what is the shortest possible time for apfelwein aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
I started a carboy of apfelwein 1/17/09 we are hosting a party 5/24 do you think the apfelwein will be anywhere near smooth enough to drink?

I am not experienced with Apfelwein, but mine is only 2.5 months old and it is already really easy to put down. I say go for it.

4 months it should be good, just don't drink it all, that way when you taste that 6, 9, or 12 month old bottle you know how long you're gonna want to wait next time. You can drink it as soon as its clear, but the longer you wait the more apple flavor will return.

Oh yeah, you will be fine. It takes a month in the fermenter and I start drinking it after a month in bottles. If your party guests don't like it, kick them out.

Oh yeah, you will be fine. It takes a month in the fermenter and I start drinking it after a month in bottles. If your party guests don't like it, kick them out.

Did you wait for it to clear before you bottled?

As soon as mine cleared (Glass carboy, it went from yeasties muddy to apple juice clear). I wish I had a clue on how long it aged, maybe 4-6 weeks - I'm not so hot on record keeping lately - I bottled it.

1 week in the bottle it was great and only lightly carbed. 3 weeks it's fully carbed but I much prefer it at week 1.

I like the taste fresh out of the carboy, to be honest. It's so cheap and easy to make, my apfelwein rarely lives more than 3 months before I turn it into urine.

I find unaged apfelwein unpalatable, or at least not worth drinking. At 4 months you will be on the border of it being presentable. I don't get near the stuff before it is 7 months old minimum (for some reason that's the number for my fermentations and aging???). Obviously the world is filled with all sorts of likes and dislikes.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but didn't see the need to start another thread....

Anyway, how do you all go about the aging of yours?

I brewed one back in January as well, and after it finished fermenting and cleared, I just racked it into a corny, purged, and have left it sit in the brew room ever since. Should I bottle it to age, or can I just leave it here and carb it when I think its ready?

I am wanting this to be ready the 2nd week of July.

I ferment age age mine at 65º until it is completely clear. This normally takes about 3 months for me. I then transfer to a corny, carbonate to 3.5 volumes, and let it sit for as long as possible. I normally start drinking it in earnest at around the 9-12 months mark.

Did you wait for it to clear before you bottled?

Of course. When I make it, it clears after a month in the fermenter.

From EdWort's recipe:

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so.

I ferment age age mine at 65º until it is completely clear. This normally takes about 3 months for me. I then transfer to a corny, carbonate to 3.5 volumes, and let it sit for as long as possible. I normally start drinking it in earnest at around the 9-12 months mark.

That is where you and I differ. I find that any esters produced by Montrachet (or even the few ale yeasts I've experimented with) are a fine addition to Apfelwein, and because of that, I ferment in the 72-75 range. Within 4 weeks, my Apfelwein is always crystal clear, and with another few weeks of conditioning, I enjoy it immensely. Granted, it probably would be much better after 6, 9, even 12 months, but I've found at those high temperatures after about 6-8 weeks, the apple flavor returns and the wine becomes quite good.

Then again, as you mentioned earlier, there is no accounting for taste. What is delicious to me might be unpalatable to you. Enjoy your Apfelwein as you will, and I will do the same. :mug:

Edited: Also, I prefer still Apfelwein to it's carbonated counterpart, but that's just another example of different strokes for different folks.

I would filter and force carb it if you are planning to drink it that young. Non-filtered I let it sit for 4-5 months minimum before drinking, it's a bit yeasty when it's young.

My last batch I experimented with fining it and degassing then moving to a secondary. It cleared up well after two months, more than usual, but next time I think I'll just filter it if I'm in a hurry (or perhaps try using an English ale yeast.... hmmm).

my apple wine smells like strong farts... my wife thinks its me, what gives?

Ahhhh... Let the farts of a thousand rhinos commence....

As far as the OP, I just kegged a batch of AW started on 11-15-08 (the day of the infamous incident (......)

It was clear as a water and tasted great... I am sure that after some time, it will be even better...

:rockin:

Ahhhh... Let the farts of a thousand rhinos commence....

As far as the OP, I just kegged a batch of AW started on 11-15-08 (the day of the infamous incident (......)

It was clear as a water and tasted great... I am sure that after some time, it will be even better...

:rockin:

Ouch, just read the link. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Hope you're all healed up by now. :mug:

Back