What is the consensus on whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have super moss and will try it in my next brew, but I have been using whirfloc for years with indifferent results. I say indifferent because I use it in every brew and wouldn't know what it was I was supposed to look for if I didn't use it.

Whirfloc don't hurt the medium protiens nesessary for beer body and according the the manufacturer 1/2 a tablet in the last 5 minutes is good. It isn't meant to be boiled very long and the manufacturer intended it for commercial use in the whirpool, thus the name.

Has anyone come across Koppakleer tablets? Essentially another carrageenan type fining. My LHBS ran out of Whirlfloc and was selling this as a substitute. Seemed to work the same.

I wish some of the Whirlfloccers would try SuperMoss. I don't care if Five Star makes money on it or not, but it is a superior product. The chemistry does not lie. Seems most are happy with the blob of goo and call it cold break. Clear beer is the goal, not making gelatin.

I don't see any gelatin here in this IPA!:
DSCF05521.JPG

I might try SuperMoss next time I buy. But saying that I am "happy with the blob of goo and call it cold break. Clear beer is the goal, not making gelatin." is rather insulting and arrogant, don't you think? I know cold break, and I know hot break. My beer is clear. It works for me. No need to be condescending to people who don't worship SuperMoss.

I might try SuperMoss next time I buy. But saying that I am "happy with the blob of goo and call it cold break. Clear beer is the goal, not making gelatin." is rather insulting and arrogant, don't you think? I know cold break, and I know hot break. My beer is clear. It works for me. No need to be condescending to people who don't worship SuperMoss.

They both make clear beer and nobody said anything about gelatin being in the finished product. . One makes additional gelatin and kettle losses and the other doesn't. If you don't like the science of it, I have no reason to apologize. All those pictures of "cold break" are gelatin, not cold break.

That's not being arrogant and that is a sad way to characterize my statement. Nearly everyone in brewing is looking for better ways to do things. Why sit on your laurels because it's what your used to? That's disingenuous.

Yoop, IIRC you also cold crash your beers, but I guess it doesn't suit your point to talk about that with your clear beer braggin and using it as some sort of bass ackwards justification for whirlfloc being better than supermoss?

I just ordered a bunch of stuff the other day and i decided to get some whirlfloc, because why not. I do 5 gal batches with a 3 gal boil. I have read that you should use 1 tab and i've read 1/2 a tab, also i have read to add it at 15 min and at 5 min. As a first time user of the product, what is the recommended time and amount to be used?

Also how long does it take to settle out? I use a bucket so I can't see inside and don;t like to open the lid any more than it needs to be.

As long as we're comparing these products...

Any thoughts on which one drops the most sediment, most quickly? I use a boil kettle with a whirlpool and a side pickup tube...I'd like to go with whichever product would drop the most sediment in the boil kettle so that I can transfer the clearest wort possible.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff the other day and i decided to get some whirlfloc, because why not. I do 5 gal batches with a 3 gal boil. I have read that you should use 1 tab and i've read 1/2 a tab, also i have read to add it at 15 min and at 5 min. As a first time user of the product, what is the recommended time and amount to be used?

Also how long does it take to settle out? I use a bucket so I can't see inside and don;t like to open the lid any more than it needs to be.

Most frequently I hear 1/2 tab per 5 gallon batch at 5 minutes.
I've got some Whirlfloc on the way and not used any yet (used Irish Moss previously). I look forward to trying it.

Yoop, IIRC you also cold crash your beers, but I guess it doesn't suit your point to talk about that with your clear beer braggin and using it as some sort of bass ackwards justification for whirlfloc being better than supermoss?

I didn't say whirlfloc was better! I said that it worked well for me and I was happy with the product. That's it.

I also said that I didn't "make gelatin" by coagulating proteins. I have many friends who are vegetarians, so I'm careful to never use finings such as gelatin. Saying that I don't know what cold break looks like, that I was confusing "gelatin blobs" with cold break is what I took issue with.

can you wash yeast if you use Whirlfloc

Of course. Remember, whirlfloc (irish moss, etc) are only helping to coagulate proteins so they drop out of suspension. They dont' stick around- they fall out as cold break and/or hot break. You will have hot break and cold break whenever you brew, even if you don't use any kettle finings. It's just that the kettle fining helps it coagulate better and faster. It will still all end up in the trub.

Washing the yeast is fine.

OP update.

So I used it on the last batch. I got very clear wort after the trub settle.

However, as mentioned on this thread there is a lot more trub soaking up wort. I had to make a decision: at what point to stop pouing into the ferementer.
I did get trub into the fermenter wanting to maximize wort.

I then poured of the trub with a lot of wort mixed in into a narrow jar. I covered the jar and let the trub settle from the wort. I then was able to salvage about 2 pints of wort and pitched it into the main fermenter.
I am certain I got open air into it during the settling period ( about hour), but I am taking the guess that risk of infection is minimal -- since I required aeration anyways, and that a fast and furious fermentation would allow the yeast to beat out other bugs. I might just mean that I have to drink the beer a little faster.

I've used whirlfloc in just about all of my brews and love it. Great cold break, clarity, and no noticable detriments to the beer.

I run through a plate chiller with minimal cooling in the kettle and get massive break formation in the fermenter, but loose no additional beer out of the primary since it compacts down pretty good and is under the yeast cake.

041010BelgianTrippel.jpg

The break stays together too in the fermenter as you can see by the chunks swirling around here.

Click these guys for the videos

I also use whirlfloc or koppakleer(almost the same in my experience)and personally I enjoy watching my yeasties toss around the break. Loss of quantity dose not = loss of quality. I will try super moss in my next batch though because I do want to try it,but there is no problem with the clarity of my beer to date.

Back