What is this on the leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
I've been away for a few days and I came back to these dead patches on my leaves. All but one climbing plants seem to have it. The hallertau has it worst. Do you guys have any idea what I can do? These are all first year plants, started inside and have been outside for a week and a half. I am in MA I don't know if that gives any hints.

Also the last picture is of the end of my wye viking bine. It stopped after about a foot of growth and then just shot out side arms, it looks pretty funky. No damage to growth head, it just seemed to stop. Is this normal for this variety?

View attachment 1431460907428.jpg

View attachment 1431460917880.jpg

View attachment 1431460927993.jpg

View attachment 1431460941301.jpg

Well, my plants are going on third year and all I can say is that they ALL have splotchy leaves. The perfect leaf of spring shoots are no more, as they grow the leaves get all kinds of imperfections. I am not a horticulturist in anyway, but this is the year I am going to stop worrying about it. LOL. I had planned to give them all away, but ended up with one of each so I strung em up to see.

All I can say is that when I have seen this it was due to over fertilization. Not saying that is it for sure here.

Interesting, I used a mix of potting soil, homemade compost and shellfish compost soil. Is there any way to treat it short of removing soil and replacing?

Also it might be noteworthy that a week ago something chewed the growth end off my hallertau, so idk it that had any impact there. These dead spots more or less appeared over night. They were planted 4 or so weeks ago, and havent had any problems until now.

Ah, a new hop daddy. I was there two years ago. Hops are basically weeds, if you threw those pots out into the back garden and forgot about them, in about two years the whole back yard would be taken over.

I would not suggest unpotting and resoiling (that sounds bad), that is what happens when they are outside. In MA, how often has it gotten cold at nights? Did it rain too many days in a row? Did it get too dry? Do you have any leaf hoppers that will suck juice out of leaves?

As for 'something' that cut of top of a bine, caterpillars. I hate them and have even gotten over my willies at just squishing them in my fingers when I see them. Neem oil or diatamacious earth are good food safe ways to deal with those.

Ah, a new hop daddy. I was there two years ago. Hops are basically weeds, if you threw those pots out into the back garden and forgot about them, in about two years the whole back yard would be taken over.

I would not suggest unpotting and resoiling (that sounds bad), that is what happens when they are outside. In MA, how often has it gotten cold at nights? Did it rain too many days in a row? Did it get too dry? Do you have any leaf hoppers that will suck juice out of leaves?

As for 'something' that cut of top of a bine, caterpillars. I hate them and have even gotten over my willies at just squishing them in my fingers when I see them. Neem oil or diatamacious earth are good food safe ways to deal with those.

Interesting, we did have a pretty hot frontthurs-mon, and then some rain last night. Nights have been ranging from 42-62 in the past week too. I know I had my dad water them this weekend, maybe the water and rain had something to do with it. I will check the undersides to see if I can find any vermin.

When I water them, should I try not to get the leaves wet? I don't think I am looking at mildew, but I figured thats something to be wary of.

That is sunburn on your leaves... you started them inside, then moved them outside.

I am growing many seedling, they mainly all did that too, even if I was carefull in the sun exposure. Try not to expose them to the strong afternoon sun for 1 to 2 weeks if you can. Then let them go and grow.

Don't worry, some leaves may die, but the plant should be ok. Bines will continue to grow or it will grow sidearms that will start to grow and replace the main bine. Just keep 1 sidearm if that case occur.

Happy growing season. :mug:

That is sunburn on your leaves... you started them inside, then moved them outside.

I am growing many seedling, they mainly all did that too, even if I was carefull in the sun exposure. Try not to expose them to the strong afternoon sun for 1 to 2 weeks if you can. Then let them go and grow.

Don't worry, some leaves may die, but the plant should be ok. Bines will continue to grow or it will grow sidearms that will start to grow and replace the main bine. Just keep 1 sidearm if that case occur.

Happy growing season. :mug:

Thanks man. I am less concerned with this diagnosis. I will try and position them differently, although it might be hard. I think we have a cloudy front coming in luckily. It makes sense, the whole weekend was sunny and hot and felt like august.

Thanks man. I am less concerned with this diagnosis. I will try and position them differently, although it might be hard. I think we have a cloudy front coming in luckily. It makes sense, the whole weekend was sunny and hot and felt like august.

They just need to get accustomed to the strong sun. The new leaves that will grow will be ok.

Every time I had this issue it was because I was using chem. fertilizer. I dont think that is the problem here. With your mix I would think it is hard to over fertilize.

Interesting, I used a mix of potting soil, homemade compost and shellfish compost soil. Is there any way to treat it short of removing soil and replacing?

Also it might be noteworthy that a week ago something chewed the growth end off my hallertau, so idk it that had any impact there. These dead spots more or less appeared over night. They were planted 4 or so weeks ago, and havent had any problems until now.

Back