What is the stuff that floats on top called?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazar83

Reaction score
I am certain that this question has been asked and answered before. In fact I saw it once on this website, but I can not seem to find it again...

I am currently brewing a pumpkin cider. A significant amount of the pumpkin has floated to the top. I was wondering, what are the technical terms for the stuff that floats?

My expectation is that once the activity of the yeast slows, the floating pumpkin will sink back down.

Any suggestions would also be appreciated!

The foam and yeast in an actively fermenting beer is called krausen. With the chunks of pumpkin though I would call it a "cap", similar to red wine making when the all the CO2 pushes up the crushed grapes.

Hmm, it is definitely not pellicle. It is very clearly floating pumpkin (plus some spices that I used in the recipe).

I am familiar with krausen, but I seem to remember another term related to krausen that is specifically for the floating part... Of course I could be wrong...

Thanks for all the info!

Hmm, I used canned pumpkin mash...then I cooked it with other ingredients...and put the entire thing in the fermenting vessel before adding the cider. I diligently sanitized everything at every step.

Back