What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing much today, I'll likely be taking a break from brewing for a few weeks until I can kick the two (3/4 full) kegs I have on the go right now. Both of the beers I have in stages of fermenting and conditioning are slower burners. However, I still did a few bits:
  • Purged a bit of CO2 out of my Belgian Dubbel which is in the FermZilla to see if the sulphur has started to subside yet...which it has. I may have slightly overdone the chocolate malt so I think it'll be at the darker end of the spectrum but it does have a lovely red tinge even in bulk. I'll give it another week before I draw a sample off.

• Did similar with my Brett Belgian pale. This has been secondary fermenting with some extra Candi sugar in the keg for about 6 weeks now, and has gone from smelling frankly pretty disgusting to an incredible bouquet of tropical fruit with just a hint of funkiness.

• Ordered a few bits I need for my doppelbock, notably Carafa Special I and more Melanoidin.

• Wrote up "Tyrannosaurus Flex", a recipe for an 11.8% triple hazy IPA with Mosaic, Sabro and Strata hot side, and Citra, Mosaic and Strata cold side. Taking into account use of Spectrum CO2 extract, it's nearly 25g/l dry hop at the moment...

Brewed a Vienna lager yesterday.
My fridge is full but I was anxious to brew this so I am fermenting in an Igloo cooler full of water. I've been pleasantly surprised how easy it's been to keep the temp steady in the mid-50's. I used w-34/70 instead of my normal fav WLP830 as a hedge against warmer temps, but it turns out I haven't crept above 56.
Low tech, I know ... but it does the job.

Attachments

• Cooler.jpg
    Cooler.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
After moving from the US PNW to the desert SW, I was able to brew my first two brews this month. It’s been 15 months, so after much preparation I decided on a simple pale ale to dial the system in. First batch I missed a few minor steps and ended up 2 points low on OG. I had done a very mild boil so updated the boil off rate and brewed it again. Same result. I kept track of the boil off and my original rate of 1 gal/hr was correct. Thinking of efficiency I was recalling on the second beer, after admiring the full husks on the misted milled grains, the crush was inconsistent. Today I checked my mill and one end was .035 and the other end was wide open. Must have opened up during the move. Can’t wait to make the next batch. In the meantime we will have 10 gal of awesome 5.2% pale to work on.
1664241232952.jpeg

1664241272275.jpeg

Brewed a Vienna lager yesterday.
My fridge is full but I was anxious to brew this so I am fermenting in an Igloo cooler full of water. I've been pleasantly surprised how easy it's been to keep the temp steady in the mid-50's. I used w-34/70 instead of my normal fav WLP830 as a hedge against warmer temps, but it turns out I haven't crept above 56.
Low tech, I know ... but it does the job.
What size fermonster is that?

One of the many things I love about my job, I'm allowed to work from home when necessary. Sitting here waiting for the plumber to arrive because of a busted pipe under the bathroom sink that I cannot remove from the fitting it's stuck into. Almost never fails, when something goes wrong around here I don't have the right tool (or in this case, the brute strength) to fix it. Fortunately we have an awesome plumber that gets the job done, whom my dogs adore, and he also loves my beer. Told me last time he was here that I'm listed in their system as "that lady that makes beer". I've got a great blonde on tap that he'll enjoy. After that will get some much needed laundry done (and a shower, water has been off since yesterday), then might finally make the seltzer I intended to make a few days ago before sh*t went sideways.

Finally got around to brewing this British Golden Honey ale and it's about Da***d time !! Totally unprepared unscheduled but I got a wild one up me nether parts today and dang it all I'm just doing it. Shoulda had this done weeks ago for football. I'm sure I'm totally going to screw this up..already darned near forgot the rice hulls !!!! But let's see what happens. I'm brewing !!!! 1st time heating strike water with my Max Burton induction cook top. Will see how it goes. Heated up the strike water pretty fast..still, not as fast as stove top.

