What happens if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, bottle bombs that will throw sweet beer everywhere.

great... i was reluctant to bottle but i followed the direction of my homebrew supplier, who said "you will want to bottle After the third at most fourth day" he said this was a fast fermenting yeast. he also said 7-10 days then move to the fridge.

Not to mention cause some pretty wicked lacerations that you can rinse off with the sweet beer.

Always wait until the primaty fermentation is complete before doing anything with it, bottling or racking to a secondary. Also, after bottling, they can take longer than 2 weeks to carbonate.

In your case, I would open one after a week. If it foams up a bunch, then you're potentially in trouble. I'd just barely open each bottle to relieve the pressure and then re-cap them, and check again in a few days.

Grüner Brauer said:
great... i was reluctant to bottle but i followed the direction of my homebrew supplier, who said "you will want to bottle After the third at most fourth day" he said this was a fast fermenting yeast. he also said 7-10 days then move to the fridge.

He's right about the 7-10 days. I would definitely keep an eye on them, pop one open every day or so to see how it's carbonating. Putting it in the fridge will kill the yeast and prevent anymore unwanted carbonation.
I would think your beer would taste a little odd with all the extra yeast in it but hopefully I'm wrong, I've never had to deal with this sort of problem. Your LHBS must know something that I don't.

Grüner Brauer said:
Where is that guy at? :confused: That's not good advice at all. Fermentation times depend on the yeast, fermentation temp, starting orignal gravity, health of the yeast and a bunch of other stuff.

What yeast did you use?

Yeah. If you notice the pressure getting too high, the fridge will slow down the yeast activity, but not completely stop it. It will buy you more time, though. If they are way overcarbonated, do the vent and recap thing.

I don't want to completely scare you because there is a chance that everything is fine. It's not completely unheard of for the beer to be done fermenting after 3 days. My stout went in on last friday night and there was no airlock activity as of yesterday, basically 4 days, but I'm still letting it sit in the primary of at least a week.

Sounds like Safale S-04. :)

I just used that one in the one gallon I have going that will be my malt vinegar.

When you bottled was there still krausen floating on top of the beer, or was everything pretty still.

there was activity in the airlock, and that made me think i should wait, I bottled anyway tuesday so i should check a bottle on next tuesday? the bottles are at 61 degrees now.

I'd check a little sooner than that, this weekend some time. If the krausen was gone, it was probably getting close to being done. At 61 they shouldn't carb up too fast, but that's good in this case. Check them this weekend.

That is a pic of a tuba. One of the several instruments that I play. I've got orchestra rehearsal in about an hour...

Leave it in the fermenting bucket for a good two weeks. Seems to be the norm for people around here...

Then you will want to leave it in the bottle for at least two weeks. Longer won't really hurt it either way.

And no problem on the help, that's why we're here. And we were all new once and had a ton of questions. If I had found this board when I was first starting a few years ago I would have had all kinds of beginner questions. My advice for all new brewers is to just be patient. The books and other literature out there can make you thing that time is against you and that you have to get your beer out of the primary as soon as it's done. The problem with that is that people over-react and give themselves a whole new set of problems. An extra few days or a week will not hurt, and in most cases will only make better beer.

I must admit that this foul up was my mistake, my LHBS said to RACK to secondary fermenter on fourth day, not bottle. so i must apologize. anyway i opened a beer and it foamed a little but not that much. so i moved all of it to the fridge to let it finish, it also tasted good.

See, that's even too soon, IMO, to rack to secondary. Give it a full week before racking, there is no reason to move it sooner and plenty of reasons to leave it along.

1-2-3 (1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles) really is the best approach for most beers.

Bring a bottle back in, Saturday or Monday. We'll taste it, and see if it is going good.

It was nice meeting you today. (Oh, I'm Steve, from the LHBS.)

steve

cool, ill stop by with a bottle,thanks for the support. my brew is actually drinkable this young, but i can tell it needs something, time most likely. im going to brew the dangerous belgian tomorrow.

i just popped open another one, no foam at all, the beer is very carbonated however. the hydometer reading is around 1.015 @ 65 degrees. should i just age in the fridge (@38 degrees) for a few weeks?

You can place all the bottles in a big cooler and leave them where they are for a while. If they blow, at least they will be in a cooler and will be less of a mess to clean up.

Back