What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a cream ale, and it’s the first time I did a cereal mash with grits and rice. It went well, I even got a couple marks higher on projected SG. Pitched WLP Opshaugh (kveik) so this should be available to have on tap for the fourth along with an American amber. Now back to emptying the keg for this one. :mug:

Brewed a cream ale, and it’s the first time I did a cereal mash with grits and rice. It went well, I even got a couple marks higher on projected SG. Pitched WLP Opshaugh (kveik) so this should be available to have on tap for the fourth along with an American amber. Now back to emptying the keg for this one. :mug:
😵😵😵😵....grits???!!! When I went in the Army they asked me if I wanted grits....i asked What is a grit???? My mom only fed us good old true Northerner Cream of Wheat!

Got my stout bottled. Not as dark as I wanted. Think my roasted Barley was 300 L instead of 500 and my Maris otter isn’t as dark as the Order I just received. Oh well. I had 9 Guinness bottles I used to bottle and 2 bombers. Only a 1.5 gallon batch. Had half a bottle left that I will sample in a hour or so once the stuff settles.

edit. It looks pretty good. Tastes good too!
Yeah, regular Breiss roasted barley is on the lighter side (think they also have a "black roasted barley" which is more in line with what you'd expect). I was surprised one time picking up the ingredients for an imperial stout and the chocolate malt was darker than the roasted barley...not a fan.

😵😵😵😵....grits???!!! When I went in the Army they asked me if I wanted grits....i asked What is a grit???? My mom only fed us good old true Northerner Cream of Wheat!
LOL. I have had shrimp and grits during some travels A couple times, but I don’t serve them at home. I bought these for beer ingredient! Mmm cream of wheat and farina. ;) Flaked corn and rice for next time, much less hassle.

Tasted the Wit I did on Kveiking this morning, and now I'm sad. I don't know what happened but it's awful. Acetaldehyde with a touch of phenols, just gross. There was a fruit fly in the test beaker, I don't know if it came out of the fermenter or was just there. Also I'm afraid I overpitched the hell out of it. That would explain at least part of it, autolysed yeast. Gonna dump it, not worth trying to save. So hurried up and got grain milled for a quick WF lager batch today. Going to keg the one in the ferment fridge, it can finish in the keg, then will rack the new one on that perfect yeast cake.

Darn it I hate dumping beer.

On a MUCH happier note, the cold-fermented lager that I accidentally let go up over 80 for its diacetyl rest is now in the keg. Tasted great, came down to 1.012, and can finish out there. The WF lager brew today will rack onto that cake and be done in 10 days. Nice that something good happened today.

Tasted the Wit I did on Kveiking this morning, and now I'm sad. I don't know what happened but it's awful. Acetaldehyde with a touch of phenols, just gross. There was a fruit fly in the test beaker, I don't know if it came out of the fermenter or was just there. Also I'm afraid I overpitched the hell out of it. That would explain at least part of it, autolysed yeast. Gonna dump it, not worth trying to save. So hurried up and got grain milled for a quick WF lager batch today. Going to keg the one in the ferment fridge, it can finish in the keg, then will rack the new one on that perfect yeast cake.

Darn it I hate dumping beer.
I've had a batch or 2 dumped, couple batches I wanted to dump but bottled and let cellar for 6 months or more that actually turned out quite well. My last Aventinus clone 3 years ago taste like boiled boot leather!! I let it cellar for a year and it was fantastic!

I've had a batch or 2 dumped, couple batches I wanted to dump but bottled and let cellar for 6 months or more that actually turned out quite well. My last Aventinus clone 3 years ago taste like boiled boot leather!! I let it cellar for a year and it was fantastic!
I did enough bad ones in my early days that I'm 99% certain this one wouldn't improve with time. Acetaldehyde can be got rid of with judicious offgassing of the keg, but nasty phenolics from autolysed yeast won't ever go away. I have comfort in the knowledge that the yeast will go to help the sewer system breaking down unmentionables. That, and lesson learned with using kveik yeast (DON'T overpitch it!!!), makes me feel a bit better. Also having enough grain, hops, and yeast on hand to replace it.

I did enough bad ones in my early days that I'm 99% certain this one wouldn't improve with time. Acetaldehyde can be got rid of with judicious offgassing of the keg, but nasty phenolics from autolysed yeast won't ever go away. I have comfort in the knowledge that the yeast will go to help the sewer system breaking down unmentionables. That, and lesson learned with using kveik yeast (DON'T overpitch it!!!), makes me feel a bit better. Also having enough grain, hops, and yeast on hand to replace it.
I’ve got 2 bottled waiting to try that I’m sure I overpitched. Crossing fingers.

I have read a bunch, but have limited experience using it as of now, but I hear many brewers like to under pitch to get more of the yeast qualities. I think for “clean” fermentation though, a proper pitch would be the way to go.

