What is really practical for my kettle size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorPepe

Reaction score
Hi guys
I've been brewing extract for a few months now and plan to move into BIAB. That means I'll need a bigger kettle. At the moment I'm doing 2.5-3 gallon batches, but I would like to start doing some of my better recipes in 5 gallons, especially if I'm going to be taking the time to do AG. I'm willing to spend a little money on a BK and go as big as possible. The question is: what's practical given that I won't be brewing outside any time in the next year and maybe not for a while after that? My apartment has a relatively new, full sized electric range. What is realistically going to fit normally on the burner and how much am I realistically going to be able to boil (I know it probably depends on a lot of factors but I'm just looking ballpark.) Should I just get, say, a 20 qt pot for 3 gallon BIABs (which will probably be fine for me for a year+) and then just upgrade when I get an propane setup? Or does it make sense to spring for the 40 and use it on my stove top now and on a future propane setup later? I just really have no sense of how big a 40 qt pot is, how indoor burners perform, etc. and could use some general expertise. TIA.:mug:

Hmm...that's an interesting point. I have been looking for tall thin pots so that they would stay mainly on top of one element but that might be backasswards....

Back