What is this in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorygall

Reaction score
Hi
Made my second BIB and have just dry hopped it for a week. I didn't stir it and when I opened up the FB to take the hops out I found this. Never happened to me before. I put the hops in a muslin bag that had been sterilised at the same time as the barrel, so I presume that was ok. I do have a tap on the barrel so I wonder if perhaps that wasn't perfectly clean. i've seen on another old thread a dirty tap that may have caused problems.
Interestingly the beer is clear, does not smell or taste bad, but rather has very little taste. Probably not worth keeping or trying to resurrect.
Any suggestions as to what exactly this is gratefully received. Also any suggestions as to how it got in also helpful ,as it is the first time.
Should I just chuck it all out? Probably?
Thanks.
Rorygall

20150413_174056.jpg

Your options are either to dump it or let it ride and see what you get out of it. Personally, I'd let it go for a while. You're not out anything but time at this point. Worst case, it turns out horrible and you dump it anyways.

Thanks for quick replies.
I am thinking it may be best to siphon into a new bin and leave the top spiders web behind if possible, although it is a bit stirred up now as I've taken the bag out, which broke the crust. Will this infection just keep getting bigger or will it stop? Is there any real liklihood that something drinkable will be salvagable from this if left?
Thanks.

Idk...it looks different from any lacto infection I've gotten or seen. But definitely a pellicle. When did you put the hop sack in the fermenter? If you waited until the beer began clearing, the hop sack would've needed sanitizing again.

Whatever bacteria are in it, are in it- not just in the pellicle (Skin). Transferring to another container will do nothing apart from give the bacterial more oxygen. If you can keg (and it tastes good now), keg it. I would not bottle an infected beer for fear of bottle bombs.

Would there be any reason to believe adding a couple pouches of a lambic yeast/bacteria blend would help this? If chances are that this beer is going to sour, maybe embrace it and just make it a sour beer, and add those blends before whatever this is gets so bad that it overpowers everything.

No idea if that is a decent option.

If you are really uneasy about this and want to get your fermenter cleaned and refilled ASAP, I'd say dump it.

The key before adding anything else is to try it. If it tastes like it has the makings of a decent sour, go ahead and play with it.

oh just be a man and play with it.
another bucket costs how much? you might as well just officially make this your sour beer bucket. if this one ends up tasting like ****, then try a new one, but intentionally.

Back