What is still cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJxc

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what still cider is,what the characteristics are, and how generally popular this style is? I have been trying to get a clear answer

still cider = a cider that is not carbonated, not fizzy, not bubbly.
It has no CO2 in it.
Like water that is `still` it doesn't move because of bubbles.
Capiche?

Still cider is like a non sparkling wine.
This is the way I like mine. This is how it has been made in my family for a long time. I just started making it myself and all the wine lovers in my family are buggin me about getting some.

As far as how popular goes, it depends on who you ask. The general population associates cider with the big commercial brewers like Angry Orchard and Strongbow, which are (mostly) highly carbonated. That's what most people expect. But for those of us who make it, lots of folks like them still.

For me and my family, I like cider cold and fizzy. YMMV

Still cider is non-carbonated.
It is usually dry as well; not usually back sweetened.
High ABV versions have the characteristics of a white wine.

I cannot think of a commercial example of one, it certainly is not popular around here.
We have local dry ciders here but they are still carbonated. The cider that I make is highly carbonated and back sweetened to get that woodchuck taste that my wife likes.

is it alright for still cider to be a cloudy, dark amber color? Also, is it okay to bottle still cider in normal beer bottles?

It certainly isn't normal for it to be cloudy or dark amber.
An apple ale may be darker (like RED's), but this isn't a still cider or a pure cider.
Cloudiness is generally the result of proteins or unsettled solids.
Apples have very little protein compared to Wheat used in cloudy Hefes.

If you are after style guidelines you can check here:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Cider.pdf

that being said, is there some way to speed up the clearing and secondary?

that being said, is there some way to speed up the clearing and secondary?

I use "super-kleer K.C."{kieselsol-chitosan} in 2ndary to clear cider and the stuff is amazing.

KC SUPER KLEER.jpg

is it alright for still cider to be a cloudy, dark amber color? Also, is it okay to bottle still cider in normal beer bottles?
If the appearance doesn't bother you then its alright. If you let the cider sit in a cool place for 4-6 months it will clear on its own unless you cooked apples or the juice. There are many different kinds of additives available or you could get a wine filter. I have plenty of cider from last year and don't have much extra time, so I just let the cider clear by itself.
Regular beer bottles are fine as long as you are going for similar carbonation levels that beer has.
Some commercial cider is carbonated higher and they use champagne style bottles.

Think of it as like wine, no carbonation. Most still ciders I've had in winery territory (around the Finger Lakes). More common is petillant, tiny lazy bubbles light effervescence. You see this with more single varietals. I've had a good Northern Spy and Baldwin like that. Most ciders in stores are very carbonated and found in the beer sections. Stills I've only seen bottled in champagne or wine bottles with caps.

Hmm... $3-4 a pop for Super-Kleer, or I can buy a pack of Knox unflavored gelatin for $7 that will last me like 15 years! :)

Got a link?
Sounds like it's worth it.
However, I usually just let cider clear on its own. (free, lasts forever)
Guess it depends on how big of a hurry someone is.
I know I was a lot less patient my first year of brewing.

Latest posts

Back