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_123527191.jpg
    IMG_20220929_123527191.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220929_123445043.jpg
    IMG_20220929_123445043.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220929_123420274.jpg
    IMG_20220929_123420274.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Finally got around to brewing this British Golden Honey ale and it's about Da***d time !! Totally unprepared unscheduled but I got a wild one up me nether parts today and dang it all I'm just doing it. Shoulda had this done weeks ago for football. I'm sure I'm totally going to screw this up..already darned near forgot the rice hulls !!!! But let's see what happens. I'm brewing !!!! 1st time heating strike water with my Max Burton induction cook top. Will see how it goes. Heated up the strike water pretty fast..still, not as fast as stove top.
Yeah Baby it's on ! Just allow yourself an extra 45-60 min to reach boil temp if you have a lowly 1800 watt induction like me but it works !

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_152815730.jpg
    IMG_20220929_152815730.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220929_143615259.jpg
    IMG_20220929_143615259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I discovered today with the Max Burton if you leave the top off the pot it takes much longer to reach boil. Took the top off and had the hop spider hooked on and left the pot spoon in and the temp dropped about 10° from 212 to 202. After 60 min 1st hop, put the lid on and within 10 min it was vigorous boil back to 212. Plus taking into consideration the 7.5 gal pot is a tad larger than what was intended for the 1800 watt burner. But all in all it performed adequately. I'm waiting on maintenance to fix my stove so I really didn't have much choice. I originally bought the induction burner to heat strike water. It did ok though, I'm not complaining. I may get a 5000 watt in the near future. I do have a gas burner I bought 3 years ago but I'm loath to use it outside here in S.E Michigan. Terrible air quality. Bugs, dirt, dust, pollen galore, enough to make a Beer God cringe. I'd have nightmares of all kinds of unwanted airborne critters growing slime in my wort 😵‍💫

Transferred a hazy I brewed for the alpha king competition for my Homebrew club. 66% 2 row and 34% flaked oats. 6oz CTZ/citra whirlpool split evenly. 8oz citra/CTZ dry hop split evenly. I used laerdal kveik which implemented a pineapple flavor/aroma.
PXL_20220929_233101826.jpg
PXL_20220930_010359775.jpg

Worked from home again today, between telling drivers where to go tapped my latest WF lager and wrote a recipe for tomorrow. Now that drivers are all done sipping on more of that tasty lager, prepping some good dinner (pork chops and rice, yum), and planning to make some spearmint candy later. Or might just crash. Just a happy Friday.

Sniffed the airlock on the British Honey Brown ale. Bubbling happily away! Smells wonderful ! In 2 weeks I'll add a pound of Orange blossom honey. A bit worried about the temp. I usually stick all my ales in my freezing basement storage room. I prefer to ferment ales on the cool side. Temp was down in the low 40's Thur and Friday so I figured it would be ok in the garage. Today was running around a lot and the temp got up into the high 60s so I know the garage is on average 10° warmer plus internal activity. Ales just taste better to me fermented cooler. I'm gonna move it down to the basement and hope for the best.

Brewed a Vienna-Sterling SMaSH in my Zilla. Effed up by starting at 8pm… Lesson learned!

Tried too many new things for one batch- another lesson learned!

First time doing a mash out by raising the temperature to 170 before sparging. First time doing a hopstand as well- the temperature got away from me and dropped to 156*F. Had to raise it to 170 and hope for the best.

Managed to get the wort in my new Fermzilla by 12pm. BUT I nearly forgot to pitch the yeast. I realized as I was headed to bed and notice the yeast pack was taunting me from the countertop.

On top of everything i only got 4.75Gal into the fermenter because I skimped the sparge… again, LESSON LEARNED.

Overall good late night brew sesh, idk how SWMBO puts up with this hobby but we both can’t wait to try this batch!

1F9B96A9-10D8-4561-9E72-50F92573667D.jpeg

Yesterday I wanted to transfer some beers around, but realized that it has been so long since I got to work in the brewery that I gave my transfer equipment a super-deep cleaning instead. Soaking hoses, fermenters, and hope to get to the kegs and whatnot on Wednesday when I have a night off. It's a step in the direction of a brewday, at least.

https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-resist-anti-imperial-stout/Mine is a little lower OG so I’m calling it a porter and my beet addition is lower. Brewing it for Bluepoint’s Cask Fest HBCs are invited. I’ll name it “Russia is not Borg”, because the Ukrainian resistance is kicking ass, and will not be assimilated.
😂😂😂. Cool. All well and good except Russians are not makers of Imperial stout. Just drinkers. Historically it's a British creation. We have the Princess of Prussia later to become Empress of Russia , Catherine the Great , to thank for having a fondness of extra strong British stouts in her royal court thus taking on the name Russian Imperial...But I hear you ! ...don't know about the beets though...😯

