What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. “Rural” takes on a whole new meaning when you get as far out in the weeds as we are.
Understood , I am rural also ... Basically live in the swamp ... people ask aren't you worried about water mocassins ? NOPE ... rather my kids grow up with ALL the poisonous snakes in the world than live in a city. And that's the gods truth. BUT a friend of mine I went to high school with moved up to your neck of the woods (Wisconsin) and froze to death in a blizzard a few years back when his truck broke down . Maybe There's a rural compromise somewhere in the south for ya ?

Sorry to derail this thread ... All I did for beer today was taste my "Toad spit stout" at 8 days in the bottle... it's nice ... good head ... little more bitter than I like ... I'm thinking it's the Fuggles hops ... last couple beers I made with fuggles seem harsh ... I like EKG better.

Cleaned my new kettle, getting it ready for next weekend's Common ale.

Attachments

• 20230312_142736.jpg
    20230312_142736.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Brewed up a quick extract batch before church to try a new yeast on. Placed it in my handy-dandy garbage pail ferm chamber set at 70. The saison I brewed last week and fermented at 80 may still have a few points to go. So I dug out the old Ranco and put together another ferm chamber- large pot, lizard heating pad, and a couple of towels.

I had neglected my refrigerator ferm chamber for a bunch of months and it developed mold. Any suggestions on how to clean?
20230312_225546.jpg
20230312_225513.jpg

Brewed an English Bitter clone called Jail Ale. It’s based on a beer brewed by Dartmoor Brewery who are next to the famous prison.
22 litres
4200g Pale Malt
200g Cara Gold 45L
100g Wheat malt
70g Chocolate malt
Hops
35g Challenger @60m
25g Bramling Cross @15m
35g Bramling Cross @WP 20m @85C
Nottingham yeast
Target 4.8% ABV

Brewed an English Bitter clone called Jail Ale. It’s based on a beer brewed by Dartmoor Brewery who are next to the famous prison.
22 litres
4200g Pale Malt
200g Cara Gold 45L
100g Wheat malt
70g Chocolate malt
Hops
35g Challenger @60m
25g Bramling Cross @15m
35g Bramling Cross @WP 20m @85C
Nottingham yeast
Target 4.8% ABV
I didn't know that there was a brewery next to the prison - must drive the prisoners crackers.

Entries for Cascade Brewers Cup are due this Friday, so tonight is bottling from the kegs night. Giving the lines a good soak and rinse before I take on that happy, messy job. Been an embarrassing amount of time since I've done it, bit ashamed of myself. Especially since my line cleaning setup is dead easy to set up and use; home depot pump sprayer, with a post attached to the line thing, and just hot water and oxyclean. Promised myself when I got it that I would clean the lines at least once a month, ideally whenever I kicked a keg; yah, been slackalackin with that.

Installed the pressure lid on my WF lager fermented on Novalager yeast this morning, gave it a tiny blast of co2, and set the ferment fridge to 55° to start it crashing/lagering. About to turn it down to 50°, tomorrow sometime I'll turn it down to 45° and let it sit for a few more days. Pipeline is fairly full at the moment so I can let this one do it's thang for a while longer. And sipping on my NEIPA that I brewed for upcoming competition; I was not happy with it when first tapped, but a few days in and it's absolutely fantastic. Hope the bottles the judges get taste as good. This one got me a silver medal the last time this competition came off, hoping for the same or better this time around.

Put together a cider with tart cherry juice… all commercial juices. It’s bubbling away nicely now.
I've done a similar one several times now, with apple juice from wallyworld and cherry juice from Trader Joe's. Now I'm jonesing for some. Guess I AM brewing something this weekend.

Started my American Pale Ale just a bit ago. First time brewing a Pale Ale from scratch. 90% pale malt, 10% crystal, rolling with citra and cascade on the hops. 5 gallon batch. But also my first time brewing with two 8 gallon kettles and I'm coming to the realizing I do not have a big enough stove top as I prep my mash and sparge water. I'm also not sure what I'm going to do once it comes time to batch sparge, as I only have a couple smaller stock pots left. Oh well! RDWHAHB and whatnot.

Been a bit lax around here lately; had the flu earlier this week (still getting over it) and not much done for beer. Mead, however, is an excellent thing to have when you're sick. Busy gal today, exchanged my 5lb co2 tank, kegged off my Comet Ale (an Elysian Men's Room Original Ale clone, kinda), and dry hopped the NEIPA for a competition coming up. Next I'm milling grain for the WF lager I'll brew tomorrow, and ferment on Lallemand Novalager. Was supposed to do it last weekend but forgetful me forgot about the 5th beer for the competition that still had to be brewed.
Hope you are feeling better !

Hope you are feeling better !
Now the husband has it. I hope I didn't whine and b*tch as much as he did when I had it. At least I got to have more fun with my temperature gun. It's not the 'rona, both of us tested negative; just your garden variety nasty flu bug that goes around this time of year.

Kegged the WF Lager I fermented on Lallemand Novalager yeast last week. It was done in about 3 days, sat for another four to clean up, then got a nice gradual crash. Taste on kegging isn't phenomenal but definitely lacking the sulfur I get with other lager yeasts. 1.052 down to 1.010 for a nice 5.5%ABV. Should be ready to tap by Wednesday, I'll report back then. In other news, cleaned the ceiling fan in the bedroom; uck.

Back