What Final Gravity Should I Expect? (IPA, maybe IIPA?)Do I need to add yeast at btlg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My recipe doesn't include a final gravity target. This is my second batch and I just want to make sure I know what my target should be when I pull a sample this weekend.

Recipe:
12.5 lbs Briess Light LME
.75 lbs Crystal 50L
.25 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
.5 lbs Wheat Malt

(grains steeped at 160 - 155 for 30 minutes)

1.5 oz Simco (leaf) - 60 min boil
1 oz Citra (leaf) - 15 min boil
1 oz Citra (leaf) .5 Simco (leaf) - 5 min boil

Dry-hopping (haven't done this yet because it's still in the primary):
1 oz Simco (leaf)
1 oz Citra (leaf)

I put 1 tsp Gypsum at the start of the boil and 1 tsp Irish Moss at the 20 min mark.

I used WLP001 and two dry (unhydrated) US-05 packets, gave it some good aeration and put it around 64-66 degrees.

Fermentation was visible after 8 hours sleeping and I've left it in there for 18 days so far, the airlock is still showing some minor activity but the majority of the yeast have dropped out. I'm not going to take a reading until probably Sunday so it'll be there for another few days.

My OG was 1.095 and I obviously want to give the beer the time it needs in the primary but I wanted to know what I should expect for a FG reading for this style. A lot of my research indicates I'll be pretty lucky to drop below 1.02 but my first extract brew went from 1.055 to 1.01 so I'm slightly hopeful. The recipe anticipates 90.1 IBUs, would an FG of 1.02 be appropriate with this high IBU?

Any comments on what you would personally target as an FG would be helpful and perhaps some comments on what the typical target of this style is. I appreciate your help, let me know if you need any additional information.

I know using a secondary is frowned upon in some cases but I was hoping to move the beer to a 5gal secondary on top of the hops so I don't have to use any bags and marbles and so I can free up my only primary for another batch.

If I wait 5 weeks from the brew date and rack to a secondary, should I expect to have to add yeast when bottling to achieve the appropriate carbonation?

Thanks!

I used WLP001 and two dry (unhydrated) US-05 packets, gave it some good aeration and put it around 64-66 degrees.

I recently brewed an all grain IIPA that had an OG of 1.095 and an estimated 115 IBU's. I used two packs of US-05 and had a FG of 1.005.
I don't think you'll have any issues at all with yeast left in suspension. I think you very well could have over pitched.

Both of those yeasts can have an apparent attenuation close to 80%. My guess is that you'll end up somewhere between 1.018-1.021, which will be fine for this recipe. If you're in that range when you measure Sunday (and it probably will be,) you can rack to secondary then instead of waiting 5 weeks. Frees up your primary. If you want to eek out a few more points, you can try warming it up for a few days prior to transfer. You won't need any yeast at bottling.

Sounds like a good beer!

So, I pulled a sample today almost 1.02 on the dot, maybe 1.019. This makes the beer approx 9.8-9.9% ABV with an attenuation of around 78-79%, with an extract brew I'm pretty good with this. Though, it's a bit sweet and I would prefer to maybe drop off a few points down to 1.016 or so.. But it's been in there for around 20 days now, I think I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow and confirm it's stabilized before racking to the secondary.

By the way
, the sample I pulled on this bad boy is freaking delicious. If it were a little less sweet it might be one of the best I(I)PAs I've personally had, that's just because it has a really nice balance between hop flavor, bitterness and sweetness for my tastes. Right now that major thing it's lacking is hop aroma, after this dryhop and I bottle, I 'm not sure I'm gonna be able to wait 3+ weeks for this beer to finish up in the bottle before I crack one open.

My biggest mistake was using all my smaller bottles on my last batch, all I have left now are 1 liter grolsch tops, this small pre-dinner sample has me slighty buzzed, I can't imagine what 34oz is going to feel like... I'm scared.. :drunk:

With LME and those specialty grains, I would expect 1.018-1.022 for a FG.

Many people will use some simple sugars in a recipe for an IIPA just so that it ferments more fully, and gets a higher attenuation.

I'd generally leave an IIPA in the fermenter for about 2 weeks or so before dryhopping (assuming it's pretty clear at that point) and then packaging about 5-7 days after that.

I racked it to the secondary today after letting it hang around 68-70 all night, pulled another point off the beer (or I had too many beers yesterday when I took my reading) and it's sitting right on 1.018 now. This is good enough for me, pulled another sample while dry hopping because.. well, it's good... :p

I'm actually questioning whether I should even bother bottling or just drink it right from the secondary :cross:

My wife tried it and hated it, so I know it has that great hoppy flavor I like which will ensure the entire batch is mine, all mine! I asked her to tell me what it smelled like to her and she said "a fraternity basement" so that means it's got some malty aroma. Once the hop aroma is in, allll should be good!

Back