What is the definition of Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralex999

Reaction score
I read that a Scottish company came out and broke their last years record of ABV of 65% for a beer they call "snake venom". last year, the same company had a beer at 60% ABV or 120 proof (which is stronger than most Whiskey's off the shelf at your liquor store). Sam Adams came out with Millennium in the year 2000 with Beer that would make a train take a dirt road and I think that was over 80 proof. Utopia by the same company is certainly going over 35% alcohol by content and that has to bring up a question as to what constitutes beer? ATT (formerly ATF) only has a minimum of one half of one percent to be called beer and only seven states has a limit of how high you can go with your alcohol content and cap it at about 20 percent or 40 proof. You see where I am going with this? Just how strong is strong if you live in a State without limits? Then the tread would begin; Would you really want to or would you lose some of the wonderful aroma's and taste of hops?

I highly doubt the brewers who make this care about flavor. It's about records or headlines, at least with these beers.

I say this as I sip a delicious whisky.

Back