What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9231.JPG

Dropped off a 6-pack of various beers to a good friend. This was his view after I rang the doorbell and took off like a bat out of hell.

Pull that trigger dude
If I can get the numbers to work I probly gonna... One option would be to wait til I get the quad sold I'm currently rebuilding to get a 56L BrewMonk (6-700€) so I could fill two fermenters in one go but since I discovered a full kit with pumps and all (OneConcept Hopfengott 30) can be had for ~300€ I'm really torn about which way to go... With fly sparging I'd already cut the brew session time in 2/3 of what it currently is not to mention burning gas flame indoors... Gotta have a good long think

If I can get the numbers to work I probly gonna... One option would be to wait til I get the quad sold I'm currently rebuilding to get a 56L BrewMonk (6-700€) so I could fill two fermenters in one go but since I discovered a full kit with pumps and all (OneConcept Hopfengott 30) can be had for ~300€ I'm really torn about which way to go... With fly sparging I'd already cut the brew session time in 2/3 of what it currently is not to mention burning gas flame indoors... Gotta have a good long think
One thing I like about the BrewMonk is the power output. It is in 100 watt increments for more precise boil control to prevent boil overs. I also found a system called Danbrygger a Danish company that is said to be identical to the BrewMonk at 2/3 the cost. I would do some serious research. You'll love electric brewing. I built this one myself. Good luck.
IMG_20200321_115803.jpg

Made myself a little rig for the RO system to make it portable/storable. Also added the rest of the pump system to the setup. Better than hanging on the garage wall like it had been.

Attachments

• B0222F59-3CE8-49D0-A018-F6F76A1A5CD0.jpeg
    B0222F59-3CE8-49D0-A018-F6F76A1A5CD0.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 24
  • B3CCD181-483B-43BD-B2E9-45D38D496D41.jpeg
    B3CCD181-483B-43BD-B2E9-45D38D496D41.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 22
My friend who is an electrician came over today and he installed a 20 amp GFI breaker in my main electric panel. He also installed 4 new electric outlets in my garage for my extra chest freezer, tools, etc.. I can now fit my lager kegs in the extra freezer to lager away and I have plenty of room for my ale kegs while they wait to get tapped in my kegerator!

John

Both halves of my golden ale working away just fine did not have to mess with the slow one.

Went and bought some propane for the first in two years. Going to make a small batch of extract bitter tomorrow so need to fire up the propane burner.

Got an email saying my order of grain that was suppose to be delivered today now has an unknown delivery date. Glad it was a small order and I already have some other on hand to brew with.

My friend who is an electrician came over today and he installed a 20 amp GFI breaker in my main electric panel. He also installed 4 new electric outlets in my garage for my extra chest freezer, tools, etc.. I can now fit my lager kegs in the extra freezer to lager away and I have plenty of room for my ale kegs while they wait to get tapped in my kegerator!

John
I have a couple questions. 1. How old is your house, does it have 14 or 12 awg wiring? 2. Did he use any existing wiring or did he run all new 12 awg? If he is a licensed electrician he would use 12 awg for a 20 amp circuit for code.

Got my 2gal batch of bitter done, 30min extracts are sort of nice for a change of pace.

UPS came through with my grain, so I have more options for up coming brew days.

Watched some bubbles and checked gravity too.

I have a couple questions. 1. How old is your house, does it have 14 or 12 awg wiring? 2. Did he use any existing wiring or did he run all new 12 awg? If he is a licensed electrician he would use 12 awg for a 20 amp circuit for code.

My house is 23 years old. Yes he used his own 12 awg wire for the 20 amp circuit. He did a really good job and all he wanted was my home brew! Couldn't believe he wouldn't take my money. We had a few beers after the job and that is all it cost me!

John

Kegged off my second batch of Sabro/Citra IPA a few minutes ago. The first one was dry-hopped with the pellets in a muslin bag, for this one I threw caution to the winds and dumped the hops directly into the fermenter, as I have plenty of fresh yeast on hand and I really hate washing hop goo out of yeast slurry. The first one really didn't come into its own until it had been in the keg a few days; this one, straight out of the fermenter, has a HUGE pineapple nose and the flavor is incredible. Super juicy, a tad bit of bitterness to counteract the sweetness, faint traces of coconut, and just eminently fantastic. If anyone wants the recipe, it's fairly simple: 12lbs GW two row mashed about 151 for an hour, standard sparge, and the hop schedule was 1oz Comet at 60; 1oz each Citra and Sabro at 10 and 5, and another ounce of each as a whirlpool after the wort hit 180. 1oz Citra added at high krausen, then 2oz each of Citra and Sabro when fermentation looked to be slowing down after 5 days. At 10 days I stuck it in the kegerator to crash, and I did use gelatin to fine it as I want this one pretty. Cannot WAIT to pull a pint of this in a few days.

