What ingredients to use for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobM

Reaction score
Hey all, I am brand new to home brewing, I am currently making a coopers original lager that came with the starter kit and I was thinking for my next beer I would like a wheat beer ( Coopers wheat beer), their website says use 500g dry malt extract and 300g of dextrose, is this enough to give a strong enough ABV or will it be very light?, what other ingredients can be used give a good taste and high ABV? thanks.

Although I've never brewed this one specifically, I ran the numbers and it looks like it should come in at around 4.1% which is on par for the style. Note that you're going to be using 1700g of the wheat extract +500g of the light LIQUID extract (afaik, Coopers doesn't make dry extract) + 300g dextrose.

My first brew was a Coopers light lager, then my second brew was a wheat beer, but I didn't use the Coopers kit. I went with a kit from More Beer which was basically an unhopped liquid malt extract + steeping grains + hops. Came out much better than a Coopers kit.

Hey thanks for the reply, I went for the coopers kit and the dry malt extract I stated earlier was by Muntons, it is a Spray malt light (I hope it is good), and I will stick with the 300g of dextrose from the website, You said you used a liquid malt, I have read before that using a dry malt you do not need to use as much as a liquid malt is this true? and will it provide my brew with a higher ABV than 4.1%?

Well, if you use 500g of dried extract, it'll increase the abv a little bit but you won't be able to tell the difference. If you're interested a higher abv, you might as well look into a regular recipe kit vs. a hopped kit like Coopers.

I made up my own:

6 lbs. of Wheat LME (60 minute boil) If you want a lighter color... add half of the DME @ 60, and the other half @ 20.
1 lb. of Flaked Wheat (steeped 30 min.)
.5 lb. of Carapils (steeped 30 min.)

.5 oz. Amarillo hops @ 60
.5 oz. Amarillo hops @ 15

Either: Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat) or White Labs WLP 320 (American Hefeweizen Ale)

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
IBU: 18
ABV: 4.7%

I used the Wyeast 1010 last time I brewed this. I still have a little of it on tap... :)

Gary

It is much cheaper to buy the ingredients yourself and put it together. I've found, from the few I compared, that MoreBeer had the best prices and free shipping on large orders. You can view their kits and buy the ingredients.

thanks for the tips guys, the thoughts of partial or all grain seem a bit daunting at this stage as I have yet to even finish my first brew but I would like to move onto them in time, I have also yet to even taste any home brew or microbrewery beers as all I have been drinking is commercial beers such as Bud or Coors :p

Back