What Grain to Sub for Dark Malt LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I'm converting a recipe that my brother, an extract brewer, gave to me to show him the ropes of AG before he takes the plunge and buys all the equipment. I know the conversion rates for Grain to LME and DME, but what grain do I use to substitute for Dark LME? I'm guessing that 2-row won't cut it...

Well, you're still going to need a base malt. Depends on what you're trying to brew, but then use some darker crystal/ roasted malts.

the darker malt will be a mixture of 2 row (or other base malt) with darker crystal or roasted grains

Here is what Norther Brewer says is in their dark LME. Gives you a clue as to what grains you'd need to replicate it via all grain.

Northern Brewer Dark malt syrup is a blend of pale malt with some caramel 60, Munich, and black malt.

Thanks guys, I thought it might be a mash up of 2-row and some roasted malts.

It's tough to know the exact proportions a company uses in extract production.

What I'd rather see is the style of the beer, the original [extract] recipe, and tasting notes. From that, work backwards from the flavors you want to replicate to build your own grain bill.

The guys here or in the recipes forum can probably help if necessary.

It's tough to know the exact proportions a company uses in extract production.

What I'd rather see is the style of the beer, the original [extract] recipe, and tasting notes. From that, work backwards from the flavors you want to replicate to build your own grain bill.

The guys here or in the recipes forum can probably help if necessary.
This is the right approach. I wouldn't use the same dark malts for a schwarzbier that I would for an oatmeal stout even if they do end up the same color.

Back