What is the best kviek yeast? Is there like a safale 5 type that works for most anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srdjan Ostric

Reaction score
I am confused which one to experiment with. I would like to start with a "basic" one before I get more detailed and more exotic. Just to learn and get a feel. What do you all recommend?

I use Omega's Hornindal,Voss and Lutra. There all good! Voss gives an orange citrus at 90* or so and it's muted and very good on a stout or porter at 76-80*. Lutra is clean ,maybe a little fruity,would make a good Kolschish style. No matter what you do with Lutra the beer will always be (to me) an ale,it's not even close to a lager but it's clean and way faster and clearer then US05. You have to add way more hops and bump the grain bill with Munich and biscuit malts because it really wipes out the flavors. Still working with Hornindal and don't have any empirical stuff for you.

So if you did a smash beer with the Voss and wanted to get a real citrus edge, what would your grain bill and your hops be? This is for a 5 gallon batch.

And if you did a smash with the lutra what do you think the main difference would be between the two smash beers?.

Sounds like you want to do a split batch between the 2 yeasts. If using only one malt is your goal I'd go with a Vienna or Maris Otter. To enhance the Voss I'd lean into Cascade, Centennial,or Amarillo and see where Lutra takes you. It would tell you how much Lutra mutes flavors, not just the hops but malt as well.

So if you did a smash beer with the Voss and wanted to get a real citrus edge, what would your grain bill and your hops be? This is for a 5 gallon batch.

And if you did a smash with the lutra what do you think the main difference would be between the two smash beers?.
Actually I brewed this earlier in the year and fermented at 100F. It was very tasty!

Title: Voss Pale Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.77%
IBU (tinseth): 36.23
SRM (morey): 6.76
Mash pH: 5.85

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (95.7%)
0.5 lb - Caramel Malt - 60L (4.3%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Columbus, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 22.18
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 5.24
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.69
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.25
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.12
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.75
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.31 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4.77 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

I did something kind of similar last year. DME and C60. Cascade and ahtanum hops with Lutra yeast. Probably my best extract batch (I mostly do all grain). I did bottle this one. The biggest difference I noticed over US-05 was if you got a little yeast in the glass from a sloppy pour, it didn't have a negative effect on flavor. It also carbonated faster than other yeasts (1 week vs at least 2 for any other yeast I've used).

Lutra is supposed to be the cleanest but I found it not so clean as 05.

But I guess we all have to try the Kveik :)

I'd go with Mosaic or Simcoe because they're not predominantly citrus, so you'd get a more complex beer.

So something like...

OG: 1.055 - 1.060
100% Maris Otter
Simcoe to 30 IBU @ 60 mins
Simcoe to 15 IBU @ 20 mins
Simcoe to 10 IBU @ 5 mins
1g/L Simcoe @ 65C Whirlpool
2g/L Simcoe @ dry-hop during fermentation.
Ferment at 30°C.

I'd expect more of a juicy, hazy, yet bitter IPA with orange notes coming from the Voss, whereas the Lutra would be more West Coast-ish with some dank ripe fruit vibe, particularly if you're doing Simcoe.

I haven't done this, so just going off my experience with these two.

Last edited:
. Lutra is clean ,maybe a little fruity,would make a good Kolschish style. No matter what you do with Lutra the beer will always be (to me) an ale,it's not even close to a lager but it's clean and way faster and clearer then US05.
I agree. I recently tapped a Lutra cream ale, and when I tasted it, kolsch was the first thing that came to mind. Pretty clean with just a touch of fruitiness. Very refreshing!

100% agree with the above, Lutra is the cleanest of the Kveiks I've used and probably most similar to US-05.

Back