I have read a bunch, but have limited experience using it as of now, but I hear many brewers like to under pitch to get more of the yeast qualities. I think for “clean” fermentation though, a proper pitch would be the way to go.
Yup, learned my lesson here. I'm too used to ale yeasts where overpitching doesn't cause many issues. Next one I do with this one will get maybe 1/4 cup of slurry, if that. On a more positive note, the WF lager I just racked onto the former one's yeast cake is already taking off, staying stable at 68 and will get down to 64 by night.

Today we had the Miami Area Society of Homebrewers' virtual brewday. We all brewed (more or less) the same Belgian IPA recipe. Average temperature of 93F today but we all survived ;)
FB_IMG_1593376588928.jpg

7 minutes from flame out, my first brew in 4 years. I had to do a lot more than I did before, between all the equipment needing cleaning and our new kitchen since last time. The countertops needed protection, the faucet doesn't take a hose, I don't have a counter at the right height anymore, and the one new piece of equipment, my sous vide machine wouldn't work for the mash. Now I remember what a PITA it was to brew.

But alas, it is almost done. Then I'll need to clean up. I'm 5 and a half hours in. Usually start to finish was 6, but I still have to cool it and transfer it.

Drove up to Ventura, CA yesterday to pick up some new-to-me equipment. Had to stop at Barrelhouse 101 for burgers, tots, and fresh pints of Pliny the Elder and Knee Deep Simtra. If anyone visits the L.A. area, that is a place to stop. Usually about 100 fresh taps, about a dozen are ciders and sours. Worth the pilgrimage.

Brewed a bitter. Screwed up mash. Curious if I dump and start over. 1.5 gallon batch so it wasn’t expensive. Probably 170 for 5 minutes then took 15 to get below 155

In the fermenter at the will of the gods now lol. Hopefully I just made a ordinary bitter even though I was going a little higher. i was so pi$$ed I forgot to check gravity

If I checked the gravity and it’s close will it be ok?

Whatever happens, it’ll be beer.

I’m not trying to be flippant, but I have learned so much from making mistakes. Most of them have been just fine, if not what I intended. A couple (notably a spiced Christmas beer) have been terrible, even after aging.

Enjoy the process, take notes on what actually happened, and work forward from there. It’s a fun, creative hobby, and at the end of it all, there’s always beer.

So today (way too early, yes I know) I tapped the lager I kegged yesterday. Was going to let it sit a week, but the taste I took when kegging was just too good. And now I'm confused. It's fairly clear (didn't fine this one, just whirlfloc in the boil), no residual yeast in this glass, and carbed up just fine; smells a bit sulfury but so do all my lagers in the early stages. First taste? Dank, dank DANK weed. Yes that kind. It fades a bit after a few sips, but that first taste just blew my mind. It's got great bitterness, very good malt flavor, but that lingering weed taste...weird. I know it will fade out with a few more days, but wow. And it might not be there after the first glass, even. Been a long time since I've done a lager cold (well, cool) so maybe that's it.

In the fermenter at the will of the gods now lol. Hopefully I just made a ordinary bitter even though I was going a little higher. i was so pi$$ed I forgot to check gravity

It's a bitter so there is a HUGE amount of variation for what is in style. As long as the sample taste isn't nasty bad, it should turn into at least drinkable beer as JAReeves said.

As ChuckP famously said (paraphrase): a pound more or less will change your beer but won't ruin it. And more famously said: Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. :ban:

Drove up to Ventura, CA yesterday to pick up some new-to-me equipment. Had to stop at Barrelhouse 101 for burgers, tots, and fresh pints of Pliny the Elder and Knee Deep Simtra. If anyone visits the L.A. area, that is a place to stop. Usually about 100 fresh taps, about a dozen are ciders and sours. Worth the pilgrimage.
Great info, I sent it to my daughter. She loves heading up to Santa Barbara (UCSB alum) and her significant other is a sour beer fan. Thanks!

Ventura Highway! In the Sunshine!

Been seeing people posting about Kveik and have not used it yet so I went to the LHBS today and was able to get some omega Voss. The weather has been a little mind lately but my bucket of starsan has been sitting at about 75 so I figure with a fermawrap I should be able to keep it close to 80.

Been seeing people posting about Kveik and have not used it yet so I went to the LHBS today and was able to get some omega Voss. The weather has been a little mind lately but my bucket of starsan has been sitting at about 75 so I figure with a fermawrap I should be able to keep it close to 80.
Pitch it at 90-95 and it will hold above 80 till finished. Wrap in a sweatshirt or blanket.

Pitch it at 90-95 and it will hold above 80 till finished. Wrap in a sweatshirt or blanket.
What are your thoughts on pitch rate?

The pouch is only 2months old and the beer will be 1050ish so I am sort of tempted to just do a direct pitch, but will mostly likely do a starter to validate the yeast health.

The pouch is only 2months old and the beer will be 1050ish so I am sort of tempted to just do a direct pitch, but will mostly likely do a starter to validate the yeast health.
Don’t need a starter with Kveik. i use 1 tsp of slurry for my 1.5 gallon batches. I could get away with a little less

Pitch some save some For another time.

Back