What is this brown powder looking substance floating on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawks

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me determine if this brown powder looking substance is normal (see first 2 pictures). It started occurring within the first 1.5 days and as of now (2.5 days) it's receded but mixing in with the bubbly stuff (see last picture).

I'm using a Cooper DIY 6 gallon fermenter, Coopers English ESB beer hopped extract kit, Safale S04 yeast, fermenting between 17-18C since pitching the yeast. Everything was cleaned and sterilized but the electronic box part of my temperature gauge (not sterilized) may have hit the foam while I was checking the temperature mixing the water and wort before pitching yeast.

Any info would be much appreciated!

B.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Thanks guys, I was getting worried as a newbie! You did see the two different items side by side - brown powdery stuff on the side of the bucket adjacent to the normal looking bubbly foaming Krausen? Yes I did use 500g of medium dry malt but dissolved it in just boiled water and mixed well. There was no lumps I could see when I poured the wort into the bucket.

I was mostly worried that my thermometer plastic body touched the foam top before pitching yeastsnd I had an infection. It smells awesome but I have not tasted it yet.

Thanks again everybody!

B.

be warned: that stuff could gain sentience and eat you and your family

no, really, it looks like you got beer there

congrats :mug:

Thanks guys, I was getting worried as a newbie! You did see the two different items side by side - brown powdery stuff on the side of the bucket adjacent to the normal looking bubbly foaming Krausen? Yes I did use 500g of medium dry malt but dissolved it in just boiled water and mixed well. There was no lumps I could see when I poured the wort into the bucket.

I was mostly worried that my thermometer plastic body touched the foam top before pitching yeastsnd I had an infection. It smells awesome but I have not tasted it yet.

Thanks again everybody!

B.

I don't see anything that looks like an infection.

Latest posts

Back