What do you think of this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this recipe I'll try tomorrow?

11# 2 - row
1# Cara pils
4 oz 90L Chrystal
2 oz english chocolate

1 oz Chinook at FWH
1 oz Chinook at boil
1 oz cascade 45 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade end
1 oz cascade dry in secondary
1056 dry yeast
irish moss
Gypsym
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

yield 5.5 gal

I'm thinking that will give me a hoppy, bitter IPA. but I don't know if the Grain bill is enogh to stand up to the hops. I've been getting about 78-83 percent.

I'm thinking of an additional 4 oz Chrystal

Any thoughts?

Looks good (I like dark beers)... why the salt though? Your also not going to need irish moss since this is not going to be clear.

No. I''ve used that grain bill before. It is not dark. It is just a shade darker than Sam Adams Lager.

It's only 2oz of chocolate, and 4oz of 90L Chrystal.

The salt brings out the flavors of the hops and, I have very soft water. But I don't want to get into the water.

And it will be clear. No reason why it shouldn't be. Unless I F it up.

Thanks Beer snob, and Rev, I'm more unsure if the beer will be balanced. In regards to hops - malt. The color I'm not so concerned about.

It's a bit too much hops for the style, at least on the bittering end. I would not put the cascade in at 45 and 30 but add it in at about 5 minutes. All of the chinook should do the bittering job just fine. Let me check some more numbers...

And you're right on the color. It's fine. Check out this modified hop schedule:

1 oz. Chinook FWH
1 oz. Chinook 60
1 oz. Cascade 15
1.5 oz. Cascade 5
1.5 oz. Cascade 0
1 oz Cascade Dry

Even with this the IBU's are coming in at 74 with the OG only at 1.064 using 78% efficiency. This is also assuming AA% and whole hops.

sorry about that, you are right. i failed to see that you are only using oz not pounds. wow, long monday so far.

Back