what is going on with this beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
Ok I don't usually jump on the something is wrong train after just a few days. But this has made me very curious. This is my first shot at a batch of cider for SWMBO. Its 3 gallons of store bought organic cider. Pasturized but no additives. 1 pound of brown sugar. Yeast is wlp007 English dry ale yeast.

Now what has me curious is the air lock has not budged (I know, I know) there is a funny looking 3.5" high krausen (again, I know). It has been like this for three days and the gravity has not dropped by a point. That is what has me so curious. I have never seen something like that. I was hoping someone would have some input as to why the gravity hasn't budged. Also I thought it was odd there was a shallow hole in the middle of the krausen.

Edit: Just realized I titled it beer. Old habits I guess.

20140129_150437.jpg

20140129_150446.jpg

I'm still betting it's normal fermentation with your WLP007 yeast. The batches that i've used it on have always produced a monster krausen. It's a very gassy yeast. It's probably still in it's lag phase, rapidly reproducing but not really consuming much of the sugars yet, just what it needs to reproduce itself. As to the lack of falling gravity, give it time. I bet if you wait it out until after the krausen has fallen, you'll begin to see the usual downward shift.

Back