What is going on with my red ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibuboats91

Reaction score
I brewed up midwest supplies irish red ale on friday night. All day Saturday and Sunday the airlock was bubbling nonstop. I checked it Monday morning and the bubbling stopped, but I also noticed that the temperature was at 60 degrees. It was running at around 64 degrees. I brought it up to the main level of my house and it's been back up to 64 since yesterday afternoon. I'm not getting any bubbling. What should I do? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks in advance!

More often as not,when bubbling slows or stops,initial fermentation is done. It'll now slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. No worries,m8.:mug:

Bubbles from the airlock are not always indicative of fermentation. The vigorous fermentation could be over with after a few days, although it probably still has some time left to finish fermenting. I would give it another 7 to 10 days and check the gravity readings until its down to fg and then bottle or keg as you see fit! :mug:

my irish red from NB was done with agressive fermentation in about 2 days as well. I let it sit 3 weeks before i kegged it

Edited to clarify my intended idea:

+1 for bubbles mean nothing. You get lots early on when things are vigorous, but full fermentation can take days (or up to weeks) to finish - bubbles or no.

+1 for bubbles mean nothing. You get lots early on when things are vigorous, but full fermentation can take days (rarely, weeks) to finish - bubbles or no.

Not true most of the time. I've never had a fermentation go from pitch to bottling bucket in a few days. Ever. My quickest was 12 days. Most of the time 3 weeks or so from pitch to settled out clear or slightly misty. Only initial fermentation finishes in a few days. It usually takes longer to knock off that last few points since it slows down after initial,vigorous fermentation is done.

Not true most of the time. I've never had a fermentation go from pitch to bottling bucket in a few days. Ever. My quickest was 12 days. Most of the time 3 weeks or so from pitch to settled out clear or slightly misty. Only initial fermentation finishes in a few days. It usually takes longer to knock off that last few points since it slows down after initial,vigorous fermentation is done.

I think that you and I agree, but that you misread my post (or that I failed to communicate). I wouldn't dream of taking a gravity reading at less than two weeks, and have honestly moved into the 3 week camp... but I don't feel a pressing need to even check then.

I do know that a lot of people hit their FG in day measurements (7 days, 10 days, etc).

My point was not at all that the beer was done - my point was that the beer was likely still fermenting, albeit slowly and without bubbles, and that the OP need not worry - just give the beer some time.

Thanks for all the replies! I was quite worried about it. The directions say to let it ferment for 2 weeks then bottle it. Should I do that or let it sit for the 3 weeks? How would I know what the end gravity reading should be? I didn't take an initial one so I hope that's okay.

I brewed up midwest supplies irish red ale on friday night. All day Saturday and Sunday the airlock was bubbling nonstop. I checked it Monday morning and the bubbling stopped, but I also noticed that the temperature was at 60 degrees. It was running at around 64 degrees. I brought it up to the main level of my house and it's been back up to 64 since yesterday afternoon. I'm not getting any bubbling. What should I do? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks in advance!

Sounds exactly like me. I ordered the Midwest kit and brewed up my irish red on friday. It started bubbling thru the airlock on saturday, and by sunday the bubbles were gone.

My temps have been between 62 and 70 depending on ambient temps around the house.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies! I was quite worried about it. The directions say to let it ferment for 2 weeks then bottle it. Should I do that or let it sit for the 3 weeks? How would I know what the end gravity reading should be? I didn't take an initial one so I hope that's okay.

I like to let it sit for atleast 3 weeks just to make sure everything finishes up. You wont really know what the fg will be, as long as it stays the same over a couple readings. I usually check the fg and 2 days later check again, if the same I keg it

If this was a kit, the directions likely mentioned a target final gravity. If not, do what the PP suggested - let it sit three weeks. Take a gravity reading, wait two days, take another. They will probably match, verifing that fermentation is done. If they don't match, give it a little more time.

Incidentally, I recently wrote a little article that addresses a lot of the common homebrewer questions... you might find it useful.

If this was a kit, the directions likely mentioned a target final gravity. If not, do what the PP suggested - let it sit three weeks. Take a gravity reading, wait two days, take another. They will probably match, verifing that fermentation is done. If they don't match, give it a little more time.

Incidentally, I recently wrote a little article that addresses a lot of the common homebrewer questions... you might find it useful.

Great write up! That certainly answered a few of my questions.

Back