What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a WF lager last weekend, and delved deeper into the rabbit hole of pressure fermentation. Had my pressure lid on it from the getgo, last night closed the valve a bit so it held some co2. I brewed this on Sunday; today, Tuesday, it's at terminal gravity (1.009 from 1.059) and tastes pretty good. FYI, a picnic tap held below the fermenter works great for a LODO siphon as long as you have a floating dip tube in it. Fermented this on some proven 34/70 slurry at 66°. Just set it to crash after giving it about 3psi; will check in the morning and probably give it a bit more. Hoping for great things from this one, it's set to go to competition mid-March.

Took a reading of my competition beer. 1.012. Into the cold crash!
1ACC48DA-DB28-425E-90F3-33ED58911F50.jpeg

Brewed a WF lager last weekend, and delved deeper into the rabbit hole of pressure fermentation. Had my pressure lid on it from the getgo, last night closed the valve a bit so it held some co2. I brewed this on Sunday; today, Tuesday, it's at terminal gravity (1.009 from 1.059) and tastes pretty good. FYI, a picnic tap held below the fermenter works great for a LODO siphon as long as you have a floating dip tube in it. Fermented this on some proven 34/70 slurry at 66°. Just set it to crash after giving it about 3psi; will check in the morning and probably give it a bit more. Hoping for great things from this one, it's set to go to competition mid-March.
I just did this beer for the first time pressure fermenting. Brewed it 8 days ago, put on 5 psi. When I put the sample in my hydrometer, it looked carbonated. But it’s not yet finished. I’ll try my first try at transferring into the keg under pressure tomorrow or the next. Then bottle a few to send off to AHA.

Busy day off today. Kegged the Orange Coriander Wit, tapped the WF lager that I originally thought would be sh*t but is actually settling out very nice, brewed a quick batch of Blonde fermenting on Lutra, and finally visited our local honey farm. Bought 6lbs of their raspberry honey that tastes just amazing, and will make a small batch of mead with it later today. Was cheaper than I thought it would be, so for future batches will definitely go back.

Bottled "Pineapple BrettSide-Down Cake." Blonde ale with Pineapples, Cherries, Vanilla, Lactose, Lyle's Treacle. 3 months in secondary (actually tertiary) with White Labs Brett brux. Still needs some brett time in the bottle. Pic is of siphon loss. Not sure what the weird reflection band was. You can read a newspaper through this.

nNrYUws.jpg

Worked on a wheat wine recipe, organized a beer cabinet, put some bottles in the fridge to see if there’s HB I should toss or use. Tidying up for a brew day as soon as this weekend fingers crossed. Oh, and emptying and cleaning a few bottles of HB that wasn’t going to be drank like the last 2 bottles of the infamous bacon wrapped scallop stout.

Busy day in the brewery today. Kegged my Strata Pale, tapped my Clementine mead (first mead I've kegged), and set the latest Lutra Blonde to crash. Later tonight I'll mill grain for a clone recipe I'm trying tomorrow. Elysian Brewing came out with Men's Room Original Ale a couple of months ago, husband bought a sixer the other night, and I'm in love with it. Seems to be a fairly simple grain bill of two-row and munich, and only Comet hops; I have all of those on hand.

There used to be a brewery in town that specialized in spontaneously fermented, wild, and barrel aged ales. They have since moved out of state. I found an older bottle of a spontaneously fermented ale that they brewed while they were still in town.

Today I pitched the yeast from that bottle into a rye saison wort starter. I'm trying to start a local / hometown yeast bank, for future brews.

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_164705526.jpg
    IMG_20230226_164705526.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
welp, i missed brew day yesterday. but got off work early today, mashed in and got my maiden voyage of my spiffy brewing america mash hydro....unfortanly it told me first runnings are 1.060....but that was just after 5 minutes of mash time....hopefully it improves! that what i want my OG to be.....

Yesterday ordered some Novalager from labelpeelers; morebeer is out of stock. Nobody around here carries it, so I got permission to order it online. Supposed to be here on Saturday, so an epic brewday planned for Sunday. And tapped my latest Lutra blonde, to keep my grubby paws off the lager that's supposed to go to competition in a couple of weeks. Now it's time for xbox and snuggling with dogs.

Back