What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kicked the keg on my Bretted Belgian pale, so at some point today I'll be kegging up my "Victeron" hopfenweisse (which is on day 3 of dry hopping).
I'll then have to try and clean up my Fermzilla, because the yeast blowout has glued the lid on pretty hard.

Kicked the keg on my Bretted Belgian pale, so at some point today I'll be kegging up my "Victeron" hopfenweisse (which is on day 3 of dry hopping).
I'll then have to try and clean up my Fermzilla, because the yeast blowout has glued the lid on pretty hard.
Finally got round to this today. I'd intended on sticking it straight in the kegerator but the hop burn is pretty fierce (much worse than I'd expect for a 4oz dry hop, on par with some of my 12-ounce ones) so it'll be sitting in the keg under 12psi for a while before I tap it.

I have noticed the last few brews I'm getting a lot of hop matter from my whirlpool in the fermenter. Not sure why, it's not something I've experienced before, but might look to filtering in transfer. Wort clarity is the one thing I still don't seem to get quite right, suspect I'll need to bite the bullet and start crushing my own grain.

Wort clarity is the one thing I still don't seem to get quite right, suspect I'll need to bite the bullet and start crushing my own grain.

How is wort (or beer) clarity related to grain crush?

How is wort (or beer) clarity related to grain crush?
Finer crush had more flour-like small particle size materials, which take longer to drop out/settle and are therefore more likely to still be in suspension after cooling and transfer.

At least, that's been my assumption so far, given that I can predict with a high degree of accuracy whether my wort is going to look like mud based on how fine my crush is. One particular supplier I use more out of convenience than desire frequently ships me malt that's about 15% course flour by my eye.

To be fair, this beer was particularly bad due to being 55% wheat malt.

Last edited:
1. Bottled my rye saison hop sampler.
2. Dug a hole for a trellis pole in the garden, to finally plant some hops this year.
3. Smiled big when I came down to the basement and saw my local yeast starter, made from spontaneously fermented beer from a local brewery that has since shut down, was bubbling.

Pulled a gravity sample of the Cream Ale I brewed last month. OG was .040. Sample tasted great.
B11EF681-785B-4ED6-AE11-145BFBE7B088.jpeg

I actually registered on this forum to learn more about beer brewing today. Does that count? :D
Yes I guess that does count! Welcome to the forum, from Long Island NY!
I mashed in the grains for a wheat wine about half an hour ago.

Attachments

• FB19DAD1-86D2-4124-90B9-5BED39CE693D.jpeg
    FB19DAD1-86D2-4124-90B9-5BED39CE693D.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
I bottled three styles (4 bottles ea) and boxed 6 bottles (2 ea) for NHC First Round. I am saving 2 ea bottles of each style to 1) drink 1 ea on the day of judging to see/smell/taste what the judges are experiencing and take notes and then again 2) drink 1 ea when I get my scoresheets to see/smell/taste to see if I can discern the judges feedback compared to my notes.

Kegged a Cream Ale. This must be the palest beer I’ve ever made. The sample tasted fine, and the lite beer drinkers will think it’s great, but I probably should have added a little Munich or Vienna (Pilsner, White Wheat, Flaked Oats and table sugar).
97887AE7-EC8E-4A2D-A200-E7B33DF7D7F5.jpeg

Been a bit lax around here lately; had the flu earlier this week (still getting over it) and not much done for beer. Mead, however, is an excellent thing to have when you're sick. Busy gal today, exchanged my 5lb co2 tank, kegged off my Comet Ale (an Elysian Men's Room Original Ale clone, kinda), and dry hopped the NEIPA for a competition coming up. Next I'm milling grain for the WF lager I'll brew tomorrow, and ferment on Lallemand Novalager. Was supposed to do it last weekend but forgetful me forgot about the 5th beer for the competition that still had to be brewed.

The weather in the northern part of the state has been particularly wintry this week. I mentioned yesterday that we were involved with an agricultural trade show which is going on this weekend. My wife and I went to town (25 miles away) this morning, fulfilled our obligations, and beat feet back to the farm before the already nasty storm got worse, which is predicted. I thought about taking a picture but it would have just looked like a blank, white screen. Wind blowing about 40 mph directly across the highway and visibility not much more than a few feet in front of the bumper. Twice I put the window down and watched the edge of the road on my side because no sign of the highway was visible through the windshield.

Days like this are the reason we’re retiring to the city. This isn’t a bad place to live but the remoteness and frequent bad weather make it an undesirable place to grow old. :cool:

I'm worried about our family in the San Bernardino Mountains. Last week the snow line was 1000', this week 9000'. With the rainstorms we are getting (6+" in 24hrs.), they are expecting a lot of snow (10+feet deep) to turn to water, increase the weight of snow and crush buildings, and cause floods all down the mountains. We need the drought to be over, but sheesh, this is a little more than Californian's are prepared for. Do you guys in the regularly snowy areas get houses exploding from gas leaks and stuff when it's a blizzard?

I'm worried about our family in the San Bernardino Mountains. Last week the snow line was 1000', this week 9000'. With the rainstorms we are getting (6+" in 24hrs.), they are expecting a lot of snow (10+feet deep) to turn to water, increase the weight of snow and crush buildings, and cause floods all down the mountains. We need the drought to be over, but sheesh, this is a little more than Californian's are prepared for. Do you guys in the regularly snowy areas get houses exploding from gas leaks and stuff when it's a blizzard?
We don’t see houses exploding because when it snows a lot the wind blows a lot and houses don’t get buried. Our roads get blocked and we might not be able to leave the yard for a couple of days but houses don’t explode or collapse because the snow is usually moving, not piling up on roofs.

Back