What is your all time favorite summer brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
Just wondering what everybody's favorite warm weather brew? If you could only have one beer on tap through the summer months what would it be. Don't be afraid to post recipes!:mug:

I really like 3 Floyd's Gumballhead (amarillo wheat mmmmmm)

I can't get this in PA, so I'm going to try and clone it this weekend (with a little bit more hops perhaps :D). Hope it turns out to be a good summer beer!

I also really dig Oberon. I bought a case of it for my girlfriend's graduation party last year and it was a big hit, especially considering everyone was a BMC drinker.

Of my own recipes, the Bent Rod Rye. Low ABV Belgian Blondes are good, but tough to find.

I can't get this in PA, so I'm going to try and clone it this weekend (with a little bit more hops perhaps :D). Hope it turns out to be a good summer beer!

I also really dig Oberon. I bought a case of it for my girlfriend's graduation party last year and it was a big hit, especially considering everyone was a BMC drinker.

I feel your pain - I am in PA and can't get it in state with any regularity. Oddly enough I did find it before at a distributor near my old residence (which was in state - small distributor with great selection of micros).

Not sure if it was a mistake by the delivery person, if they can get it and just normally don't, or what the deal is...

I no longer live close to this distributor though so its kind of a moot point.

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde right now..
nice and crisp and refreshing when you're hot and sweaty..
Plus it's easy and cheap to make, so plenty of it for buddies :)

Then i'll get burned out on it and probably switch to a nice pilsner (ale) or something.. :cross:
Couldn't really give just one beer though, just because of that reason.

I LOVE Troegs Hopback Amber Ale in the warm weather. Had a fire and a six pack a few nights ago while listening to the Sox on the radio. Perfect. . .

My favorite style to drink during summer is probably a Biere de Garde.

My favorite beer to brew and drink in summer is probably a Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH.

My Blizzard Wheat-
5lb 2-row
5lb Red or White wheat
can add .5lbs munich or .5 honey malt to jack up the love- I usually don't
Mash 152
Amarillo added 60,10,5,0,DH to 40 IBUS

WY1010, WY1007, WY Kolsch or US 05- all good

I ferment for 2 weeks, keg 2 weeks and start guzzling it.

Another new one for me is Patersbier- really good stuff my recipe is a little different but close to NB's kit

10LBS Belgian Pils
35 IBUS Saaz @ 60, 5, 0, DH
WY3787 Trappist High Gravity
Ferement 3 weeks, keg then after 2 days fine with Gelatin- Wait another 10 days or so, and you will have an awesome crystal clear summer beer that is a hit with all tasters.

My gf would throw down a vote for Sam Adams Summer Ale.

I don't have a specific favorite, so I'll say a good Kolsch or light wheat beer would be among my choices.

My Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Commercial beers: 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat, Avery Hazed n Infused, Troegs Hop Back Amber

Kolsch's! I also love a good Grolsch or Trumer (I'll get flack for this, but I like the grassy hop aromas... provided they haven't skunked). I've been on a Red Hook Blonde Ale kick recently when my friend brought me a 12-pack from Oregon.

I'm in Northern California, though, which means that happy hour weather starts out calling for lagers at 5pm, but by 10pm it's appropriate for a porter or stout!

Can't just pick one:

Oberon
Sam Adams Summer Ale
APA
IPA
Cream Ale

Fermenting or finishing now:

10 gallons Oberon Clone
10 gaallons Lagunitas IPA clone
5 gallons Hard Cider
Cream Ale on deck to brew next.

My own B. Wit.

I suppose there are great commercial examples, but I don't buy much beer and I can't name one. Hint of orange, coriander, with a crisp slightly tart finish. Very nice in the hot weather (March to November down here).

Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan. I could drink this stuff all year round, but I love one of these on a nice warm evening while sitting on the porch.

Elm City Brewpub in Keene, NH, did a wicked good Kolsch. It is still my absolute favorite summer beer. If Oberon tastes right this year (last year it sucked), Oberon is a good substitute.

In stores: Widmer Drifter or RedHook Audacious Apricot - there is something just so summery, fruity w/o the froo-froo, balanced..
Specialty stores: Rogue Juniper- like a refreshing good gin on the rocks AND beer.
From the brewery: Coeur d'Alene Huckleberry Ale- it's frickin huckleberry...what more do you want? I would drive the 7 hrs just to pick up a case.

I've never been good at deciding and I like the fruit notes for summer...

Back