What information is stamped on a CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I dropped my tank off today and the old guy looked at the stampings like he was reading an owners manual. He showed me where it said how long since it had been tested, but it looked like there was more info on it.

Anyone know what all info is stamped in there?

all co2 cylinders will have an identification stamp on them. mine says "DOT-3AL1800." the 1800 is the maximum working pressure. all aluminum cylinders have to have hydrostatic testing done to them every 5 years and there should be a stamp on there that will tell you the month and the year of the last test. my cylinder is stamped with "CLIFFDIV 12@05" and there should be a stamp on there that tells you the size of your cylinder. mine is a a five pound cylinder and is stamped with "5#"

Stamped on the neck is:

- Manufacturer name (Luxfier)
- Tank serial number (some number)
- Tank size/manufacturer type code (5#)
- DOT/CT certification (DOT-3AL)
- Hydro date(s) (12@05)
- Service pressure (1800)
- Hydro test pressure (3000)

some also put the Tare weight (weight without gas) some in pounds, some in kilograms. it will be listed as "TWXX.X". some manufacturers don't put a tare weight though.

Back