What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry hopped my IPA.

Made a starter for/from a pack of WLP028 Sottish ale yeast, it was week away from the use by date. Seems to be still alive and multiplying. It had been in the fridge long enough I forgot what I had I originally planned to brew with it. Still not sure what to do with it, might use to brew a @grampamark Alt or possible a wee heavy.

Also made a pound of invert#3 using turbinado sugar. 20mins on the stove and 2hours plus in the oven. Looks quite brown on the plate but a nice reddish color in the jar. Not really getting much caramel or fruit flavors but it sure is sweet.
IMG_3505 - Copy.JPG

Dry hopped my IPA.

Made a starter for/from a pack of WLP028 Sottish ale yeast, it was week away from the use by date. Seems to be still alive and multiplying. It had been in the fridge long enough I forgot what I had I originally planned to brew with it. Still not sure what to do with it, might use to brew a @grampamark Alt or possible a wee heavy.

Also made a pound of invert#3 using turbinado sugar. 20mins on the stove and 2hours plus in the oven. Looks quite brown on the plate but a nice reddish color in the jar. Not really getting much caramel or fruit flavors but it sure is sweet.
View attachment 751705

Alt Snozzeberrie brew? Awesome! :mug:

Built 4 black iron pipe bar chair frames. Couldn't get them figured out the first two tries but I changed the assembly order. It's tough but you can build a square out of black pipe. Next up is some clear coat and then I can build the seats and backs.

It will be an unadulterated Alt, all grain and no fruit.:)

i mistaook your orignal post that the purple sugar was going into the mystery yeast brew.....and i guess 'just' 2 hours in the oven wouldn't make it an alt....(as i've learned from another thread recently)

and GOOD NIGHT! :mug: :mug: (that's what i'm doing for beer today! gotta get an early start and brewing tomorrow.....)

i mistaook your orignal post that the purple sugar was going into the mystery yeast brew.....and i guess 'just' 2 hours in the oven wouldn't make it an alt....(as i've learned from another thread recently)

and GOOD NIGHT! :mug: :mug: (that's what i'm doing for beer today! gotta get an early start and brewing tomorrow.....)
No purple sugar in the Altbier (german for "old beer" I think). It will end up in an English ale or two, been looking at a couple old recipes from 1920's and 30s, possible a stout or strong bitter ale but have not determined that either. I will figure that out on the day I actually brew the beer.

Lots of busyness tonight; gathered together the big items that need to get loaded in the truck tomorrow morning for group brewday, cleaned the fermonster I'm gonna use, washed & rinsed the new mash bag, and hard-boiled 2 dozen eggs that will become devilled goodness for my buddies to munch on while we brew, pontificate, giggle, and praise each other's homebrew efforts. Also schlepped the husband to his knee surgery and drove all over hellangone getting his prescriptions and comfort items; it was arthroscopic so he is able to walk and get around, and will be joining me tomorrow. Saturday is going to be an epic day.

Lots of busyness tonight; gathered together the big items that need to get loaded in the truck tomorrow morning for group brewday, cleaned the fermonster I'm gonna use, washed & rinsed the new mash bag, and hard-boiled 2 dozen eggs that will become devilled goodness for my buddies to munch on while we brew, pontificate, giggle, and praise each other's homebrew efforts. Also schlepped the husband to his knee surgery and drove all over hellangone getting his prescriptions and comfort items; it was arthroscopic so he is able to walk and get around, and will be joining me tomorrow. Saturday is going to be an epic day.
Good brewing! And my the egg farts be with you 😧

6 weeks from brew day and this mid-1800’s style British IPA is amazing. 14# of Maris Otter, 1# of Fuggles and East Kent Goldings, and 1oz of oak. 7% ABV, 90 IBU. A little more vanilla than I want from the oak, but it has been fading slowly as it comes into its own. Really smooth.
Brewing historic beers - Fantastic!

Lets pray it's outdoors.. Beer and eggs.. An explosive combination
Yes it IS an outdoor event (kind of, the host has a large garage that will be open), and promises to be a cold wet one; 100% chance of rain today (go figure, Western Washington December), and a high of 46° predicted. Not only the eggs, but the host is making turkey meatballs, and another one of our fellows smokes his own meat and cheeses. Let's hope the beautiful smell of boiling wort masks the sulfurous output!

Yes it IS an outdoor event (kind of, the host has a large garage that will be open), and promises to be a cold wet one; 100% chance of rain today (go figure, Western Washington December), and a high of 46° predicted. Not only the eggs, but the host is making turkey meatballs, and another one of our fellows smokes his own meat and cheeses. Let's hope the beautiful smell of boiling wort masks the sulfurous output!

May the beer Gods smile down upon you with slight winds to keep the aromas moving. Wishing you and your friends a wonderful brew day .

While waiting for the torrential downpour to slow down a bit so I can load the truck, ran to HD and bought a garden sprayer to build a beer-line cleaner per some excellent suggestions found on HBT. Took a LOT more teflon tape than I expected, and a bit of adjusting, but I now have a reliable way to keep those lines free of nasties. Bout damned time I did that.

Brewing a Munich Dunkel today. Going to do a single decoction which I've only attempted one other time. Hoping it goes better than last time.
Single decoction can work out ok. Even though a Dunkel and not a doppel I would still reduce a small portion, maybe 1 qt or 2 qtr. Either way should be ok. Good brewing !

