. Although beersmith calculates over 70 IBUs after whirlpool hops- it's more like a 50 IBUs feel. Going off by memory right now:

OG- 1.065
FG- 1.015

80% pale malt
8-9% munich
3-4% carafoam/ Carapils
3-4% crystal 60L
3-4% melanoiden

columbus and Simcoe - FWH- 35-40 IBUs
.5 oz citra-15 min-7-8 IBUs
.5 oz citra-10 min-5 IBUs
.75 oz Citra-5 min-5 IBUs
.75 oz citra- 1 min
.25 oz Amarillo and simcoe-1 min

Simcoe- .25 oz, Amarillo- 1 oz, Citra- 1.75 oz @ flameout- whirlpool/hop stand for 20 minutes

Dry hop- 2.5 oz citra, .5 oz Amarillo, .25 oz simcoe for 5-7 days

WLP007 ( dry English)

Mashed at 152

Minor water treatment- calcium- 75, SO4- 160, Cl-30, Mg-5, Na-12

Ferment 62-65 for first 2 says, climbed to 67-68 afterwards

Thanks for the recipe. Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra. I like your hop combinations. There's that Columbus again. As a bittering addition do you think it add any dankness?

Yes, it adds a level of dankness. This has been established. If you are a clean beer guy who isn't into the dank, earthy hop funk, I'd say stay away from it. I like some bottom end on my IPAs, so I brew doubles and use funky hops for some backbone. I'll bet you make some really clean beers. You might use that skill set to make a great, light IPA. Something along the lines of Firestone Walker Easy Jack.

Not claiming this to be anythign close to the "best" IPA recipe floating around here, but here is one I've been tweaking. I really like the hop pairing of Belma and Huell Melon. Amazing strawberry, cantaloupe, and blueberry flavors that I've never tasted in a beer before. Still looking for the best 3rd hop to compliment. This weekend Ill be trying it out with Pacific Gem. its blackberry flavor should meld well I'm hoping...the golden naked oats are key IMO

5 gal batch OG/FG: 1.070/1.014 (assuming 80%AA)
yeast: Conan

7 lb 2 row
2.5 lb wheat
1 lb vienna
6 oz Golden Naked Oats
1 lb cane sugar

@60min: 1 oz of.....whatever high alpha hop you have lying aroung
@15min: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon
@0min: 2 oz Belma / 2 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz Pacific Gem / 1 oz Citra
*hopstand for 45 min or so
@20min into hopstand: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz Pacific Gem
@dry: 2 oz Citra
@keg: 1 oz Citra

Mash low 148-150
Pitch at low 60s, ferment at mid 60s, keg after 2 weeks

I am not A IPA fan but I brewed a Bells 2 Hearted for a friend it came out nice and was a easy drinker, :)

+1 on the above.. I would say if you're not a big IPA fan, but want to brew an IPA, a Two Hearted clone might be a good choice. Lots of people that love and drink Two Hearted don't even know it's an IPA

Back