What is your favorite intoxicant next to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite intoxicant next to beer?

• Mead

• Bourbon whiskey

• Gin

• Wine (also including champagne and port)

• Rum

• Tequila/Mezcal

• Brandy/Cognac

• Vodka

• Scotch whisky

• Other: tell us in a post

Results are only viewable after voting.
You should have made this multiple options.

How can I make this decision? I voted bourbon, but there are times when I crave dirty martinis. And times when I want a glass of wine more than anything else. On my honeymoon, I drank naught but pina coladas and other girly drinks. And sometimes -- not often, but sometimes -- I like the idea of a chick with a horse.

Beer or nothing!

Okay, I'll have the occasional glass of wine, margarita with Tex-Mex and eggnog or spiced cider during the holidays. But I can count those times on one hand.

the_bird said:
Dammit, that's right, it was Banky. Sounded like something that Randall would say, as well (although his preference seemed to be for hermaphrodites).

Randall wasn't in Mallrats. He was in Clerks. Brodie was in Mallrats. Get your NJ Trilogy characters in order!

Cheesefood said:
Randall wasn't in Mallrats. He was in Clerks. Brodie was in Mallrats. Get your NJ Trilogy characters in order!

Sadly, the "dirt mall" was torn down years ago. :(

Cheesefood said:
You should have made this multiple options.

How can I make this decision?

Yeah, it is difficult to make only one choice but I wanted to get an idea of the one type of drink that people perferred next to beer. Looks like Bourbon will be the winner in the end.

Chocolate!

I drank a lot of rum & cokes in the Navy, then switched to red wines (zins, pinots and merlots) in my 30's. But, it's been beer & chocolate for the last 15 years.

Dude said:
Yeah, let me explain. When I was working in Honduras in the early 90s, we drank a lot of crown, but for some reason the ice cubes gave it a nasty taste, so someone poured in some Mt. Dew one night and we were all hooked. The Mt. Dew hid the bad ice taste. We called them "Hon-dews".

So yes, redneck highball is right but I still drink it that way. Try it, I think you'd be surprised.

Can you promise me that it's as good as that Mt. Dew beer you gave me in October?

Nothing like passing a bottle of JD around the campfire until everyone passes out or decides to go swimming in the creek!

All of the above apply except Mead - Commercial versions are hard to find in the UK. I drink a lot less spirit now than I used to. My Beer gut is increasing but at least my liver is a bit healthier.....

Bourbon has a special emotional meaning for me. It's the first liquor I ever tasted (even before beer), and JD was the only thing my Dad ever drank. So, it's something that bonds us together.

I got to attend a seminar by the master distiller of Jack Daniels, where he explained their process, their products, and history. It was two hours of concentrated win!

beer4breakfast said:
But I assume you were actually referring to the cigar. I haven't had one. The Double Maduro appeals to me the most. Have you had that one? How did you like it?

The Super Fuerte torpedo is outstanding.....helluva value!

I guess I'm just a big alky here, cause I like em' all!

I always, always go for good beer first, but if I'm in a restaurant or bar that only serves the fizzy yellow crap, then I'll most often go for single malt scotch on the rocks...But I also like wine, mead, bourbon, tequila, vodka, etc, etc, etc. I guess you could say I'm a big fan of the fermented and/or distilled beverages.:cross:

SwAMi75 said:
The Super Fuerte torpedo is outstanding.....helluva value!

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to see if my three nearest cigar stores have it. I don't recall seeing it before, but they all have extensive stock and I can't say I've looked at all of it. Seems readily available by ordering online, at least.

Shipwrecked said:
I always, always go for good beer first, but if I'm in a restaurant or bar that only serves the fizzy yellow crap, then I'll most often go for single malt scotch on the rocks...

Ha ha! I do exactly the same. First I check out the beer, and if it's just BMC, Shiner Bock, Blue Moon, and maybe Michelob (a very common spread for restaurants around here), then I'll go for the single malts. Preferably Lagavulin or The Balvenie, but most places will at least have Glenfiddich, and that will do. If they don't have single malts, it's Johnny Walker Black or Blue label (I don't care for the Gold label).

The smell of burning Varget or Accurate 2520 right now.

Best ones but it's been a few years, was a column of smoke on the horizon & 1000 gal of water behind the seat, busting stop signs at 55 mph, with the Southern VP on "yelp" and the Grover Stuttertones hollering.

I used to be able to identify every emergency vehicle in the county by the siren. Trained ear can listen to electronic ones and tell which make they are by the pitch and speed. At least I could.

There has been no chemical high I have ever experienced take the place of pure adrenaline. Never.

Cant seem to do any of the hard stuff...with one exception: maybe this is a girly drink... I dunno, the stuff I buy is 100 proof... - But my all time fav is Sambuka and water. Exactly 50-50 in a tall glass filled with ice. Tastes like Liquid Good N Plenty to me. Hmmm... I think I just talked myself into having one right now:mug:

Brewpastor said:
I am a sucker for a really nice bourbon. Pappy Van Winkle is my idea of heaven! You can have your scotch, give me my Pappy!

I have a bottle of the 20 year old on hand for special occasions. I still think that Makers is smoother.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

Of course with the price tag, it usually ends up being Black Label. Or Green Label if I've got the extra couple dollars/glass on hand.

Don't drink the Red
Drink the Black on the rocks with a tiny splash of water
Drink the Green on the rocks
Drink the Gold on a couple of rocks
Drink the Blue neat.

Haven't tried Johnnie Walker Swing yet. Would love to know what others think of it.

--arch

Another old fave of mine is Campari. Definitely a ginzo special (i'm in the club, no distespect intended :) ), and to most an aquired taste, but I can't get enough of it.

My two favorite stand-bys are Vodka and Whiskey. I love the taste of a nice whiskey drink and vodka mixers have always been a favorite of mine.

Back