What is a good recipe to split?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
There's a homebrew competition in my area coming up and I'd like to enter a couple of things. I was thinking of doing a 5 gallon batch but splitting the wort and using two different yeast strains to make separate beers. So my question is what would be a good recipe to use that would enable me to make two distinctly different beers with the same wort?

My immediate thought is to make one a saison and one a pale ale, but I'd like to get some other ideas, thanks!

Blonde/ Kolsch/ cream ale and a saison; Amber and a saison; Wheat and a saison; wheat and a pale ale (dry hops); Helles/ Vienna and a saison...I really like the saison idea [emoji16]

I often do this with American and Belgian yeasts. Just recently with an IPA, both sides are very good. Many styles overlap in basic stats: gravity, IBU, SRM.
Other options abound. The same grist and the same yeast will make a Belgian Pale and a Dubbel, just add the candi syrup to the dubbel in the fermenter. A separate boil or steep of dark grains can make a light style into a dark one.
Good luck, have fun, let us know how it goes.

After doing some more research I think I will do some type of split using an american ale yeast and some type of Belgian. I've never done a Biere de Garde so that's at the top of the list for now.

Wit/Saison for sure. I recently cultured up some dregs from a bottle of allagash white and it turned out super yummy. For the other half, toss in some 3711 or some Dupont strain.

Back