What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in Portland the last two days for work; on the way home yesterday stopped at the LHBS there and bought a bag of two-row; same price as the usual LHBS I go to, but no sales tax yay! Dunno if brewing this weekend but I'm going to start another batch of home-caramelized crystal soaking tomorrow night to roast on Saturday. Maybe this time I won't burn it....

This was actually Monday but I suck at posting. Kegged a no boil Cascade/Amarillo "IPA" and an oatmeal chocolate milk stout w/cherrywood smoked malt
20200309_170233.jpeg

I don't have coronavirus but I did pick up a nasty cold from somewhere, so stayed home today. Getting ready to keg a lager to have a fermenter ready for another batch of Sabro/Citra IPA on Sunday; just need to get some propane. Hopefully the panickers around here haven't decimated that supply...

Governor Idiot just closed ALL K-12 schools in the state for 6 weeks. And my husband just texted to let me know that some of the larger stores around here are posting guards at the entrances to limit the amount of people inside at any one time. We've got enough food (and of course beer) to last if we get quarantined, hope it doesn't come to that.

Well I threw caution to the wind and had lunch with my friends like I do every Friday. Then I came home and my brew buddy and I picked up 40 gal of RO water and filled the HLT set to boil. I weighed out the water chemicals and listened to a little jazz with a HB weissbier.
IMG_20200313_200353.jpg
IMG_20200313_200411.jpg

Last edited:
Kegged 10 gallons of blonde ale HB today and also filled my fridge with expensive local craft brews.
After looking at prices on the “local craft beers” I’m feeling local $= loco $ .... Glad to be a Homebrewer [emoji482]

Got results from entries to a homebrew competition. Got my highest non-medal score ever with a 39 on my braggot (very positive comments, must have been a tough category; got HM at least). Also comments on my other beers reinforce that I need to work on my bottling techniques.
And since he probably won't toot his own horn, I'll point out that @Dgallo got gold in pilsner. Good work!

Got results from entries to a homebrew competition. Got my highest non-medal score ever with a 39 on my braggot (very positive comments, must have been a tough category; got HM at least). Also comments on my other beers reinforce that I need to work on my bottling techniques.
And since he probably won't toot his own horn, I'll point out that @Dgallo got gold in pilsner. Good work!
Lol thanks brother. I did do a little, beep beep! Lol

Well, other than looking longingly at the fermenters and occasionally pulling a pint off the kegs, I have done nothing for beer since January. February was helping to run the accreditation for the high school I teach at and now I will be spending all of my free time trying to figure out how to make distance learning work for the next 2-6 weeks. Daddy needs a brew day!

@JAReeves, sounds like you're doing work from home. What better spot to be in than to brew until all your carboys are full. My local HBS is doing booming business with all the remote work folks. There must have been 6 of us in there yesterday picking up multiple brewing suppliers

@BrewMan13 @Dgallo @Punx Clever Congratulations to all of you.

So, I went snowboarding this morning (last ski area open in Washington State, maybe in the US. Bastards are letting covid lead them to "temporary" 2 week shut down, but I digress). Pitched 34/70 yeast on my cold mash experiment. Doing controlled batches of 1) cold mash for a 1015 OG, 2) non cold mash 1030 OG with the same grain bill. Scorched the first 2 cold mash testers, and then the 2nd two testers had some kind of infections (decided that Mr Beer fermenters, while good for test batches, are just too hard to clean well and have tossed them).

Bought the grain and will do an Ordinary Bitter 1) hot mash version, 2) cold mash version, 3) regular 154F mash version. Bottle the results and do a tasted test.

Also planning a 1030 OG Irish stout. Will drop the standard 5 gallon recipe to 4# base, 2# flaked barley, 1# roasted barley and Irish yeast.

Work from home? Haha, the teachers still need to show up at school and use it as their base for real-time, distance-teaching. Not only are we not at home (quarantined, I think that's a good idea-type-thingy, but I could be wrong), but classes are still following the same schedule as if the kids were at school. Such is life.

Still have this stupid head cold but had to work today. Before I left this morning I peeked at the Sabro/Citra IPA I brewed yesterday morning; going great guns now and hoping for no explosive blowoff like last brew.

NOW the gubmint has ordered the closure of all bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues (movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc.) for at least 2 weeks. I know there's legislation in the works to help out the businesses that will be losing money (not to mention the employees that are screwed) but this is getting crazier by the minute. The man has the week off and went this morning to stock us up on food, if it comes to it we can survive for two weeks without leaving the house. Kinda hoping it comes to that, even though I'd have to work a bit from home.

They put the SF Bay Area on a shelter in place order starting tomorrow, so I ran out to get a CO2 tank filled but the shop already shut down. Came back and rearranged tanks so I can keep serving beer for the next 3 weeks.

Checked gravity on a Strong Bitter, worked on a recipe for a session IPA.

Just crushed and put 63 Oreos in an imperial milk stout (post primary ferm) - gave the keg a little CO2, noticed a leak an hour or so later and attempted to poke the out post to fix said leak; stout shot in my face. Best part is I had the biggest smile because the bastard already tastes like Oreos an hour after adding them.

Big competition next month has been postponed...and I've got three of my four entries already in kegs. What to do? As much as it would suck for a lot of people, kinda hoping for a quarantine or at least being told to work from home so I can make sure the pipeline stays full. Priorities? I got 'em in spades. Also grain, hops, yeast, and propane. Bring on the zombie apocalypse! If I give em a beer maybe they won't eat my brains.

*edit: please don't be offended if you or a loved one/acquaintance/coworker/random person you know has been affected by this stupid virus. Laughter is always the best medicine....washed down with homebrew, of course.

IMG_8873.JPG

Cycling cleaner through a sanke tap that hasn’t been used in years. Next some hot water and sanitizer before tapping an OH keg tomorrow.
Need to rearrange one faucet in the kegerator to use this sanke tap too.
Figured now is the time to stock up on some beers before only grocery stores are open and their beer selection gets depleted. Plus this helps a local craft brewery.

I just got a chuckle from the idea of a grain farmer mowing the lawn.
Well, at our city house we have a little yard that takes less than half an hour to mow; maybe 10 minutes for the front yard and 15 for the back. That works up enough of a sweat to warrant a beer or two.

At the farm there’s about 10 acres that has to be mowed around the building site and a lawn around the house that’s not quite an acre. We use a small tractor with a finishing mower on the 3-Point hitch to mow the larger areas. My wife has a smaller zero turn mower to maintain the lawn around the house. There’s actually a fair amount of mowing to do around a grain farm.

Back