😂😂😂. Cool. All well and good except Russians are not makers of Imperial stout. Just drinkers. Historically it's a British creation. We have the Princess of Prussia later to become Empress of Russia , Catherine the Great , to thank for having a fondness of extra strong British stouts in her royal court thus taking on the name Russian Imperial...But I hear you ! ...don't know about the beets though...😯
Your history is correct of course, the beets “make” the beer Ukrainian. They also shared a beer recipe named Putin Huilo (Putin Di*khead) Putin Huilo | Pravda Beer Theatre | Lviv

Had a spontaneous brew day yesterday evening . Brewed up a brown ale, but missed my OG by about 10 points. I think I was shorted on grains from the company I ordered from. Oh well.

1.045 OG it is.

I will say, however, Opal 22 smells soooo good.

Had a spontaneous brew day yesterday evening . Brewed up a brown ale, but missed my OG by about 10 points. I think I was shorted on grains from the company I ordered from. Oh well.

1.045 OG it is.

I will say, however, Opal 22 smells soooo good.
Funny I just brewed spontaneously also my Brown ale and it hit right on target. Hopefully yours finishes low.

https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-resist-anti-imperial-stout/Mine is a little lower OG so I’m calling it a porter and my beet addition is lower. Brewing it for Bluepoint’s Cask Fest HBCs are invited. I’ll name it “Russia is not Borg”, because the Ukrainian resistance is kicking ass, and will not be assimilated.
How did you cook your beets, how long will/did you leave the beets on the beer? Have you sample it yet to determine what it added to the beer?

The recipe has flaked oats so i was thinking if down at a lower gravity(~1050) it should make a decent oatmeal stout.

How did you cook your beets, how long will/did you leave the beets on the beer? Have you sample it yet to determine what it added to the beer?

The recipe has flaked oats so i was thinking if down at a lower gravity(~1050) it should make a decent oatmeal stout.
I boilEd them with skins and about .5 inch of tops, then cooled and peeled them. Quartered the small beets, cut up the larger beets to about the same size, then roasted them on parchment (no oil of course) about 40 minutes at 325F. Cooled enough to bag and put in the freezer. I put the beets in primary after fermentation seemed done. Mushed them up and got them into a boiled mesh bag. They’ve been in a few days have added a lot of color, the flavor is pretty subtle, but by the time I got them processed and roasted I ended up with 11 oz of beets. Sorry for the sketchy details this is a one time creation for an event. If one has them ready, the beets can go in on the hot side. Over all it tastes pretty good, I used Polish hops. I’ll be moving this to a cask on Sunday. The yeast certainly got busy again with the beet addition.

I boilEd them with skins and about .5 inch of tops, then cooled and peeled them. Quartered the small beets, cut up the larger beets to about the same size, then roasted them on parchment (no oil of course) about 40 minutes at 325F. Cooled enough to bag and put in the freezer. I put the beets in primary after fermentation seemed done. Mushed them up and got them into a boiled mesh bag. They’ve been in a few days have added a lot of color, the flavor is pretty subtle, but by the time I got them processed and roasted I ended up with 11 oz of beets. Sorry for the sketchy details this is a one time creation for an event. If one has them ready, the beets can go in on the hot side. Over all it tastes pretty good, I used Polish hops. I’ll be moving this to a cask on Sunday. The yeast certainly got busy again with the beet addition.
Looks more detailed then sketchy to me so thank you for all of the information. I was thinking just roasting the beets but had no idea on time and temp. I had a oatmeal stout in the works so I might give this recipe a try.

Looks more detailed then sketchy to me so thank you for all of the information. I was thinking just roasting the beets but had no idea on time and temp. I had a oatmeal stout in the works so I might give this recipe a try.
You’re welcomed. Boiling before roasting makes them easy to peel. I saw a dude on YouTube that found a bottle of beet juice that he reduced and I think added to the boil. Upon tasting there was what was described as a mild “earthiness” from the beet addition. So it seems that even if one is not a fan of beets the beer will be drinkable.

Back