What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehk089

Reaction score
D5EA9B08-C6DE-455B-8331-059DF8933997.jpeg
79366328-EBA2-47D7-8D08-F935DCD8AA83.jpeg
So this is my first ferm in glass carboy, and after 2 weeks I still have what appears to be a hip foam...10 gal batch of zombie dust clone, 5 in plastic 5 in glass, fermented down to 1.012 (4 points better than expected) but still has this hunk on top....plastic is clear, just glad that shows what appears to be hip debris on top. It’s not as thick as picture appears, but it’s there. Any explanations on this would be appreciated, as it is the first time I’ve encountered it.

Agreed, that's exactly what everything I brew with dry hopped pellets looks like, right before I start the cold-crash.
By the time the fermentor gets down to 50°F all that mush has hit the bottom of the carboy...

Cheers!

its looks like hops, no dry hop yet, but like 5 oz in orig recipe without filter from kettle to feementer

You said the 5gal that went into the plastic bucket doesn't have anything on top, correct? Did you fill the bucket first and the carboy second? The carboy would have gotten all the kettle hops that way, probably.

Back