Built a keg washer/rinser based on others' design to work with 2.5, 3.0 and 5.0 gallon kegs. Still need to add keg post attachments. This allows the keg to sit below the lip of the bucket to keep from spilling liquid (actually it spills some from the foam). That is a 3/4" 360 sprayer. I debated on 1/2" but my gamble on the 3/4" seems fine. It can disassembled to fit in the bucket for storage. I will still use a CO2 transfer from a keg of StarSan to the cleaned/rinsed keg and back out to StarSan keg for sanitizing.

_MJR8490_web33p.jpg

Last edited:
Bottled 25 bottles of kolsch.
Wife wakes up from a nap and says "Where's yours?"
Sitting here tweaking a recipe for another batch tomorrow.

Also, spilled the yeast slurry from the above batch on the kitchen floor. :(

lol, your cred just went up to eleven!! i live off beans!! do you have a website to buy them, like the palouse brand? i'd be more then willing to drop $50 on a 25lb bag of grampamark beans! :D
Sorry, we don’t grow beans; mostly dry peas. Dry edible beans aren’t very marketable in this area as we’re too far from any of the buyers. Chickpeas and Garbanzos can be sold closer to home but the price is so variable, and dependent on quality factors that are a moving target, that we have little incentive to grow them. If you like pea soup I could send you some peas. The shipping would probably cost 10X what the peas are worth.

Spent a lazy Saturday drinking a LOT of my new IPA and not doing much else. Made breakfast for dinner and took two naps. Tomorrow I might work on the car or might not. First weekend in a long while that I'm not brewing; kegerator is full, with another full keg waiting in the garage, and one in the fermenter that can get kegged next weekend.

Sorry, we don’t grow beans; mostly dry peas. Dry edible beans aren’t very marketable in this area as we’re too far from any of the buyers. Chickpeas and Garbanzos can be sold closer to home but the price is so variable, and dependent on quality factors that are a moving target, that we have little incentive to grow them. If you like pea soup I could send you some peas. The shipping would probably cost 10X what the peas are worth.

split pea soup? love it, i thought they were beans too? split peas and lentils are my two favorites....they're high in lysine and i can mix it with vital wheat gluten to make noodles, and also yeast leavened stuff.....and it's a complete protein that way......(and i figure shipping is the killer, but peas cost $1.50/lb at the store)

edit: here in S. AZ, beans grow on trees.....but the actual seeds aren't that big.....otherwise i'd live off mesquite....;)

edit #2: when i fix split peas i grind them into flour, mix it with about a third of vital wheat gluten roll them out into noodles, then serve with a cheddar sauce.....the flour works good for a instant split pea soup too....just throw in some ham base, and cheddar! done in a minute....

Last edited:
Starting to ramp up temps for 3 kegs of lager (Light American, American and Pre-prohibition) for diacetyl rest all using 2124 yeast. Moving them to secondary midweek. Also will be moving three kegs of British Golden Ale to secondary at the same time (each have a different hop selection for flavor and aroma; same hops used for bittering all of them). On a side-note, I'm making a 5-stage makgeolli in a 7 gallon glass carboy.

pitched yeast for my great experiment.

I bottled "cold mash" experiment with ~45% munich, 45% vienna, 10% carabohemia with 34/70 lager yeast. Did a cold mash, a tiny beer, and a cold mash that went straight from brewpot to keg to spund and in the glass in under a week. The keg wasn't terrible.

Sunday I also finished up with the "hot mash" 185F versions. Did a hot mash, did a regular mash as a control, cold mash with a comparable grain bill, and then 2nd runnings + some 6 row for enzyme conversion. All pitched with Windsor 'cause that or London Ale were recommended by lallemond. These 4 are in the fermenter, and I should bottle the older ones this weekend.

Got the grainfather out to get started on a saison then remembered I still had a pale ale cold crashing. Kegged that, might do the saison tomorrow.

i ordered 60lb's of pale malt from more beer, hope it get's here before i have too many empty kegs, but after i have enough empty ones to fill....it's tough having too much, or not enough beer on tap, empty fermenters, full fermenters.......damn, my head's spinning, i need a drink....:)

Last edited:
Kegged a couple batches today. The first was a high octane Belgian Brut that originally finished at 0.992. After multiple attempts at bottle conditioning (all epic fails), the gravity rose to 0.996 from all the added corn sugar. Been trying to referment to bring gravity back down (also epic fail) but I'm just killing my yeast. So, force carbing in keg.
The second batch is a Duvel clone, took the FG too low, it is at 1.002. Taste test was a little lemony, will let it sit and carb for awhile and see what happens.

Took a sample of my Oslo kveik helles lager from the fermenter. 1.058 to 1.008 in 4 days. Tasting pretty good. Cold crashing and lagering for a week.
20200330_164353.jpg

i ordered 60lb's of pale malt from more beer, hope it get's here before i have too many empty kegs, but after i have enough empty ones to fill....it's tough having too much, or not enough beer on tap, empty fermenters, full fermenters.......damn, my head's spinning, i need a drink....:)

Is all shipping free from MoreBeer after $59? I've never ordered through them, but I often see some of their items listed as not eligible for free shipping. If thats completely negated at free after $59 bucks, I may have to give them or AIH a shot.

Back