What if I don't have an extra fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
This may seem like a weird question. If you're serving soda out of a corny keg, you can simply put ice in your glass. I personally would puke if I had to drink beer on ice, so I'm wondering, if I were to keg my beer in cornies, but don't have an extra fridge, could I put the corny in a bucke of ice water to child it before drinking it?

Before I got a freezer and converted to a kegerator, I just had my keg & CO2 bottle sitting in the corner of the kitchen. When I wanted a cold beer, I took a frozen mug out of the freezer, poured a beer, and waited a couple of minutes to let it chill. We have the mugs that have liquid in between the walls and you put them in the freezer. The beer would be very cold within about 5 minutes, if you have the patience.

jrp3 said:
Before I got a freezer and converted to a kegerator, I just had my keg & CO2 bottle sitting in the corner of the kitchen. When I wanted a cold beer, I took a frozen mug out of the freezer, poured a beer, and waited a couple of minutes to let it chill. We have the mugs that have liquid in between the walls and you put them in the freezer. The beer would be very cold within about 5 minutes, if you have the patience.

That is an excellent idea. If this forum had a rep system I'd have to give you points for that.

Jason

i use ice water in a bucket method. But i'm working on fixing my fridge so i'm hoping for cold beer from the kegorator.

But the frozen mug idea is brilliant!

jrp3 said:

Unless you have my friends who insist on not using a glass and planting there mouth directly under the tap and pulling the handle, al la Barney Gumbell on the Simpsons.

The excuse is that they don't want to dirty a glass.

IGOR

mmditter said:
, if I were to keg my beer in cornies, but don't have an extra fridge, could I put the corny in a bucke of ice water to child it before drinking it?

This will work, but you have to keep in mind, that it takes quite some time for the keg to chill in an ice bath. Another idea, would be building a beer chiller, where you have a copper coil that runs through a small cooler filled with ice water. Then you just dispense your beer through this copper coil and it gets chilled as it flows through.

Kai

Stainless steel coils is a better choice, though.

They are commonly called a 'jockey box'. With 50-100 feet of iced coils you can pour a couple pitchers in a row and they'll be cold.

I've used them at parties and been able to chill 15 gallons of beer served over 2 days using 20 pounds of ice.

The up side is most of the parts you'd use to build a jockey box can be used for your fridge conversion later. Everything but the cooler and the coils are nessicary. Then, if you choose, you can turn the coils into an immersion cooler for your wort.

Back