Czech Malt: What Makes It Different from Other Malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
This year I failed to procure any Bohemian Malt, which I used every winter to make me some nice Czech Lagers.
Now I'm thinking what to substitute it with. Not that I don't have any good Continental Pilsner Malt, I got a wealth of it: German, Belgian, English, Polish and Danish. I think I'm well (if not exceedingly well) prepared to the coming Lagering Season, planning to brew some 18 to 20 Lagers. I just don't have any Bohemian grain this year.
Flavourwise, my previous Bohemian brews certainly tasted differently from my German of Scandinavian ones. I'm not sure how much the malt was responsible for that however, I guess the taste difference was not as much due to the Czech grain as to the Czech yeast. So I'm a bit uncertain about what was exactly the difference between the Czech Malt and other Pilsner malts.

What do you think, the advanced Lager-brewers, what makes Czech malts unique and different from German or other malts?
Is it the higher (or lower) Protein?
Is it the modification level?

Knowing that I hope to be able to select a better substitute from the malts I have: be that the undermodified Danish Pilsner, or the darker English, or the Protein-rich Polish, or just that overall-perfect German.

I’ve said this before, but for the life of me I can’t tell the difference between Pilsner malts from different maltsters. (No sensory difference to me either between the malt itself or when used in SMaSH lagers.) Other malts that have more character, absolutely, but not Pilsner. That’s a judgment based on taste, not on data sheet numbers. And it’s my taste, so it’s certainly possible someone more sophisticated could spot differences. But as for me, I use the same Pilsner malt for everything — American craft malted, fwiw.

In general, the variety and terroir, the complete natural environment in which a particular malt is grown, including factors such as the soil, topography, and climate - is the major difference in the raw barley. The resulting malt displays these differences in protein content, enzyme levels, etc... (See the malt analysis sheets).

The variety of barley will certainly have a direct influence on the flavor. What varieties are grown in Czech vs Belgium vs Germany vs French vs Uk vs Ireland, etc... regions? How would those varieties change if grown halfway across the world in a different environment?

Things like modification level are not a part of the variety or terroir but are instead a direct result of the malting process itself.

Kilning level (and malting processes) will most certainly affect the flavor and is used to produce different types of malts - lightly kilned malts vs roasted malts vs caramel, etc...

This year I failed to procure any Bohemian Malt, which I used every winter to make me some nice Czech Lagers.
Now I'm thinking what to substitute it with. Not that I don't have any good Continental Pilsner Malt, I got a wealth of it: German, Belgian, English, Polish and Danish. I think I'm well (if not exceedingly well) prepared to the coming Lagering Season, planning to brew some 18 to 20 Lagers. I just don't have any Bohemian grain this year.
Flavourwise, my previous Bohemian brews certainly tasted differently from my German of Scandinavian ones. I'm not sure how much the malt was responsible for that however, I guess the taste difference was not as much due to the Czech grain as to the Czech yeast. So I'm a bit uncertain about what was exactly the difference between the Czech Malt and other Pilsner malts.

What do you think, the advanced Lager-brewers, what makes Czech malts unique and different from German or other malts?
Is it the higher (or lower) Protein?
Is it the modification level?

Knowing that I hope to be able to select a better substitute from the malts I have: be that the undermodified Danish Pilsner, or the darker English, or the Protein-rich Polish, or just that overall-perfect German.

I think ClenEmUpIves pretty much nailed the answer in that it's likely the type of barley in addition to how and where it's grown. I have only used German pilsner malts to brew Czech style lagers and while the results have been very good the flavor is just a bit different than what I get from commercial Czech beers. Honestly I have never tasted Czech malt having not seen it available. Belgian malt is delicious and might be a good one to try but I have no lager experience with it.

The yeast is certainly an important part of the profile so as long as you use a good Czech type strain and either a high quality German or Belgian pils you are going to end up with a very good beer.

I used up a sack of Sekado Czech Bohemian Pilsner this summer. I had to tighten the gap on my mill to get a decent crush. The extract was still very low. I didn't make a Bohemian Pilsner with it. Just Hefeweizens and a few basic lagers. I prefer Castle Pilsner. I have Great Western Idaho Select for my next lagers.

I assume it was undermodified. My last batch was a simple lager with Polish Lubelski hops and WLP833 under pressure. I did a three step infusion mash. Extract was still low. Maybe a decoction mash would help, but I'm not decocting a 15 gallon batch.

What do you think on the Protein content in your Czech malt? Is it high?
I'm searching through the webz and many say the classic Czech malt must be less modified and higher in Protein than German malts.
I don't recall anything special about the Protein content in Czech malts I've used. In comparison, Polish Pilsner Malts were way more Protein-rich, I was getting floating clumps in the kettle even after a 30 mins Protein rest.

I used up a sack of Sekado Czech Bohemian Pilsner this summer. I had to tighten the gap on my mill to get a decent crush. The extract was still very low. I didn't make a Bohemian Pilsner with it. Just Hefeweizens and a few basic lagers. I prefer Castle Pilsner. I have Great Western Idaho Select for my next lagers.

I assume it was undermodified. My last batch was a simple lager with Polish Lubelski hops and WLP833 under pressure. I did a three step infusion mash. Extract was still low. Maybe a decoction mash would help, but I'm not decocting a 15 gallon batch.

The smaller kernel sizes (thus tightening the mill) are the result of malting barley that is not "plump" in a sieve test. It would be the result of a drought or a batch that was just not premium malting barley to begin with. That would explain the low extraction. The malt analysis sheet may tell the tale but in lieu of that you could post a close-up picture of some of the kernels of malted barley. If the acrospire is between 75% and 100% of the length of the kernel it was fully modified.

Back