What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather has been a little mind lately but my bucket of starsan has been sitting at about 75 so I figure with a fermawrap I should be able to keep it close to 80.

I am really curious about Kveik, but my mind keeps blowing when I hear about trying to keep the fermenter WARM!

Just finished bottling up a Belgian Pale comparison brew. I made the the last batch with Wyeast 1762 Abbey ale, this one I brewed with 3522 Ardennes. It definitely has more fruity esters than the other. Both fermented between 68-73 F. 1762 brew is more ‘refined’ in its flavor profile - nothing crazy.

Last edited:
Cleaned and sanitized a keg for the cream ale, then transferred it. Saved a pint of slurry, and now I‘m drinking a couple ounces. The Opshaugh dropped out quickly after I removed the heater and added ice To the water bath.

Edit to add image.
2195963D-8281-474A-833E-E48E4BA89CEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really beer related, but yesterday in my travels I bought a used violin. I played many years ago, when my daughter was in high school, so we had something to learn together; had to sell that one after a couple of years as money was low. This one needed new strings, and some TLC, but the sound is great. It does relate to beer, a small bit, as once I have it set up I'll be practicing during slow time in the brewday. Cats hate it, dogs are confused, but I'm happy.

I've said it before, but I am eminently lucky in my marriage; my husband loves what I do in the brewery, and brags on it every chance he gets. One of the fun things about having a spouse who is in tune with my hobby, is testing my beers on him; just now did a blind (to him) taste test of my WF and CF lagers; grain bills and hops were the same, just the fermentation was different. I didn't really have a goal for the test other than to see which one he preferred. So I gave him a small taster of each, and just asked which one he thought was the 'younger' beer. After several tastes, he selected the cold-fermented one, which at 5 weeks is definitely the older of the two. When I asked him why he picked that one (still not telling him which was which), he said it was just meh in flavor, while the other one (the WF one which is just 7 days old today) had better mouthfeel, and more flavor. In my own opinion, I like the WF better; I tend to like my beer fresh, and it's got a stronger malt backbone than the CF one. If I give it a chance, it would age out into something more resembling a 'traditional' lager, but I like the fresh taste when it's new. If I were to compare it to something commercial, it's close to a Heineken without the lightstruck flavor that Heineken can have. All in all, a great day for my brewery.

Did a double CIP on the brew system. First cleaning flushed out much junk. Second cleaning was reverse flow. Much more stuff broke loose. Finished with a good cold rinse. May do another CIP and super hot rinse tomorrow. Wish the weather would quit threatening 70% thunderstorms every day, but no storms materialize. Got a great amber in the bag ready to mash in. At least everything will be clean for the next brew day!

Bottled a Session Kveik Pale Ale. Used some of the left over slurry to make some pizza dough. It is rising as I type. Now planning what to put in this empty fermenter 😋
HOw was the pizza dough? Now that I'm getting into sourdough bread baking, I'm looking for some good beer yeasts that are also good bread yeasts? Will have to put Kviek on the list to try

It was a good pizza! Here is what I did.
50ml slurry
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup spent grain flour
10g salt
10 ounces warm water

mix it and knead for 10 minutes. Put in a ball and cover a few hours.

I made 2.5 gallons of cider, 5 gallons of skeeter pee, washed 3 kegs and then filled 2 of the 3 with a Citra IIPA That I brewed 3 weeks ago.

Well, not exactly for beer, per se; I checked on the fermentation of the Malbec that is the base for the Port I want to give away for Christmas gifts (along with my Barleywine and Imperial Stout). Big, inky, purply bubbles and a divine smell. It took all my willpower to not faceplant in the fermenting bucket.

TMI: I really, really, really, like yeast farts.

Brewed a session pale ale. Got some spent grain in the oven I’ll grind tomorrow for flour

What do you use to grind your spent grain flour? I normally just throw a couple cups of dried spent grain in to my normal sourdough mix for a whole grain sourdough. I would use more of my spent grain, though, if I could grind it finer.

