What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a scale at the flea market to weigh out grains. 100 LBs max. with 0.01 LB resolution and an ounce scale as well.

2018-08-26 17.36.21.jpg

Pulled the PRV on the Dank IPA again. I'm not happy with the way it's tasting so far. I'm about 98% positive it has to do with all of the yeast and gunk that got in the keg with the wonky autosiphon, so patience and time to let it settle after force carbing should help. Right now it's a hoppy, vomitous (from the yeast and hops in the bottom) mess. I can taste what it SHOULD wind up as behind the nastiness, but if this doesn't turn out....there goes a lot of hops.

I toasted 2oz of white oak chips, bought a bottle of knob creek to soak them in, and right now I'm smoking some maple syrup with pecan wood. It's all going into a 1.060 Belgian stout that will be ready to transfer into secondary on Sunday. I had been hoping to pitch a RIS onto the 1762 yeast cake this weekend but didn't manage to get all the ingredients together. I'll just save the slurry in a large jar till next weekend I guess.

Inventoried my partial bags of grain, weighed them, and secured them in a rodent safe bin. I’ll try to use them as a recipe called for them.

Also took a hydrometer reading on the APA. Not done yet.

Took a sample of my Bavarian hefeweizen today, hit my gravity perfectly at 1.009. Great taste to the 70° uncarb'd sample. Can't wait until it's kegged, carb'd and chilled.

Brewed up two batches of warm fermented lagers. Each with a different harvested yeast, (34/70 in one and S-23 in the other) and the first one got a ton of Mosaic hops as well. Now waiting for them both to take off while cooking dinner, was going to go to the Fair today but decided to be a nice wife (HA!) and let the husband go golfing in Yakima so I get to drag him to the Fair all day tomorrow. Good smells in my house today.

What I did for beer today was taste it.
My Northern Brewer Amber Ale was ready today !
It has been second fermenting in it bottles for two weeks .
After reading other forum members that had trouble getting good carbonation brewing this beer I was a little worried that it wouldn’t have carbonated enough.

However I am pleased to report that the bottle opened with a satisfactory hiss and the gas vapour cold be seen smoking out of the neck of the bottle.

Pouring the Amber ale, into my favourite “I love craft ale” glass, the liquid was indeed a deep clear Amber colour almost chestnut brown. The little bubbles rising enthusiastically.
To form a nice 5mm foam head on top of the beer.

I have to say it tasted lovely with notes of burnt caramel or Treacle Toffee and no bitter after-taste.

For my very first brew I would say I am very pleased.

My son said it is similar to some of the ales he likes like Hobgoblin.

On to the next brew!

Double Otter and Mosaic Hops me thinks!

You can follow my first ever attempts
At brewing on my YouTube channel
The Crafty Ale Enthusiast.

I brewed a scotch ale founders dirty bastard clone. Named it filthy bastard because I changed the grain bill because my brew store didn't have the exact ingreadance I posted a picture of the recipe below.

Attachments

• 1535919002021931667143.jpg
    1535919002021931667143.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
I also upgraded my burner from propane to natural gas pictures below

Attachments

• 0829181559.jpg
    0829181559.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 0901181304a.jpg
    0901181304a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
Slowly working on my HERMS HLT

Attachments

• rsz_img_20180902_134002465_hdr.jpg
    rsz_img_20180902_134002465_hdr.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20180902_185233367.jpg
    IMG_20180902_185233367.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
Bottled a batch of hefeweizen, basic recipe with 3638 bavarian wheat yeast. Grav sample tasted green but promising. Also boiled up 2 pounds of raw peanuts in a pressure cooker, seasoned with chachere's creole seasoning and hot hungarian paprika. Great with beer!

Most ambitious brew weekend to date finished up with what I hope will be three successful beers. today is for laundry, resting, and staring at my ribbons. Yah I know, 2nd place so what, but it means the world to me!
20180903_061625[1].jpg
20180903_061615[1].jpg

Brewed an oatmeal stout in the heat; quick brewday, hit my numbers pretty well, fermentation started fast.

I want to hear about this peach milkshake IPA!

Oh you will! Was actually the husband's idea. We really like the few milkshake IPA's we've tried so it was time for me to do one. The only thing I was concerned about was the yeast I used (BRY-97 as the LHBS was out of my go-to Notty), it took almost 24 hours to really get going but it's chugging along now. I hope to get it on the fruit by Thursday and keg 7-10 days after that. Also the first IPA I've done with all of the flavor/aroma hops added at flameout.

Buying a 10' hose for my plate chiller so I can brew on my setup in winter as well, this will finalize the hardware for my BIAB setup. With the hot side covered, the next money pit will be fermentation!

Rebuilt my regulator. It wasn’t allowing gas through. Something had gotten clogged in the coupling between the reg and the hose. Took the brass bits apart and put it back together and now the gas goes into the keg.

Dry hopped my 3rd attempt at Da Yooper's pale ale with an oz each of comet and 007 (Idaho 7).

Gotta drink a few more so I can bottle Sunday.

Weighed out the peaches I need to prep to go into my Peach Milkshake IPA later tonight. Gravity is down to 1.018, krausen is still up but I need to get the fruit in there if I want this keggable by next weekend. Some of you are going to frantically tell me NO, you have to wait until krausen is down...but my brewpub boss dumps his wort straight out of the chiller onto fruit for his strawberry and lime blondes, and they turn out great. I'm going to scald the cut up fruit and chill it before I dump it in the fermenter, but my thinking is...there's alcohol in that fermenter. As long as I do everything in my limited power to get clean fruit in the fermenter, the alcohol already present will overpower anything that might manage to make its way in there (which if I do my job right, it won't). Base beer tastes great, whirlpool hops really pop, and the lactose gives it a nice sweetness and mouthfeel even with a lot of yeast still in suspension. So far, good...and yesterday I dry hopped the Hoppy WF lager I brewed last weekend as well. THAT one is going to be epic from the hydrometer sample I drank all of, and was tempted to take more. And, because I was way too ambitious last weekend, I've got another WF lager that once the two aforesaid are out of the fermentation fridge and kegged, will get ramped down to 48 for some extended lagering time. Won't need to keg that for at least two weeks, so looking forward to actually lagering in the fermenter instead of the keg this time.

Yesterday I cleaned the keg and associated tap line from the porter that I kicked the day before; ready and waiting for the oatmeal stout! Also completed my 3-day cleaning of a carboy that I used with a diastaticus yeast strain.

Back