What else do I need to buy with Chugger Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I will be purchasing a chugger pump this Saturday. FINALLY! No more lifting 10 gallon batches. I have two converted keggles with ball valves. One for heating water and one for boil. What other materials should I purchase? I don't want to do the quick connects. Id love to, but its a question of money. I know I need silicone hoses as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Depending on what you're using it for, you might want a ball valve for the out side of the pump. They don't come with variable speed control, so unless you want to go full power all the time, you'll want to control the flow with a valve.

They also don't have power switches. If it's plugged in, it's on. So a plan for dealing with that could be nice.

Ahh, ball valve. Thanks. Completely forgot about no flow control. Much appreciated. The power issue I can deal with.

I'd like to tell you that a beer pump by itself is really useful, but I'd be lying. You're going to be spending a good deal of money on other fittings in order to use the thing. At the very least, you're going to need a 2-piece ball valve on the output side of the pump and barb fittings on both ends of the pump in order to connect the hoses, as well as barb fittings on the ends of your pot connections. And you'll need hose clamps and silicon hose.

Personally, I think that barb fittings are a pain to use, and they restrict flow quite a bit. I'd save up and get some camlock quick disconnects and do it right.

I have the barbs for the kegs but not the pump. I'd love the camlocks and will get them eventually. I would need them for the kegs themselves and the hose correct? And how much do they usually run? The HB store doesn't have them.

Now Im really going to start bugging you. :) Im looking on brewers hardware right now. What parts would I need? The 1/2Cam Lock Cam and Groove Adapter X 1/2" Male NPT and 1/2" Cam Lock Cam and Groove Adapter X 1/2" Hose Barb? The prices aren't bad. Thinking about ordering them now.

You could get a little GFCI plugin from home cheapo or lowes and use that as a "switch" for the pump. Plus it gives you gfci protection. Something to think about.

By the time you get some silicon hose, fittings, valves and so on, you will find that the pump is not THAT expensive once you add up the rest of the items.

Well I'm lucky with the pump. The local HBS does a buy 6 things and then the 7th is 10% off the total of the first 6 purchases. Well, I spend a lot of money there so the pump will be about $90 instead of $150.

I will take a look at the plugin. Not a bad idea obviously.

Now Im really going to start bugging you. :) Im looking on brewers hardware right now. What parts would I need? The 1/2Cam Lock Cam and Groove Adapter X 1/2" Male NPT and 1/2" Cam Lock Cam and Groove Adapter X 1/2" Hose Barb? The prices aren't bad. Thinking about ordering them now.

It basically is determined by your setup. A or F style. I use "A" on the input and output of my pump, and put my ballvalve on the Keggle when there is a "F". Since you already have some barbed fittings, you can save a bit and buy "D" connectors and use your barbs.

I put 'A' and 'F' fittings on all the hard stuff, kettles, pump, chiller, etc. I used the high-flow version of the 'C' on the ends of my hose. Makes it easy to re-configure for different tasks. Also limits the number of more expensive 'C' fittings needed.

Back