What is this bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodJosh

Reaction score
What do you make of this bottle? A local surplus store has a bunch of these. They are 500ml. Do you think the big lip is for a cage? How would I find out if it would hold pressure for carbonating? I suppose I could just try it and see what happens.

bottle.jpg

Maybe the big lip was for some sort of proprietary pump cap or cap fitting? Are their any markings on the bottom of the bottle?

Those are cool! If it's as heavy as it looks, I bet it holds pressure. How big is the hole? Is it punted? Sorry for the questions, I'm a bottle nerd.

A look on the bottom will tell you who made it. Likely it has a SG on the punt if there is a punt. Then if you weigh the bottle and its more than 350g it will likely hold pressure. Bring a cage to test fit and you can prob use them. There are bottles with lips like that which are not designed for pressure though. Normally at that size they tend to have a crown cap top that also accepts a cage, except for Belgian bottles and a few other exceptions.

Back