Just be careful around the open flame burners!

cold wet one; 100% chance

i don't know why i wanted to quote that out of context, after the egg farts comments..... 🤣

i've been f'n around with my milk can, trying to get a good seal on the tube that's just shoved through a hole in the lid. trying to find out how much psi i can build in it. but it keeps leaking, and i ordered the stuff to convert it to a pressure fermenter. if it works....

but should be fun trying anyway....

Several firsts for me today:

Brewed my first US pale ale in several years.

Used Montana Craft Malt 2-row for the first time today: strong efficiency, lautered beautifully, but displayed a slight haze even after a 40min recirculation. I'm thinking it has a pretty high protein content--but everything from 2020 seems to have a pretty high protein content. Don't take that as a knock on the product, that's just how the 2020 crop seems to be.

Lastly, I kegged my first batch of Panther Piss Dark. That's the dark entry into my Panther Piss series of adjunct lagers. Oh, me, oh, my!!!! It's a mere 13 days old and it already demands to be guzzled. I drank a couple half liters directly out of the fermenter and thoroughly enjoyed them. There are few things better than nailing a recipe on the first try...but I'm sure I'll mess around with it all the same.

Lastly, I kegged my first batch of Panther Piss Dark. That's the dark entry into my Panther Piss series of adjunct lagers. Oh, me, oh, my!!!! It's a mere 13 days old and it already demands to be guzzled. I drank a couple half liters directly out of the fermenter and thoroughly enjoyed them. There are few things better than nailing a recipe on the first try...but I'm sure I'll mess around with it all the same.

Go Wildcats! ;) :mug:

Group Brewday was an eminent success; four great beers were brewed and a wonderful time was had by all. Although I threw all my grain-milling knowledge out the window and milled my batch WAY too fine for my new mash bag that is finer mesh than the old one; if I'd been thinking straight I would have milled the same as previous batches or even coarser. Two stuck mashes and one stuck sparge later, I wound up with 1.062 as my SG which is better than I deserved. I'm just very lucky I didn't burn out my pump. What should have been a 4.5 hour brewday turned into 6.5+ but it was all good.

Group Brewday was an eminent success; four great beers were brewed and a wonderful time was had by all. Although I threw all my grain-milling knowledge out the window and milled my batch WAY too fine for my new mash bag that is finer mesh than the old one; if I'd been thinking straight I would have milled the same as previous batches or even coarser. Two stuck mashes and one stuck sparge later, I wound up with 1.062 as my SG which is better than I deserved. I'm just very lucky I didn't burn out my pump. What should have been a 4.5 hour brewday turned into 6.5+ but it was all good.

hmmm, i just had a 3 hour mash yesterday....but only because i'm getting old and feel asleep.....1.062 sounds beautiful though! i had to add 3lbs of table sugar to get to 1.060, because of my nap! (10 gallons 17lbs malt)

Tomorrow the weather woman said we are going to have what @seatazz was having today (rain, not eggs) and maybe the next 5days, so I brewed a 3gal batch of Snozzeberry Strong Ale today. It is an adjunct heavy recipe from 1937 with 20% 6row, 12% Snozzeberry syrup(invert#3), 10% crystal malt, and 10% flaked corn. Pregelatinized the corn which I think gave be a slightly better gravity of 1074 vs the 1071 beersmith predicted.
IMG_3528 - Copy.JPG

Tomorrow the weather woman said we are going to have what @seatazz was having today (rain, not eggs) and maybe the next 5days, so I brewed a 3gal batch of Snozzeberry Strong Ale today. It is an adjunct heavy recipe from 1937 with 20% 6row, 12% Snozzeberry syrup(invert#3), 10% crystal malt, and 10% flaked corn. Pregelatinized the corn which I think gave be a slightly better gravity of 1074 vs the 1071 beersmith predicted.
View attachment 752010
But...do the snozzberries taste like snozzberries????

1639287889724.png

View attachment 752010

man, not to get kinky...but i still think you got the prettiest hyrdo glass....if anyone else can compete, i want to see them!

Sampling brews from my Beer Advent Calendar. My daughter gave me my Christmas present on December 1'st, 24 German brews until Christmas. My kid buys me beer! Ok, I'm a little out of sequence. One a day, takes discipline. She knew I'd like it!
View attachment 752073
You are a lucky man. If I tried to drink a beer every day, my wife would be raining down missiles on my basement man cave like Stalins Katyusha rockets on the Reich Chancellory

Used my new most excellent beer line cleaning gizmo to clean and flush out all four taps. And promised myself that from now on, even if I'm immediately tapping another beer, to flush out the lines as soon as a keg kicks. Also tackled the backbreaking task of unloading the truck from yesterday's adventure, cleaned all the equipment and put it away, and did the monthly flush of the plate chiller (both ways) with boiling water.

Worked on an attempt to make an apparatus to use a pond pump to clean and sanitize equipment. Got to compile a materials list and start
Used my new most excellent beer line cleaning gizmo to clean and flush out all four taps. And promised myself that from now on, even if I'm immediately tapping another beer, to flush out the lines as soon as a keg kicks. Also tackled the backbreaking task of unloading the truck from yesterday's adventure, cleaned all the equipment and put it away, and did the monthly flush of the plate chiller (both ways) with boiling water.
What are you using to flush your lines? I'm attempting to devise a way to use a pond pump to flush beer equipment. I don't want to waste C02 or compressed air.

Back