What do you use to grind your spent grain flour? I normally just throw a couple cups of dried spent grain in to my normal sourdough mix for a whole grain sourdough. I would use more of my spent grain, though, if I could grind it finer.
Nutri bullet. Not quite flour consistency but works for me

My best option lol. We’ve been using beer slurry, flour, and spent grain flour to make bread and pizza dough. My wife wants some granola

I brewed a pale ale and pitched Kveik yeast for the first time! So excited!

I got to brew with a new friend who is very obviously bitten by the brew bug. I love sharing my knowledge and seeing where he will go.

Did an impromptu stout brew. The other day I tried a few bottles out of the batch and it didn’t carb. So I woke up and figured I’d brew another one now! Everything went great brew day wise. Now for the hard part, fermentation and waiting. I did mix one of my flat Guinness clones with cold brew coffee while I brewed and...😎

Been away for a few days because, well, I am learning violin and it's too much fun. Today tapped the Citra/Galaxy IPA I brewed last weekend, fermented on Loki. I let it crash a couple of days before kegging. Was a little unimpressed with the FG (1.059 only came down to 1.018) but I am VERY impressed with the flavor. Whoever said Loki throws pineapple esters was NOT kidding. If I hadn't brewed this myself I'd swear it had half a bottle of that pineapple flavoring you can get at the LHBS in it. Bit cloudier than the Kveiking IPA was at the same age, but doesn't take anything away from it. Very juicy, malt and hops are there but the yeast really made this one. I like this yeast, can't wait to see what it will do in 2nd generation.

Been busy, haven't been brewing as often as I like/used to, but I've still managed to usually have one fermenter full. Bottled a dry hopped lager (Calista, centennial, mosaic dry hop. Calista late addition kettle hop). Tastes excellent, attenuated a bit more than I expected, which I'm extremely okay with, but I'm afraid I won't have the patience to let these lager very long...

I did something a bit off the beaten path today.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a Hochkurz mash program via three infusions followed by a no-sparge runoff. I even set up a recipe in Beersmith to see if the math checked out. It did. Since I've been hankering for a Czech pils and the weather is far too miserable to be pulling decoctions, I decided to give it a shake today.

It worked out great and really couldn't have been any easier. My chief concern was pH. I built my water in its entirety in the kettle (which served as an HLT for this mash) and this included my acid addition. I was worried that the first step was going to be awfully low. It was a bit low at 5.20 and it wasn't terribly stable either, showing a noticeable upward drift. The subsequent steps were much more stable and culminated in a nice happy 5.23 pre-boil. Mash efficiency came in at a reasonable 80%.

Without knowing how the beer is going to turn out, I'm very upbeat about this technique. It was much more relaxing than running my hooptie HERMS system and, well, anything is easier than doing three decoctions. I'd happily run this program again.

Last edited:
Currently making a starter for my WY1728 for the Scottish 70/- and a starter/viability test for a packet of S-04 (Shipped in the Texas summer).

On vacation this week, heading to Boise to visit the daughter and son-in-law; so no brewing this weekend. Will probably keg off the latest WF lager later today (leaving Monday early), and building recipes for next weekend which will be a double-brew weekend. Going to do my house american strong and what I call my Sabrotooth IPA with Sabro & Citra. Planning to ferment both on some proven Loki, just for the heck of it, also to get it kegged faster.

Ordered an Anvil SS fermenter and more ingredients. Itching to brew more beers since my last couple batches a month ago.

I didn't do anything for MY beer, but I did quite a bit for my fellow brewers. We're spending a few days in the Texas hill country. I'm helping to support all the local breweries. So I'm drinking to their success. And excess. I've really drank a lot today. But most of them have been sours from Jester king, so, as I've said before, sours have a negative effect on inebriation, I'm pretty sure there is documented something something. Zzzzzzz

3 days ago: dry-hopped 2 beers; yesterday: got a starter going, and cleaned the keg and tap line from the last kicked beer; today kegged 2 beers (one to lager, one to drink now), and prepped for brewing tomorrow when it's going to be hot af.

Back