What is Super Light LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I decided to buy some super light LME at my local brew supply. I tried using some wheat LME for an IPA im brewing but it didnt work out to well.. So, i decided to give super light a shot hoping it would be more neutral. However, I cant find anything on the internet about it. Maybe you guys do... So my question is, a)What is it? b) Would it be good to use for a hoppy beer or should I use a pale malt instead? Thank you!

For my preference in an IPA, I'd rather use Briess Golden Light Extract (made of 2-row pale malt, carapils, and possibly some light crystal and sugar) than Briess Extra Light Extract (made of Pilsener malt and Carapils). I rarely desire a Pils base for an American IPA.

However, Extra Light Extract is the way to go for an IPA if you are confident they use 2-row pale as a base. Muntons does. Briess does not. The difference with Muntons is that the base is British 2-row pale, which has a maltier flavor than the American 2-row pale malt base used in the Briess Golden Light product.

Super Light LME does certainly sound like a very basic, no frills Pilsen LME.

Latest posts

Back