What hops would you use for hoped cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ritsuko Akagi

Reaction score
I have been making cider for a little bit now, but never anything with beer or hops. I was wanting to make a hoped cider and was wondering what hops other would use.

I when to my local homebrew store an picked out Centennial , Lemondrop and Vic's Secret. Because those all sounded good at the time. How do you think a Blend of 2 or all 3 of these would work out? Or are there any other Hops you Would use.

I have used EKG exclusively, which is one of my all-around favorite hops in beer, too.

I see a lot of cideries using Citra. I tend not to like the citrusy hops in cider... just my preferences.

Lol, I feel exactly the opposite of bucketnative: I think that fruity and citrusy hops are an excellent compliment. I have had excellent results with Citra, Cascade, Nugget, and Mandarina Bavaria.

The ones you chose are all fruity/citrusy and should work well (in my opinion). You can try a single kind to highlight that specific hops, or use a combo. You will want to add the hops in secondary (dry-hopping), I dry-hop after the cider has already fully clarified so that I am ready to bottle as soon as hopping is done in order to preserve the hop aromas. I typically use an Ounce(28grams) of hops in a 6 gallon batch, and let the hops sit in mesh bags in the cider for a week and then rack it and bottle/keg at that point.

Citra and Cascade for me - 2 ounces leaves not pellets in 5 - 6 gallons like Sequoiacider dry hopped in secondary using a mesh bag and checked and pulled at 4 to 5 days. I would suggest no longer than 8 days as they give off a little "grassy" flavor if kept in longer.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, CKuhns post reminded me: For a six-gallon batch I use 1 oz if using pellets, and 2 oz if I am using whole cone. I definitely prefer whole cone, though if the kind I want is only available in pellet then I use those.

I hopped a batch of cider this year because it was a bit bland and "needed something". I had Cascade and Galaxy hops but in the end only used the Cascade. The citrus notes were just right.

A word of warning. The cider takes on the hop flavour quite quickly. At the end of secondary I suspended 3g per litre of hops in muslin to avoid bits of hop through the cider for a few days (with a couple of marbles, otherwise the hops float) for about five days. But taste, taste, taste each day, until you have got the taste that you want, then stop and remove the hops.. I sort of jiggled it like a teabag each day.

On another occasion I might even use less hops in order to extend the time a bit in order to avoid overshooting on the flavour.

Was up at Suttons Bay Ciders near Traverse City and had a great cider dry hopped with Mosaic. It was light, citrusy, crisp. No typical tongue attack - which makes me dislike most IPAs. Gonna snag some & give em a try in 1gal batch [emoji106]

Last edited:
Back