What is the best book for brewing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider-11

Reaction score
Hello every one

I would like to buy some books on brewing so insted of wasting money on books that just go over the basics, I'm looking for more indepth detail, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Raider-11 said:
Hello every one

I would like to buy some books on brewing so in sted of wasting money on books that just go over the basics, I looking for more indepth detail so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Two I would recommend-
"how to brew" by John Palmer
"designing great beers" -??? (more technical)

aggiejay06 said:
http://www.howtobrew.com/

That's a phenomenal book that's available for free online.

I highly suggest The Complete Joy of Homebrewing as well.

The online version is not the latest. Palmer said himself he no longer uses methods he used in the original book. Still a great book, but a little out of date, like "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian.

My favorite homebrew book is "The Brewmaster's Bible." I find it much more useful than "Joy" or "How." Those are both great resources written by masters. BUT, I find TBB easier to read, deeper in scope, and more helpful in the theory of brewing.

It is less explicit in beginner's step by step (it still covers that, just not quite as detailed) than the other two. I learned by it, though, so it's very follow-able. Even after reading many other brewing books, it's still the only one I have on my bookshelf.

beninan said:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com

Greatest book I've found. Great information from great people, and up-to-date too.

IMO, a book is better than this site because one can learn why some people might prefer one method to another and other biases. Nothing against anyone on here, but the ideas can be quite overwhelming to the new brewer without any background (that you could get from a book). What is posted on this site is not as much the "why" but rather the "what" to do. Knowing what to do wont help you learn if there is no context and thats what the book will/can give you. If nothing else, a book is a place to go quickly when you have a question about what you've read on HBT. With that said, I'd recommend reading at least one book, cover to cover, and using this site to answer additional questions, or questions about the book itself. HBT is a WONDERFUL resource.

BTW, I first read How to Brew, than Brewmaster's Bible, and am working on Radical Brewing. All good books for different purposes, but all will provide answers to questions you don't know to ask initially. Just pick up a book and read a few pages, you'll know if you could read the whole thing. Enjoy!

IMO, a book is better than this site because one can learn why some people might prefer one method to another and other biases. Nothing against anyone on here, but the ideas can be quite overwhelming to the new brewer without any background (that you could get from a book). What is posted on this site is not as much the "why" but rather the "what" to do. Knowing what to do wont help you learn if there is no context and thats what the book will/can give you. If nothing else, a book is a place to go quickly when you have a question about what you've read on HBT. With that said, I'd recommend reading at least one book, cover to cover, and using this site to answer additional questions, or questions about the book itself. HBT is a WONDERFUL resource.

BTW, I first read How to Brew, than Brewmaster's Bible, and am working on Radical Brewing. All good books for different purposes, but all will provide answers to questions you don't know to ask initially. Just pick up a book and read a few pages, you'll know if you could read the whole thing. Enjoy!

But couldn't you say that books are only the opinions of the author? So you are only getting one person's side of the story? It's like going to court, and only hearing what the plaintiff has to say, and determining the verdict without hearing the defendants side.

I know what you mean about the overwhelming information, and this may be a crude example, but at least both sides of the story is offered, so the researcher can then choose which path to pursue, rather than being told "this is the only way".

Sorry for the double post (just re-read the OP)

I think Radical Brewing is good, but in no way technical, Brewmasters Bible is wonderful for learning about styles and components, but not so much on process, and How to Brew is pretty technical with each step of the process and talks a bit about the components as well. So, +1 for How to Brew if your looking for a single book.

I agree that the information is one-sided in a book, however with that in mind as you read the text you can usually make out a reasoning for the author's opinion (a good author at least). Honestly I feel it depends on the OP's knowledge base and how comfortable he is with the information presented on the forum. I know without reading, I would not have been comfortable enough getting on here for answers.

(To possibly show my own bias, I am a faculty at the local university and my world is centered around learning from textbooks and a single person's opinion, than deciphering which opinions are facts.)

"designing great beers" -??? (more technical)
This one is by Ray Daniels. If you want to learn how to put together a recipe, I'd start here. It assumes you know some of the basics about brewing, fermenting, etc. so it won't help you start to brew, but once you've got the basics down its fairly easy to pick up. The first half of the book goes through all the different components of beer (malts, mashes, hops, yeast, etc.) and the second gives you an in depth chapter on how to put together recipes for the different BJCP styles.

"Brewing Classic Styles" is a great recipe guide. <--- EDIT: See link in sig.

I'll cosign on "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and "How to Brew"

Back