What if I add more water to Brewers Best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karalaok

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been brewing brewer's best kit and always follow the instruction with 2.5 gallons of water. I now have a bigger pot and instead of staring with 2.5 gallons of water I want to try 6 gallons and end with 5 gallons of wort. Will that work or it'll turn my beer into something bad?

Thanks
Alan

Just make sure whatever kind of burner you're using can bring 6 gals to a boil. If so, you're in great shape!

And hop utilization may increase. There is debate about this but just keep it in mind.

And hop utilization may increase.

................... And the problem is ????????????

Hop utilization will increase by about 10%, which is probably undetectable. Actual utilization varies considerably due to many factors such as how vigorous the boil is, hop age, hop storage, pellets or leaf, pot dimensions, etc. Even the methods of calculating them vary considerably.

I'd figure any 2 people making the same recipe could have up to 50% variation in IBUs. 10% is no big deal and is in the good direction.

Back